Dr Laugesen's Ruyan cartridge safety report (21 Oct 08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
ok here's the thing (I didn't read the whole hting, but was struck by one issue- I may be wrong, as I said, I didn't read the hwole hting, and am not sure how the different elements were administered)-

He gave ingredients like 4-Hydroxy-2, 5-dmethyl-3(2H)-furanone (FEMA 3174, CoE 536) to rats- but the thing is that he gave them to the rats in their liquid form, not in a vaporized form, which can and does change the chemical makeup of certain elements.

We as Vaporers need to know whether these elements are safe AFTER being vaporized

A 2-year study in which rat were given a dose up to 400mg/kg bw from diet daily showed no evidence of carcinogenicity. Considering the fact that NOEL of 200mg/kg bw in rat is >2300 times the daily intake as a flavoring agent, the WHO Committee on Food Additives concludes that “the safety of this agent would not be a concern at the estimated current intake”1.

Fed in a diet- not given through vaporization.

Thanks for posting htis- always good to have more info on what we're taking in

baalel

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Watford, UK
Interesting reading, though I was a little puzzled by the Carbon Monoxide section where it states

As nicotine has a low vapor pressure, the piezoelectric ceramic element in the e-cigarette is needed to cause vaporization of the nicotine-propylene glycol solution.

I was under the impression that no devices on the market used piezoelectric vapourizers, all using the cheaper heating coil atomizers instead

edisme518123

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2008
Daytona Beach, Florida (USA)
pi·e·zo·e·lec·tric·i·ty (pī-ē'zō-ĭ-lěk-trĭs'ĭ-tē, -ē'lěk-, pē-ā'zō-) Pronunciation Key
n. The generation of electricity or of electric polarity in dielectric crystals subjected to mechanical stress, or the generation of stress in such crystals subjected to an applied voltage. source: piezoelectric definition | Dictionary.com

The vaporizer we use works very similarly to the heating element of a hair straightener. Electricity passes through a ceramic medium creating mechanical "wave energy." This "wave energy" passes through the filament causing it to vibrate rapidly and generate heat. This heat is then absorbed within and projected through the ceramic element and the wire wool surrounding it, thereby heating the contents of the wire wool and the liquid around it, causing vapor to be produced.

It sounds complex, but in essence it's pretty simple and comes out to be the atomizer that we know of. This method of heating is quite energy efficient and allows for a more accurate control of heat with minimized burning.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Naz, I dont even think he tested it in the rats himself. he was referring to a study in made 1989 but i think you have a point about it being in tested in vaporized form. i read the whole paper trying to find the part about the fiber in the carts but alas no such part. he does analyse every ingredient that is a part of the vapour so perhaps it didnt register but we all know that sometimes the fibers can melt/burn or what-ever they do, so im hyper-interested as to their contents.

Mamba

Jun 19, 2008
U.S.A.
i read the whole paper trying to find the part about the fiber in the carts but alas no such part. he does analyse every ingredient that is a part of the vapour so perhaps it didnt register but we all know that sometimes the fibers can melt/burn or what-ever they do, so im hyper-interested as to their contents.
My guess is this is where the styrene is coming from. This report shows very low levels of styrene, but what would the levels be if the cartridge floss was melting/burning?

Wikipedia: Styrene

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
E-smoking can't get any more justified as an alternative to tobacco cigarettes than this. It's all there, even the studies cited in the germ-killing vapor thread. This report says what Naz has long wanted to say: Not only is e-smoking (a Ruyan product) safer than smoking a tobacco cigarette, but it is SAFE period! I'm sure this report was completed in time for the mid-November WHO conference on e-smoking. Ruyan will likely be the only company with any kind of serious clinical information to consider. Here's hoping ...

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Came across this earlier - not sure if it's already been posted on the forum(sorry couldn't link for some reason:

Comprehensive Safety Tests Published on Ruyan(R) Smoking Alternatives
Tests Conducted in New Zealand and Canada Find Ruyan E-cigarettes Safe; Results Apply Only to Ruyan Products

Last update: 12:42 p.m. EDT Oct. 28, 2008

MINNEAPOLIS, Oct 28, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Ruyan America, Inc., announced today the publication of a report that tested the safety of its electronic smoking alternatives, specifically the nicotine cartridges that produce the smoke-like vapor that users find satisfies their desire for tobacco. The report summary states that the test results confirm that the Ruyan(R) E-cigarette is a safe alternative to smoking, very safe relative to cigarettes and safe in absolute terms on all measurements that were applied. The summary also notes that the report findings refer only and specifically to Ruyan products.

The tests were conducted by Dr. Murray Laugesen of Health New Zealand, Ltd, who also authored the report, and they were performed by seven leading government, university and commercial laboratories in New Zealand and Canada. Ruyan funded the tests and the report, but had no role in the design of the tests or any input with respect to the findings in the report. No completed tests were withheld from the report, which can be viewed in its entirety at http://healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport21-Oct-08.pdf.

Alexander Chong, CEO of Ruyan America, Inc., commented, "We are pleased to have Dr. Laugesen publish these results, validating the safety of our groundbreaking products and this relatively new product category. But, as the summary states, these results apply only to Ruyan and its products."

Chong went on to note how important these tests are expected to be to distributors, retailers and consumers of the products. "Given how critical ingredients like flavorings and scents are to the overall safety profile of the product, we believe that it's very important for distributors, retailers and consumers to demand this kind of information from anyone claiming the right to market or sell similar products."

About the Products

The Ruyan V-8 E-cigarette is a sophisticated electronic device with patents granted in China and Europe and Patents Pending in the US. The device atomizes purified, liquid nicotine and produces a vapor that, when inhaled, satisfies a smoker's craving for tobacco. The vapor contains none of the harmful chemicals commonly found in traditional cigarette smoke and none of those chemicals considered poisonous or carcinogenic. When and if the vapor is expelled, it does not contain any of the harmful chemicals found in second hand smoke. Cartridges for the Ruyan E-cigarette are available in regular and menthol flavors. The Ruyan V-8 was named the most innovative new product at the 2008 Tobacco Plus Expo.
The Ruyan Vegas E-cigar comes in two varieties, the Classic, which contains 16 mg of nicotine, and the Freestyle, which is nicotine free. Both E-cigars produce a thick, flavorful vapor that satisfies a user's tobacco cravings. The Ruyan Vegas E-cigar was named the most marketable new product at the 2008 Tobacco Plus Expo.
Ruyan smoking alternatives do not produce tobacco smoke or smoke of any kind and, as such, do not violate smoking bans or restrictions. Users have successfully satisfied tobacco urges in all states and in all places where smoking is otherwise restricted.

Anyway, it seems to be an article I found on a website (marke****ch.com) directly linking the Laugesen Ruyan safety report and certainly proves another positive read and further justification for all us converts! :thumb:

Last edited:

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Anyway, it seems to be an article I found on a website (marke****ch.com)

This is strange, every time I try and type in the link or even the name marke****ch, it seems to automatically edit part of the word with ****!

This is the reason I couldn't link to the site!! 8-o

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
he does analyse every ingredient that is a part of the vapour .

If that's the case, (and again, I haven't read hte whole thing), then that more than satisfies as the actual ingredeints coming out in the vapor are really what we have to worry about- that, and like you said, the burning fiber.- I'll have to check the article a bit more closely to see if this is hte case- If so, like TB said, I think we can all rest assured now that it isn't hte great unknown anymore and we can relax a bit :)

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
The summary also notes that the report findings refer only and specifically to Ruyan products.

"Given how critical ingredients like flavorings and scents are to the overall safety profile of the product, we believe that it's very important for distributors, retailers and consumers to demand this kind of information from anyone claiming the right to market or sell similar products."

Hmmmmmmmm- Ruyan trying to bully other competitors out of the marketplace by snuggling up with the WHO & in essence demanding other companies run expensive tests before they have the "Right" to distribute their products?

Happi

Oct 5, 2008
Danmark
Comment. The two experiments using different puff sizes very clearly demonstrate that only the latter part of the puffs results in a substantial dosing of the user with propylene glycol (and hence nicotine). It seems the user will get little benefit from a short puff. Further work is needed to clarify whether this is indeed due to difference in puff volume, or to flow velocity, or to number of puffs from the beginning of the session.
In the first experiment, nicotine was not detected after the 38 ml puff. Nicotine is known to adhere to surfaces, and it may have adhered to the side of the Tedlar bag.

This suggest that small amounts of vapour does not give much, if any, nicotine. This is also my experience, when puffing with a weak atomizer, I don't seem to get the nic hit I need, and thus crave the cigarettes 8-o

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
we can all rest assured now that it isn't hte great unknown anymore and we can relax a bit
I dunno naz, i guess only if you're toking ruyan products. or if you can deduce that the exact ingredients in your carts match those from ruyan. it should be the case if everyone ripped them off properly, but then we know that chinese factories are no strangers to cutting corners.

Hmmmmmmmm- Ruyan trying to bully other competitors out of the marketplace by snuggling up with the WHO & in essence demanding other companies run expensive tests before they have the "Right" to distribute their products?

Bingo, i would be doing it too if i just spent a wad and it must have been a wad. still they probably already made it back from selling $5 carts to folks who buy off infomercials.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
This is strange, every time I try and type in the link or even the name marke****ch, it seems to automatically edit part of the word with ****!

This is the reason I couldn't link to the site!!

you got de-railed by the forum police. ****s are a no-no. flanges, minges, dicks and rogers are a-ok.

here's the link

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I have a very basic question after the report: Are Janty cartridges made by Ruyan?

Are any other liquids or cartridges branded by anyone else made by Ruyan?

Ruyan has the patents; now Ruyan has the clinical trial. When e-smoking comes before regulators, it could be only Ruyan that gets a pass. I've not looked at Ruyan cartridge prices in the U.S., but Janty's are $1 apiece. That's extremely reasonable. If the contents are of proven safety, we know where to go.

Yes, Naz, everything in that trial applies exclusively to Ruyan. That's only fair. They paid for the seed; they profit from the harvest.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
Bingo, i would be doing it too if i just spent a wad and it must have been a wad. still they probably already made it back from selling $5 carts to folks who buy off infomercials.

The only hting is htough that they may be biting off their noses to spite hteir faces- by strongarming smaller manufacturers out of the game by causing the WHO to demand smaller companies run expensive tests, Ruyan is basically making it harder and harder for more andm ore people to try esmoking- thus cutting out a great many potential customers. Ruyan will keep their prices high because htere won't be any real competition, and htose that can compete will also keep their prices high due to testing costs, and hte fact that there is no real incentive to lower prices because htere will be no competition.

The same hting happened in the automobile industry, and prices remained high- Several ingenious inventions came on the market which lowered costs, extended fuel etc, and a couple of folks were able to build innexpensive autos, but htey were strongarmed out of the game, and thus hte public was forced to keep paying more and more.

I dunno- just seems like Ruyan is pushing for regulations that will make it impossible for smaller companies- Pillbox just ran into a pill of crap from regulators, and now he's goign to be forced to revamp- but it's goign to get a lot harder when the giants start tryign to momopolize the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread