Drag X turn itself off every other draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherS

May 19, 2022
England
I have a really frustrating issue with my Drag X for the past 2 months, and nothing I've been able to do has fixed it. I can't have more than 2 draws before it turns itself off. I have tried everything from tightening every screw, cleaning everything (I stripped the entire thing down to PCB) and changing batteries (tried 4 different (brand new)).

My vape is possibly considered old? at 11 months, and just hit the 80k vapes taken mark (I'm a chain smoker it seems). Obviously Voopoo claim there is only a 90 day warranty, but seeing how this is effecting many people here and over on Reddit (I've seen at least 20 different people with the same issue), I'm curious if there is a fix. I've installed the most recent software from their website, and I've left my vape in the sun to dry just in-case there is any micro-liquid leaks that I've read about too.

All I've seen from other users (literally everyone that contacted Voopoo said this too, so it's not just a one-off), is that Voopoo says we have to post our vape to China (at our expense) for them to investigate, and if any issue if found, we will be given a voucher to use on their website (minus postage costs). The other side of this is if it's found to be user error, of course we're out of pocket with the cost of shipping to China and they will charge us to return it back.

This was my first vape, so I'm curious to know if anyone could give me tips on what other brands make reliable ones. I don't think I'm going to buy another Voopoo after the issues I've had and the ridiculous policy of having to send my vape to China for them to investigate as I'd need to buy another during this time anyway.

Thanks all,
Christopher.

EDIT: I would like to elaborate with my displeasure over the idea of sending my Vape to China. Of course I know this should be tested back at a company base, but sending it to the other side of the world, with an expense more than what I paid, that's what's ridiculous. If they wanted me to send it somewhere in the UK, that would be fine and something I would do.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Quite frankly most Chinese manufacturers use the same sort of caveats to deter people from using their warranties.
Most people consider vaping devices as consumables and expect a limited user life. 11 months doesn't sound too off the mark.
The alternative to treating mods as throw-away products is to spend a lot more (often two or three times the price) on, for instance, Evolv products that have better circuit board quality control - check out Jac Vapour for reasonably priced, better quality devices.
In a nutshell - buy cheap and take a chance or spend more for (general) peace of mind.

ChristopherS

May 19, 2022
England
Most people consider vaping devices as consumables and expect a limited user life. 11 months doesn't sound too off the mark.

The alternative to treating mods as throw-away products is to spend a lot more (often two or three times the price) on, for instance, Evolv products that have better circuit board quality control - check out Jac Vapour for reasonably priced, better quality devices.

Thank you for this sound advice. I was of the opinion that with replaceable batteries, these devices would last for longer than a battery does. The batteries come with 500 cycles (my first fully charged still lasted me a whole day) and this vape does not haha.

Thank you for these names, I'd never heard of these brands, and looking through the internet for "reliable" vapes overwhelms me with information I can't sift through. Most of the time I've only seen marketing fluff that claims their vapes are the best in the world blah blah blah.

I've looked into Jac Vapour just now and think their Series-B DNA 75W is perfect. The only issue is that they are out of stock with their tanks, and it doesn't come with one as standard. It does say that this is compatible with 510 tanks, so I'm going to see if I can figure what that means and if I can buy one of these somewhere haha.

But, I am very thankful to you for taking your time to help point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Christopher.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Actually it's not something i've thought about - but you may have a valid point regarding batteries lasting longer than the device... A little tip - register on the Jac Vapour site, add the product to your cart and leave it a couple of days. They sometimes send out a discount email as an encouragement to complete the purchase..

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    11 months doesn't sound too off the mark.
    I have and still use an iStick 60W. I've had it for 6 or 7 years, so there's a lot of canvas for my mark.. :)
    Thank you for this sound advice. I was of the opinion that with replaceable batteries, these devices would last for longer than a battery does.
    I've had (actually probably not had to yet, but not a bad idea) to buy new batteries 2 or 3 times in that 6 or 7 years.. :)

That 510 thing you've run into pretty much means for you that just about any 510 mod will power just about any 510 tank. :2c:

• Informative
    Reactions: ChristopherS

ChristopherS

May 19, 2022
    England
    @ppeeble I've take your advice and registered with the product in my cart. Thanks for this idea, I'll be sure to let you know if I manage to get a discount for this.

@somdcomputerguy 6 or 7 years sounds like a dream to me, and kind of what I was hoping for. The reason I went with a Drag X for my first was that you can change the pod and you can change the battery. I assumed that the rest of the device wouldn't be out of commission so soon. Although, today I've been extensively reading through this forum and reddit, where I have seen people with the exact issue I have, but their devices could be as new as 2 months old.

It really does sound like there is some form of manufacturing defect with Voopoo products.

Thank you for elaborating on the 510 thing. When I first read it today on the product page, I thought it meant there are 510 pod products that are compatible, I could have slapped my forehead with embarrassment when I read up on it to find this is the name for threaded pods! Silly ignorant me eh? Haha!

Thank you both for your time helping me with this, without you inputs I would have been pretty lost on where to go next.

Thanks,
    Christopher.

gloopdegurp

DIY Hack
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2022
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hi, Christopher, the 510 connector is how many tanks attach to a mod and are interchangeable between brands.
    Here is a pic where all are different brands than the mod but will attach just fine,

IMG_20220520_162509178.jpg

Hoping this is of some help!

EDIT: Haha, just saw you responded as I was composing my post!

ChristopherS

May 19, 2022
    England
    Hi, Christopher, the 510 connector is how many tanks attach to a mod and are interchangeable between brands.
    Here is a pic where all are different brands than the mod but will attach just fine,

View attachment 974965

Hoping this is of some help!

EDIT: Haha, just saw you responded as I was composing my post!

Yeah I felt foolish when I did a quick google after writing my post here. The product page said "this is compatible with 510 pods". I took that a bit too literal haha!

Thanks for the image though, it's nice to see the real thing and what to expect.

Although I've had my Drag X for almost a year, I literally bought it and looked no further into it. I am still basically new to it all and have no clue. This forum has actually been extremely helpful to me, and I do appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Christopher.

Reactions: gloopdegurp

gloopdegurp

DIY Hack
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2022
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Yeah I felt foolish when I did a quick google after writing my post here. The product page said "this is compatible with 510 pods". I took that a bit too literal haha!

Thanks for the image though, it's nice to see the real thing and what to expect.

Although I've had my Drag X for almost a year, I literally bought it and looked no further into it. I am still basically new to it all and have no clue. This forum has actually been extremely helpful to me, and I do appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Christopher.

No worries! I felt a bit foolish when I posted and saw that you already had it sorted.

Please don't hesitate to ask here for guidance or with any questions you might have. This is a wonderful community with great folks, most of whom are more knowledgeable than I am.
    I found my way here often over the years looking for answers through internet searches but only just joined recently.

Best wishes,
    Ron

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Silly ignorant me eh? Haha!
    Please don't knock yourself for not knowing. None of it is all that complicated (well, things like Temperature Coefficient of Resistance are but you'll never need them) but there's some stuff you have to learn with vaping, including terminology. (YouTube reviewer: It has a wide-bore 810 Delrin drip tip. Me: Does Google translate have a vape-to-English option?)

"Voopoo Victim" is apparently a thing. To the company's credit, though, they seem to have listened and made some improvements in reliability & durability, if reviews of recent products can be believed. We'll see.

When starting out, i reasoned that a mod would probably last about as long as other kinds of consumer electronics, 5 years give or take. Talk about "silly ignorant me." Now i'm hoping for at least a year (365 non-consecutive days) without being too optimistic about that. Jac Vapour, huh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread