Dropped my Svd in the bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonescreek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
WESTERN N.C.
Welp as the title says... I dropped my I taste Svd in the tub...pulled it out real quick and took it apart...been laying by the wood stove for a couple days now...looks ok...I'm sure I am not the first time this has happened to someone...should I let it dry a day or two more before I try to fire it...any experience on this here.?

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Retired pointed me to this thread, thinking you might be a relative of mine. Lol. I have dropped many things in various vessles of water. I dropped either my Provari or Vamo in the sink (can't remember which I was using). I took the battery out and dried the ecig tube out in my food dehydrator at the lowest setting and with the cover propped open overnight. It was fine. (ETA: I should read all the posts. I guess it was the Vamo).

I also dropped my ipad in the bathtub (Netflix in the tub is just so decadent). That took longer to dry as it was all sealed up and I didn't want to heat it. For that, I put it over the heater vent for a few hours, and then in a closed tub of cat litter for a few days. It eventually dried out.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
Retired pointed me to this thread, thinking you might be a relative of mine. Lol. I have dropped many things in various vessles of water. I dropped either my Provari or Vamo in the sink (can't remember which I was using). I took the battery out and dried the ecig tube out in my food dehydrator at the lowest setting and with the cover propped open overnight. It was fine. (ETA: I should read all the posts. I guess it was the Vamo).

I also dropped my ipad in the bathtub (Netflix in the tub is just so decadent). That took longer to dry as it was all sealed up and I didn't want to heat it. For that, I put it over the heater vent for a few hours, and then in a closed tub of cat litter for a few days. It eventually dried out.

Okay, prevention can help with the ipad. I take my iphones in the tub all the time. Put it in a ziplock back first. An ipad should fit into the large bags. You can even use the touchpad through the bag, and even hear it if you are doing something with sound.

As far as a mod. Yeah, the only prevention for that is use a straight mechanical. At worst, you destroy the battery, but most batteries would probably be okay if it was really quick.

But since it is beyond prevention at this point...yes, try the dry rice in a ziplock method. Or the silica beads method. Never thought of a food dehydrator, but I would imagine that would work pretty well.

But all of these things still in the end may fail. But good luck!

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Another possible remedy is the alcohol bath... After removing the battery submerge your device in pure alcohol (95%+ type) if feasible, or just flood it with alcohol - especially its electronics

Alcohol does absorb some water, then evaporates; it can reach places other stuff can't, dislodging water.

IMPORTANT: Wait for some hours afterwards before attempting to fire the mod!

PS: alcohol tend to desiccate rubber, like o-rings, but given the circumstances...

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Okay, prevention can help with the ipad. I take my iphones in the tub all the time. Put it in a ziplock back first. An ipad should fit into the large bags. You can even use the touchpad through the bag, and even hear it if you are doing something with sound.

As far as a mod. Yeah, the only prevention for that is use a straight mechanical. At worst, you destroy the battery, but most batteries would probably be okay if it was really quick.

But since it is beyond prevention at this point...yes, try the dry rice in a ziplock method. Or the silica beads method. Never thought of a food dehydrator, but I would imagine that would work pretty well.

But all of these things still in the end may fail. But good luck!

Both dried out and worked fine. I tried a ziplock for the ipad, but I couldn't hear well through it, and can't use the headphones through the bag. Now I just take my nook in the tub and read. If I drop it in, it's pretty cheap to replace. ;)

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
Last Thanksgiving I had my provari for a month. I had my table set and everything ready then I was sitting there vaping and the phone rang ,somehow I upended the mod into my coffee cup as I got up. Needless to say I freaked out. Several people on here told me to completely rinse the inside with isopropyl alcohol and let dry completely which I did. Provape told me the same thing and it is still working today just fine.

bigrf85

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
jax, fl
not trying to jump at anyone but i think it was myth-busters or something like that did the rice thing and tested that that really doesn't do anything cause the concept of cooking rice is that it is super heated and absorbs the water to cook with no super heating the rice just sits there and soaks nothing up.

again if this has worked for anyone then congrats and keep on

i cant find it at the moment but there is a jar with moisture soaking beads that you can drop a device in for a day or two that does this too kinda like the damp-rid jars for basements and closets.

dwarfcat

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Grand Rapids MI
Im sorry but the title alone made me burst out laughing at my desk. Agreed with all the above tips and tricks. Dont try to use it until its had ample time to dry. My iphone took a bath in a cup of chew spit a few years back and I decided to turn it on. The only thing that came on was the flash, it stayed one for like 2 days and then finally slipped away to a forever sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread