Drilling out tobeco magma

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
So my magma clone came today, after reading all the threads about it I was expecting more air flow, but I find it very restricting. Has anyone tried to drill the vertical air channels?
Has anyone drilled the holes that lead to the vertical channel?? I'm very hesitant to drill vertically, the hole is right next to the edge of the well, would be very easy to crack through to the well.
Main reason I want to open it up is to cool down the vapor, so any ideas on that would be good also.

Last edited:

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
the Magma is a flavor atty... not an airflow atty. if you need airflow get a tobh and drill that puppy out all over the place... if you dont like drilling get a Stillaire :)
I understand that, I have a drilled trident and igo l for big air flow, I just need to cool the vape down, not necessarily increase airflow. Any suggestions other than air flow would be welcome. It might just be trial and error, I have only tried a few coils, but all of them made vape so hot it hurt my teeth.

Also, I just looked in the air flow inlets, the machining is terrible, its partially blocked on one side by metal shavings, and not drilled out all the way to the vertical channel on the other, it tapers to a pretty small hole on that side. I guess that's what I get for buying a 18 dollar clone. I'm about to clean them out, not drill them any bigger though.

Ya I looked at the side flow drip tips earlier, that would help cool it down too but I'd be worried about losing flavor. Unless your talking about something else.

I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to make clouds. I know this is a flavor RDA, that is why I bought it. But as it is its unusable, way too hot. Hopefully cleaning out the inlets will do it.

Last edited:

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
uploadfromtaptalk1407984640980.jpg
its like that on both sides. About a third of the inlet is blocked. Hard to get a picture of, but hopefully you can see what I mean. That silver crescent in the air hole is blocking a lot of the inlet. Don't want to drill it, too risky.

I tried a 1.4 single originally, added another one to try dual .7, im not a fan of anything below that, i feel like you lose alot of flavor if you go any lower.
I think those blockages are going to need to come out somehow.

Last edited:

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
So I was able to punch out one of the blocks using a file and now that side has probably 20-30% more air flow than the other side. That was definitely the problem, the other sides block is thicker but I'll hand file it while watching TV.

That is definitely the problem, I would NOT recommend buying the tobeco magma clone. Upon further inspection, posts do not line up with the air holes, the post holes are pointed about 30 degrees away from the air holes, the holes on the AFC ring do not line up with inlets, all around a terrible clone.

Last edited:

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
Holes in ring not lining up. Flip the Ring.

Find a correct size drill bit and run it in/out a few times to clean the channels. No need to over size.
Had a Kayfun with a similar problem. Air channel dropped size about 1/2 way in. Corrected it and WOW what a difference.
I did as much as I could with the drill, I'm hesisitant to do more, there is only about 1 mm of metal at the end of that inlet, it would be very easy to punch through to the well. On one of the sides it would take significant pressure to clear the metal out, its pretty solid all the way to the elbow. One side cleared out fairly easily. I'll work on it more after work.
I thought I had bought the infinite, checked my order the next day and it was the tobeco. Someone said they intentionally offset the posts for the magma, on mine one of the posts basically lines up with the airhole, does anyone know why they would do that? I guess it wouldn't really matter if the post holes were right, but since the post holes are angled to face the air hole on one side, they are angled away on the other. Unless that is intentional also, but I can't see any benefits from that.

Tried flipping the ring, holes still sit underneath the inlets. I just put a spare igo L oring under it and now they line up, but its kinda hard to thread the cap on, there's not much threading showing now. I ended up taking it off, since i had it on the biggest holes anyways. Thank you to whoever suggested the o ring thing on the other thread

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
No one ever taught you about Drilling
You do NOT use Excessive Pressure when Drilling
You use a Sharp Bit, lite oil, Slow Speed and Low pressure.

Work gradually moving in/out you will feel the bump when you reach the end of the Air Channel.

Not sure why your Ring is that way. The holes should be drilled off center line. Flipping should raise/lower the holes.:blink:

abrb701

Jul 30, 2014
Washington
No one ever taught you about Drilling
You do NOT use Excessive Pressure when Drilling
You use a Sharp Bit, lite oil, Slow Speed and Low pressure.

Work gradually moving in/out you will feel the bump when you reach the end of the Air Channel.

Not sure why your Ring is that way. The holes should be drilled off center line. Flipping should raise/lower the holes.:blink:
Actually I worked construction for a while, but I don't have access right now to what I need to properly drill this, I have a total of 2 bits that are meant for pre drilling screw holes in wood, so not putting pressure on them would take WAY too long, if it would even be possible. Also if i used a super sharp bit meant for metal drilling it would still be very easy to break through, that wall is just too thin at the elbow. I have a drill press and metal bits in storage, I think I'm going to go out there this weekend, then I don't have to worry about breaking through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread