Dragon Coil (iTEO's) on RM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristian

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
I think part of what's missing on your setup may be airflow. Is at least one of the coils set up directly in front of the air hole? For me the smaller diameter coil set up so that air passes directly through the center is what makes this an interesting combination. What I've found is that my fruity menthols taste really good but I agree...sweeter flavors are lost....I can barely taste my absinthe...

On that dual coil, I set it up just like Xobeloot did with the air hole lined up with the open ends of the coils so air travels through the center of the coils and not over them. That could be part of the problem as well.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
This comment caught my attention. I've built a few of these sub mm coils and messed around with it a bit. I've made a few that were definitely lacking in flavor. I've got a go-to now that didn't take that much tweaking to get to. I decided to try to recreate yours the best I could with what I had on hand. All I can say is that that coil sucks. I did not like it at all. I took some pics. I did this last night, but my camera battery died before I finished and it was late. I ended going to bed before getting around to uploading and posting.

I wrapped 28gauge Kanthal (no nichrome on hand) for 14 turns around 1mm drill bits. Looking at the pictures now, I think your coils might be tighter than that.
jqz1.jpg

3wf2.jpg

With this setup, I could not believe how the flavor disappears. There is vapor for sure, but I wouldn't want to waste my juice with this.

I have discovered that the less is more approach that works for wicking micro coils works for these smaller coils as well. I usually use very little cotton, just enough to touch the bottom of the coil and the legs, leaving most of the coil exposed. I've found that it improves the flavor of the juice without loosing the vapor production. In fact, there might be a slight improvement in vapor (Not positive, it could just be the improvement in flavor tricking me into thinking it is chucking more vapor). So I tried it the way I would have wicked it...

8ojq.jpg

pe9c.jpg

...and the verdict is that it still sucks. The flavor improved a little, but not enough to ever try this set up again.

I pulled that garbage off and rebuilt the coil I normally use. Please try this one or something similar and let me know what you think. This is 6 wraps of 28 gauge Kantal on a 1mm precision screwdriver.

zv0j.jpg

This is how much cotton I use under the coil.
2ue5.jpg

xwa5.jpg

My camera died before I could get any pictures of the wicked coil, so I'll just describe the procedure. I place the cotton across the back side of the posts, opposite the coil side. I push the cotton from the center with a precision screwdriver through the middle of the posts and underneath the coil, making sure it contacts the whole underside of the coil. The rest of the wick gets tucked under the legs. The cotton should be just enough to tuck under everything without a bunch hanging out in the cup. I'm shooting for just covering the underside of the wire without any bunching up on the deck. That is what I run when I run a PID set up. Please give it a go and let me know if that improves the flavor and performance of this set up for you.

So no wick inside the coil? I might have to try that!

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
On that dual coil, I set it up just like Xobeloot did with the air hole lined up with the open ends of the coils so air travels through the center of the coils and not over them. That could be part of the problem as well.

Belay that last...I must have had vapor's tongue or it had to break in. I'm getting great flavor from my absinthe now. I do notice it seems to depend on how much juice is soaking the cotton. Nice and wet I get a lot of flavor but it tapers off as the wick dries out.

NumberOneBatfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
Silverton, OR
I'll play.

Dual 14 wrap 28n on little push pins. ID? Dunno.

dugury5u.jpg

mygu4amu.jpg

yzy5u4aj.jpg

hyjaty8e.jpg

Made me giggle like a little kid. I get the whole "dragon" reference now.

I set my air hole to line up where the coil is breathing vapor.

Throat hit and nic punch are insane. Sweet flavors are completely mudded over with base notes.

I can see why this is such a popular build. Clouds are dense. Very dense. I may play a bit more with this in a couple weeks after the wedding, but unless i find a way to wake up more balanced flavor, it'll be just another chunked idea.

Maybe a dragonslayer can teach this old monkey a new trick or two?

Sent from the zoo using Tapatypo 2

So this build interests me, couple questions though. It appears the vapor is all coming out one end, which in the picture appears to be toward the air hole, is that the positive or negative end of the coils? My thinking is that if it automatically blows one direction through the coil, to build it to blow away from the air hole, drawing the air in on its own. Just my thinking, am i on to something or an idiot?

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Here's my go-to for Mundy. .4-.5Ω, 3/4 wrap, #53 drill bit

Roger that. I'm running a 3/4 at .7 on a 1/16 drill bit. I like it but it's noisy (so my cube mates tell me). I'm going to try lowering the ohms to your level to see what happens.

Hey, CM, if you ever feel the need to find your ayss going flat like a pancake and slithering down yer pant leg and onto the floor . . . . . .

you could try the 4 wire version. This one's .3Ω Just barely manageable w/ 1.7mm air hole

...mommy...

So this build interests me, couple questions though. It appears the vapor is all coming out one end, which in the picture appears to be toward the air hole, is that the positive or negative end of the coils? My thinking is that if it automatically blows one direction through the coil, to build it to blow away from the air hole, drawing the air in on its own. Just my thinking, am i on to something or an idiot?

I thought the same thing...but there's no way (that I can see) to know which end is going to...uh...not suck. As long as it's lined up with your air hole I don't think it matters. But I'd be very interested to know if you figure it out.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I can never remember which post is + or - on the rm2, crap, I just built a good coil too. I'm thinking like a rail gun. Better get building before the wife and kid get home. I need to stay off the forums.

the RM2 is adapted from a dual coil style atty. One of the two negative posts has been removed to create the squonk hole. Knowing that, it's easy to remember that negative is next to the hole.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The easiest way to test that, initially, would be to ask a bunch of people to note the direction of steam in relation to their posts and report back.

ETA: the reason I say that is because a bunch of people's input randomizes things that one person might be inadvertently repeating when they do multiple builds. Some other factor that might influence the mysterious outcome.

Last edited:

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I thought the same thing and tried reversing the polarity of the coil. Itade no difference. Always seemed to ...um..."Suck" from the end away from the air hole. What gives?

Sent from my XT901 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I have a theory. Read on.

That's odd. Same wraps on same ID; I get .45 and you get .7Ω?

Loose connection. All fixed. Shooting .5 now. Need to make more to compare but flavor is noticeably improved.

really just wanted to pull that out of context, and lay it on the floor.

Which is exactly what I was trying to avoid. Thank you.

So then could one say, from these pictures, that the vapor moves from + to -?

No. As a student and practitioner of hole flow this would require e-liquid to be ferrous. It's a particle not a wave (at least above the subatomic level) . Read on.

The easiest way to test that, initially, would be to ask a bunch of people to note the direction of steam in relation to their posts and report back.

ETA: the reason I say that is because a bunch of people's input randomizes things that one person might be inadvertently repeating when they do multiple builds. Some other factor that might influence the mysterious outcome.

As a student of gas flow (I'm a student of a lot of things) my hypothesis is that what we're seeing is rapidly expanding gas moving in the direction of the lowest pressure (much as electricity follows the path of least resistance so perhaps that analogy isn't wasted).

Either one end of these (particularly long) coils is a smidgeon larger than the other end (thus creating an area of low pressure) or, more likely, one end is heating quicker (or is simply hotter) than the other end. By warming the vapor a little faster (or to a higher temperature) it expands faster creating an area of lower pressure in relation to the other end.

Just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread