Dragon Slayers – Powering the public health war on vaping – RegWatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So I've seen Dr. F, Carl Phillips and now Mr. Sweanor being interviewed. Mr. Sweanor's explanation of the opposition to vaping is more politic than mine. I think the anti tobacco people have become dependent on the existance of tobacco. They want their crusade to last forever and they are being encouraged by the people who depend on the tax money.

And thanks to Painter for noticing this peice and posting it.

Reactions: EBates

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Mr. Sweanor's explanation of the opposition to vaping is more politic than mine.

For me he's been hot and cold re:ecigs. He's still viral anti-tobacco and when you have that, you still have the 'we know what's best for you' view as well as an anti-smoker's rights view. Buys into the 'smoking related deaths' and the SHS hoaxes. He uses ecigs to pump up his anti-smoking. Not the only one though, but his speech at the vaping summit a year ago had a lot of that going on.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
For me he's been hot and cold re:ecigs. He's still viral anti-tobacco and when you have that, you still have the 'we know what's best for you' view as well as an anti-smoker's rights view. Buys into the 'smoking related deaths' and the SHS hoaxes. He uses ecigs to pump up his anti-smoking. Not the only one though, but his speech at the vaping summit a year ago had a lot of that going on.
Back in the day I would say the Vietnam conflict was morally well motivated but a mistake never the less. May be the same argument could be made about the war on tobacco. May be something altogether better could have been accomplished with an entirely different approach. When I was smoking it would have been fine with me if I woke up one morning and there was no place to buy cigarettes. I could say the same today if it applied exactly the same to ecigs and cigarettes. I vape so I don't smoke. If both vanashed I wouldn't need to vaping to avoid smoking. I don't expect you to be happy with that answer either but it's the only way I know how to explain myself to Mr. Big Government drug dealer who is pretending to care about my health.

Reactions: EBates

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If both vanashed I wouldn't need to vaping to avoid smoking. I don't expect you to be happy with that answer

You didn't quote me so I'm not sure who the 'you' is, but it followed my post, so I assume me :- ) That said.... I have no problem with what you said - you just voiced an opinion on a few hypotheticals on 'what you would do'. Has nothing to do with what I would do. So I'm not 'unhappy' about it. :)

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I always wonder when you have stanch tobacco control cronies singing the praises of vaping. We can see with Siegel while preaching harm reduction he also wants strong regulations. While it is comforting seeing some of them in our corner at this point. There will come a point were they will show their true colors.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
There will come a point were they will show their true colors.

Some will. Some won't. Those who truly see ecigs as THR will tread lightly on regulations. Those not so THR, or only use THR to further their TC, will be the ones pushing for "reasonable" (ie. not reasoned) regulations on flavors, sub-ohming perhaps, and other things that seem to perturb the "uber-caring" types (to compensate, imo, for their lack of caring and need for control - or just to 'look good' for "caring" in the eyes of others), rather than do real science based harm. And they'll use junk science to do it.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@sofarsogood ,@Kent C ,@Painter_ , I get the impression that a lot of the players
when extolling the virtues of vaping even begrudgingly as a harm reduction tool
are doing so with their own interests in mind. Perhaps a new agency under the FDA
umbrella to administer some form of e-cigarette as a THR tool to be regulated
as a medical device with them in control and taking all the credit. At the very
least there seems to be a lot of positioning going on in anticipation of the post
deeming playing field. What their real motives are I don't know and can only
speculate. Not being a stakeholder leaves me in the dark.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I would agree that it's hard to say where the motivation may lie even for those who represent themselves as intellectually impartial. Even as they continue to work within the confines of what is evidently a broken system. The interview is compelling though and David Sweanor is persuasive in his arguments. He would be the exception that breaks the rule of corrupted (public health) advocates for regulation tied to BT we've seen so many of.

Good luck all. :)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The anti
I would agree that it's hard to say where the motivation may lie even for those who represent themselves as intellectually impartial. Even as they continue to work within the confines of what is evidently a broken system. The interview is compelling though and David Sweanor is persuasive in his arguments. He would be the exception that breaks the rule of corrupted (public health) advocates for regulation tied to BT we've seen so many of.

Good luck all. :)
The anti crowd can agree about their opposition but have different influences. I believe Mr. Sweanor said he is tenured, meaning he can't be fired so he can say what he thinks. Bill Godshell's organization takes no government or corporate money. Dr F's funding does not depend on NIH, he's not part of the US scientific industry. Here and there we find some elected politicians who aren't afraid to defy the dog pack, like Duncan Hunter or State Attorney General Miller.

Restricting access to ecigs without treating cigarettes the same is politically risky. So far there are public space bans, and increasing the age to purchase both ecigs and tobacco. Restricting tobacco much further will hurt sales. All these actions are to protect tobacco sales. Putting vape shops out of business raises the question about when do we do the same to places that sell tobacco. Why not put them all out of business? The answer to that would be we'd be puttig some state governments out of business too.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
The anti
The anti crowd can agree about their opposition but have different influences. I believe Mr. Sweanor said he is tenured, meaning he can't be fired so he can say what he thinks. Bill Godshell's organization takes no government or corporate money. Dr F's funding does not depend on NIH, he's not part of the US scientific industry. Here and there we find some elected politicians who aren't afraid to defy the dog pack, like Duncan Hunter or State Attorney General Miller.

Restricting access to ecigs without treating cigarettes the same is politically risky. So far there are public space bans, and increasing the age to purchase both ecigs and tobacco. Restricting tobacco much further will hurt sales. All these actions are to protect tobacco sales. Putting vape shops out of business raises the question about when do we do the same to places that sell tobacco. Why not put them all out of business? The answer to that would be we'd be puttig some state governments out of business too.

Well Said!!:toast:

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The anti

My dear sfsg, hope I didn't mislead to seem discrediting of the OP's submission or the subject. I'm a libertarian at heart. :D But I'm not anti-anything but willing ignorance.

Merely generally agreeing with K and skoon that mebe we need to keep an eye on these yokels. They can step out of the shadows and we like that if they mean it. We can see 'em better too if they're snakes slithering out of the grass.

Good luck all.

:)

Reactions: skoony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread