Dr. Whelan Speaks Out - Washington Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
There is a fabulous article in today's Washington Times by Dr. Elizabeth Whelan FDA smoke screen on e-cigarettes - Washington Times

The headline is
FDA smoke screen on e-cigarettes

Cigarette substitute produces no deadly smoke

The first sentence reads:
"At a time when the government is ostensibly trying to cut health costs, why is it trying to ban something that might help people quit smoking tobacco, perhaps the most devastating health problem in the U.S.?"

Dr. Whelan calls the FDA report a "distorted, incomplete, and misleading statement." She provided some background info on the history of cigarettes that I found interesting. I learned something new.

I love her closing paragraph:
"Any alternative acceptable to addicted smokers should be taken seriously. Instead of condemning the e-cigarette, the FDA should be sponsoring studies to evaluate its safety and efficacy -- leaving it on the market in the interim. "

UptownRiot

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
There are a couple of really important things to note here.

1) This is not something posted on some random personal website, or on blogspot, this is in a reputable and well established newspaper.

2) Dr. Elizabeth Whelan is president of the American Council on Science and Health, and not an industry insider, or discredited researcher.

We are really starting to build some momentum with rallying outsiders to our cause. Spreading the word with things like this to those that are either uninformed, or misinformed by what other media outlets have been regurgitating from the FDA.

tannerk

ECF Veteran
Oh yes, ACSH has been a long time advocate for "realistic" alternatives and strong critic for politically driven bias. Back on in '08 ACSH countered WHO statements with this:

The World Health Organization (WHO) recently criticized electronic cigarettes, or nicotine-delivery devices that simulate the act of smoking. "The WHO is arguing that they haven't been assessed for safety and they might not help people quit smoking real cigarettes," Dr. Whelan says. "In any case, it seems like there are far better ways to get a nicotine hit."

Stier counters, "We need to give people as many tools as possible to help them quit smoking. Electronic cigarettes could be a valuable harm reduction tool" -- and harm reduction options are something ACSH consistently advocates. Dr. Ross adds, "Doesn't the WHO have more important things to do than to criticize this rarely-used technology whose only possible effect would be to reduce the consumption of lethal cigarettes among addicted smokers?"

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I just posted a review of the article on Digg. If you don't have an account, it only takes a few seconds to register and costs nothing. This link should take you to the listing:
Search for "FDA smoke screen"

Then all you need to do is click the "Digg" button. Hurry before the Anti-Nic Nazis see this and click the "Bury" button.

I guess a 63-year old grandmother isn't too old to learn a new technology trick or two.

Two-A-T

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
St Pauls, NC USA
There are a couple of really important things to note here.

1) This is not something posted on some random personal website, or on blogspot, this is in a reputable and well established newspaper.

2) Dr. Elizabeth Whelan is president of the American Council on Science and Health, and not an industry insider, or discredited researcher.

We are really starting to build some momentum with rallying outsiders to our cause. Spreading the word with things like this to those that are either uninformed, or misinformed by what other media outlets have been regurgitating from the FDA.
I completely agree which is why WE all need to be forwarding this article to our local media (targeting TV stations and other newspapers that have run negative stories on ecigs) and cross-posting it on our blogs, myspace, facebook, twitter, etc because the source lends more credibility! The article has share it options at the end (look for the "Share" button) for easy emailing and cross-posting :)

PS - anyone else having problems with Twitter today??

Last edited:

UptownRiot

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I completely agree which is why WE all need to be forwarding this article to our local media (targeting TV stations and other newspapers that have run negative stories on ecigs) and cross-posting it on our blogs, myspace, facebook, twitter, etc because the source lends more credibility! The article has share it options at the end (look for the "Share" button) for easy emailing and cross-posting :)

PS - anyone else having problems with Twitter today??

I've been using the articles posted here to educate the people I work with, and have converted a few already, with many more very interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread