Dr Loi's cleaning solution, my modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Dr loi's original solution called for the wool from a used cart, with the addition of 3ml of normal saline plus 1ml of juice.

I've modified that to make it easier for me and perhaps you to use.

What do I use now.
I bought a 0.9% saline (sodium chloride, NaCl, salt) solution in a 20ml container. This is a common size.

In a 30ml eye dropper bottle I put the entire contents of the saline and added the wool from a mostly used cartridge together with the wool and the plastic cart, with the mouth piece removed, from 2 (two) unused regular flavour carts ... Why did I put the plastic pieces into the solution ? I noticed there was quite a bit of juice still remaining in the bottom of the plastic cart I wanted included. I also think the plastic components will help stabilise the solution to a greater extent than the wool alone. Please also note I used a BROWN coloured glass bottle, nicotine is photosensitive, i.e. It discolours and may degrade when exposed to light. That's why carts have opaque containers and covers.

I gave the solution some serious mixing by shaking the **** out of it several times over a couple of hours, pick up, shake, put down, shake again when I remember too, and then left it until the next day.

the next day, I again gave it a serious shake-up and then put 3 (three) drops from the eye dropper into the atomizer.

I put the atomizer aside for a couple of minutes to allow the solution to percolate through the whole thing.

I put a mouthpiece / inhaler on the unit and drew slowly on it until the LED flashed to show cut off. Steam was produced in increasingly vast quantities for the first 10-15 puffs, after that it began to decrease. I continued until the vapour produced was minimal.

Next was the addition of a fresh cart. I inhaled 10 or so times with a fresh cart in place and then placed it aside to allow the juice from the cart to be sucked into the metal wool surrounding the atomizer coil. This was the end of the day so it was able to sit there all night.

The following morning I certainly did notice a change, there was a considerable increase in the amount of vapour produced, and it increased with each puff for maybe 3-5 puffs the stabilised. the flavour had improved. previously with two of the atomizers cleaned I had noticed a burnt sort of flavour, this was now gone.

I wonder if the effect of the material others have noticed in the centre of the atomizer coil has been negated ?

There is a slight saltiness to the flavour of the "smoke" produced, I do not find this unattractive, in fact it may increase my appreciation of some flavours, e.g. licourice, I like salty dutch licourice, it maybe time to retry that.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you and gets either, your dead, near dead or otherwise atomizers working again

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
update 6th july

All of the atomizers I cleaned using the modified solution are still working as well as before. One thing i have noticed is that they all now have a slight and I do mean slight, salty flavour to them. i am not overly surprised by this and for the most part enjoy it as an addition to the flavour cart I am smoking.

It appears the salt is left behind as a residue on the internal components of the atomizer and is being removed slowly as time passes with use of regular ppg flavoured juice.

Salt is regularly added to tobacco products now as a flavour enhancer, it's for example an integral part of snus. i must admit the slight salt inflection has coloured my assessment of the e-cig cartridge flavours and fror that reason I will be only using non cleaned with soloution, recently ordered atomizers from now on.

For general day to day use I am not unhappy with the new slight salt inflection, frankly I like it.

For my next batch of cleaning solution I will try using only pure water, this will not affect the on going smoking flavour, but i wonder if it will as effective. I think the salt content of the cleaning fluid is what creates the cleaning action in the first place ... comments please from those with more knowledgge than I.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
My fear when Dr. Loi first posted his cleaning solution idea was that salt residue would be left on the atomizer and its roll cage! Even overnight, it would attract moisture and initiate rusting.

I know I made a mistake in cooking tobacco in salty liquid. I had a salt taste to everything for more than a day -- proof that residue remains. I threw out everything I had made using salt and will never use it again. I'd be fearful to try "cleaning" with any salt solution. Pure water. Pure alcohol. I alternate between the two

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
hmm, that does pose an interesting array of questions concerning the construction of the various parts of the atomizer.

For the atomizer to rust it would need to be made of a ferrous based material. that would mean either an iron or steel wool is used for the surrounding parts. I thought the wool used was of a stainless steel manufacture, but would stand correction there. The heater element I am almost certain is made from nichrome wire and would therefore not rust.

Last edited:

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Good thought Nazareth,

hydrogen peroxide is exceptionally good at oxidising/removing biologicals, it may also work here just as effectively. How strong to use is the question I guess, 20 vol, 40 vol or 60 vol ?

It may not dry out as well as water, water is H2O and hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, it's boiling point is 1580C / 316.40F so higher than water, but when it's heated it breaks down to be (2H2O2 ==> 2H2O + O2). That's water plus oxygen. But the drying will depend on what it's diluted with in the first place, it will need some further research before we go ahead and recommend it

Are you going to try it and see if it works ?

Last edited:

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
the only Hydro I have is the weak 3% stuff that you can rinse mo0uth with- so it should be ok to try in the atomizer- I've got one atomizer that simply will NOT draw liquid from the Carts for some reason, and only works by dripping- so I mgiht give it a try on that one as it's useless as it is for smoking like the pen is supposed to- with a cart- I've got another that is gettign very weak, I might possibly try it on that too- the two need somethign doen ot them evidently, so yeah, I might try it, but wish I had strogner hydro- but it might work- simple rinsing with water doesn't seem to work- perhaps the hydro might.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
ok- I just soaked one of my old 'dead' atomizers (the atomizer would simpyl not draw any liquid fro mthe cart- would just burn off what was in the atomizer itsel;f, then nothing- no vapor, just burnt taste and smell- even htough I had new carts in) in the hydrogen peroxide- then rinsed with water, blew the excess water out of it- let it dry a bit, and primed it with juice- smoking good now- much easier to draw too than it was when it was 'dying' - I'm not sure why the atomizer was not drawing liquid from the carts before- I tried everything to get it to work and nothign did- boiled it, blew through battery end for 10 seconds, boiled it in water and baking soda- nothign worked- now it's working pretty well- not as good as brand new one, but still ok I guess- will see how logn it lasts- I'd given up on the atomizer, but it appears it's got soem morel ife yet- dunno if the Hydrogen was the trick or not, but it's now workin- workign even better than my one I've only used for 7 days total. Might be worth a try if yall got soem that you think might be dead- ones you've given up on- Hydrogen peroxide is dirt cheap

Last edited:

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm keen to try using hydrogen peroxide as well Nazareth, but I'm having troble sourcing it in suitable sized containers ... I really only need 100ml or so, the smallest I've found so far here is 1 litre. Anything smaller is filled with all sorts of crap, like phosphoric acid of example.

Based on a post from TB I'm also going to give ethanol (alcohol) a go.

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
Nazareth,

Did you get a funky taste after using the hydrogen peroxide? I did my prepping the same way as I always do but now I am getting a terrible taste from my atomizer.

I have put some extra extra drops of e-liquid in my atomizer and am letting it soak until I get home to try it again and see if the taste is gone.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
dnakr, I rinsed it rerally well with just tap water, then I blew out the atomizer from the top (Not hte batter side but from the Cartridge side) until no more liquid came out, then I primed it with some smoking liquid, and puffed it for about 15 or so puffs without inhaling, primed it again, and then stuck a cart in- I noticed only a very slight taste, but it didn't last long at all. You might want ot just rinse it & blow htrough it a few times- My sense of taste really isn't all that great- so I might just not be noticing it as well as I should, but doing it that way seems fien for me

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
As I mentioned, my sense of taste isn't hte greatest, so maybe mine do have a bad taste & I just don't taste it- I had to blow into the atomizer quite hard to get hte excess water out- & I did this a few times- would fill it, shake and blow it out, fill again- repeat. This should dilute whatever is left inside enough that it should...should help with hte taste, but see what happens- if worse coems to worse, and you can't get the taste out, you could try simmering it in water with baking soda for a bit- that shoudl dilute the hydrogen taste enough.

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
dnakr,

You need to check what's in your hydrogen peroxide before using it, yeah, I know we all have 20-20 hindsight on things like this, but what I think you're getting is a nasty taste from whatever has been used to dilute the peroxide. Hunting around here, that's NZ stores most of the peroxide I've seen is diluted with phosphoric acid and a whole bunch of other junk.
So I'm not going to continue down this track, I think it might be the wrong path to take. I'm instead going to look harder at using ethanol, that's alcohol, the same as you get in booze.

DEFINATELY NOT METHANOL that stuff is poisonous.

I'm thinking that ethanol and a pure water combination might be what will work, perhaps with the inclusion of some juice or perhaps just some propylene glycol. I'll keep you updated as I progress through this

Last edited:

MNZ

NZ Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Kate,

I wouldn't do that if i was you, methylated spirits is denatured alcohol, ethanol with other stuff added to it effectively. One of the ingredients is an extremely bitter tasting chemical. This maybe left behind in your atomizer and give you the bitter taste if you use it.

If your meths is clear, it quite likely has bitrex in it, if it's purple it probably has pyridine in it

My advice, don't do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread