Dry burn aspire bdcc coils for cleaning process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi,
I'm hearing a lot about dry burning, but it seems to be mostly for DIYs and other hobbyists. Just wondering about my cleaning process for my stock aspire coils (1.8s and 2.2s). I use them for a few days and then the taste goes south. I've tried the vodka bath and air dry. The fabric looks light coloured again, but wondering if I should dry burn to get any gunk off the coils themselves.
I put it (without the tank) on one of my 650 egos and just flashed for a couple secs, got a puff of smoke and now when I flash I see a red coil and slight smell. I don't want to fry the coil or burn the material inside it, so just wonder if this is a stupid thing to do with stock coils or - if it's a good idea - what limits i should keep in mind.

thanks much!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi,
I'm hearing a lot about dry burning, but it seems to be mostly for DIYs and other hobbyists. Just wondering about my cleaning process for my stock aspire coils (1.8s and 2.2s). I use them for a few days and then the taste goes south. I've tried the vodka bath and air dry. The fabric looks light coloured again, but wondering if I should dry burn to get any gunk off the coils themselves.
I put it (without the tank) on one of my 650 egos and just flashed for a couple secs, got a puff of smoke and now when I flash I see a red coil and slight smell. I don't want to fry the coil or burn the material inside it, so just wonder if this is a stupid thing to do with stock coils or - if it's a good idea - what limits i should keep in mind.

thanks much!

yeah; I hadn't thought of that but dry burning a 'dual' coil might be tricky I suppose.

I have the regular common single coil protank types.

Press button until coil starts to glow red; once coil glows, release; keep doing that until all stuff is burnt off - ie no more smoke or smell.

With dual coil, I guess one coil might get hot before the other so there's the risk you might fry 1 of the coils.

My first dryburn attempt, I did burnt out a coil while holding the button down too long.

bogmonster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
yeah; I hadn't thought of that but dry burning a 'dual' coil might be tricky I suppose.

I have the regular common single coil protank types.

Press button until coil starts to glow red; once coil glows, release; keep doing that until all stuff is burnt off - ie no more smoke or smell.

With dual coil, I guess one coil might get hot before the other so there's the risk you might fry 1 of the coils.

My first dryburn attempt, I did burnt out a coil while holding the button down too long.

Thanks, edyle.
I'd not even thought about that second coil I can't see. I'll keep the flashes short & sweet, though it takes about 3 or 4 in a row before I see the coil start to glow. I don't want the casing to get too warm either as i may damage the inside gasket (or not?) and lose my seal.

Any other bits of wisdom very welcome.

cheers!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks, edyle.
I'd not even thought about that second coil I can't see. I'll keep the flashes short & sweet, though it takes about 3 or 4 in a row before I see the coil start to glow. I don't want the casing to get too warm either as i may damage the inside gasket (or not?) and lose my seal.

Any other bits of wisdom very welcome.

cheers!

Yes, it doesn't start glowing till it gets dry; actually that's probably another thing; probably best to start with a wet coil;

anyway if I used a coil for a week and it got gunked up, when I start dry burning it, it would be smoking for quite a while first before it finally burnt out the gunk; the strong smell I would get also told me that what I thought was maybe something wrong with my DIY eliq or my coil too hot, was really my coil was gunked up and the bad taste was the burning gunk.

I'm now aiming towards
- pop in a 'fresh' coil per day,
- put used coil in cup to soak
- dry burn batch of soaked coils once a week

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I have wondered about the wisdom of dry burning a coil that has wicking material in it, as the Aspires do.

It seems to me that it would burn the wick, which would ruin the coil.

In another thread I saw this Rebuilding the Aspire BDC

I haven't watched it yet, but maybe the answer is in there.

The silica wick gets a little whiter when I dry burn the coil. It doesn't burn.

Last coil I ruined was because my cotton flavor wick must have stuck to the silica wick running through the coil and when I tried to take off the cotton wicks, I unintentionally pulled out the silica wick from the coil and caused it to distort.

gchirki

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
Marietta, Ga, USA
Side note: you want to be really careful with dry burning aspire heads. Like the kanger heads they have a rubber insulator on the tip and it the legs of the coil get too hot you could fry that rubber, ruining the taste and possibly shorting your device. I found this out the hard way when rebuilding kanger heads with crazy coils.

desertrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
Phoenix
I wanted to bump this as it appears the jury is still out on whether or not to dry burn Aspire dual coils. Im interested because Ive got 2 Nautilus tanks, and am a bit frustrated with the coils. Im getting about 4-5 days out of them, then I remove, soak in vodka for about an hour, then rinse well under hot water. Once dry overnight, load it up, and it seems to be fine for about 10 puffs, then I get zero flavor and vapor, and finally just stops working. Ive tried this on about 6 coils, all with the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread