Dry, dry, dry (and hi!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, fellow happy quitters. I finally joined up, but have been lurking on this great forum for quite some time. I have tried so many different juices (and different pg/vg percentages), batteries, and clearos/cartos/tanks. Even with the much-hailed vivi novas/ dct tanks/ ego twists/ 50%/50% juices from the most recommended vendors, and drinking water like there is no tomorrow, it seems like my throat is just non-stop Death Valley. I'm not even sure if it's constant "dry hits" (that's how it seems), or if the pg and vg just dries me out to the point of considering giving up. I can't go back to smoking, of course for the sake of my health, but also because my family would disown me if I had spent the mind-boggling amount of money switching "from a bad habit to a bizarre obsession" (it's a member's sign-off phrase that I liked -- wish I remembered his name to credit him) all for nothing. Dripping is just not an option with my hectic lifestyle and the terrible, leaky mess that was my early days of starting out with ego attys. Any help at all would be SO appreciated. On a brighter note, even if no one responds to this, I want to thank everyone on this forum, especially the veterans, for taking so much time to offer so much warmth and help to those of us starting out. I smoked since I was 13 and, without stumbling onto this forum, would surely have smoked my way into my grave. THANK YOU!:) (my first emoticon ever, anywhere, fun!)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Not sure how long you have been vaping, but that dryness is pretty normal for the first couple of months. I found more vg like 40-50% seemed to help me. Sports drinks and flavored seltzer help...anything to keep downing liquids. My house has lots of half full glasses of water sitting around...but I am prepared if those crop-circle aliens ever show up. Not wearing tin foil hats yet.

Rein.Thorsson

Dec 6, 2012
Seattle, WA
Hi and Welcome! Biotene, a rinse for dry mouth, can also be helpful. It's sold at the grocery store.

They also sell little mint-things that have Xylitol, the same ingredient in Biotene that helps with dry mouth. Those help me a lot, the brand name I know of is Spry. I also drink a lot of tea with honey and soy creamer (usually Chai), and about 2 Liters of water a day. I also find that making sure you have good oral hygiene usually helps, if I skip brushing my teeth it makes it worse. I use the Johnson Creek Red Oak 100% VG juice in a JC Vea.

Hope this helps!

Oh, thank you all so much. I shouldn't have lurked around for so long; you all are so friendly here! I've never been on any sort of forum before, and didn't think anyone would actually answer. I've already bought just about every xylitol-based anything. I keep the Biotene company in business - toothpaste, mouthwash, gum. I've been vaping (without cheating) for five months (false start and a fall off the wagon before that, but not having even discovered this forum). 159 days without a cigarette. I've never tried Johnson Creek, and I will. Thank you, Rein. I did try forum-favorite Boba's Bounty. Pretty tasty. OH SO DRY. If I actually told you how much water and Propel I drink everyday, I'm afraid you'd think I'm sitting here in one of those tin foil hats. Any other suggestions of juices that somehow seem just especially juicy would be great. Any flavor at all, 12mg. I'm off to the Johnson's Creek website right now. I think I'll have to get a secret P.O. box, or something. Does anyone else have family member fuming about multiple, little, fragrant packages on the doorstep? No need to answer that one! Thanks so much, again!!

dragonfly72

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Berwick
I can tell you what helped me. I had the same problem but with dry everything..skin..mouth..throat..ugh!
It was a reaction to the VG in the juice. I cant use 100% vg juice. As soon as I started using a mix the dryness went away in just a couple days. So far I know that I can use up to a 60/40 pg/vg mix without problem. Try gushing your juice and see if it helps. Don't give up!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I've already bought just about every xylitol-based anything. I keep the Biotene company in business - toothpaste, mouthwash, gum. I did try forum-favorite Boba's Bounty. Pretty tasty. OH SO DRY. If I actually told you how much water and Propel I drink everyday, I'm afraid you'd think I'm sitting here in one of those tin foil hats.

Vaping is drying but you are using these aids AND using bobas which is 100% vG and hydrating.

Maybe something else going on, can't hurt to see doctor. when you say dry, do you mean feeling like you don't have enough saliva? Or is it more like a feeling of being very thirsty?

Thanks, again!! It's so nice having some support with this. I've always been the only smoker in my very anti-smoking family, and they think the old cold turkey should've done the trick for me; and when the standard smoking-cessation aids couldn't even cut it, their frustration and disappointment became palpable. Dragonfly, looking over my myriad little bottles of e-juice, you're right; they're all at least 60% vg, and many are %100 vg. I WILL NOT go back to cigarettes; I've made a vow to myself, but your encouragement is so great. Racehorse, you're right, too. I do already have trouble on the saliva front because I'm on a bunch of prescription meds, the worst offender being Tramadol, a pain med. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and fibromyalgia. Because I'd read on these friendly pages that vg is more hydrating AND that people with fibromyalgia shouldn't load up on pg due to lactic acid build up, I sought our vg-heavy blends. Now, that could all be hooey for all I know (English major to the bone). So I'm really on the fence about dragonfly's advice, but it does seem like the logical thing to try. Could pg really make my body ache more? I didn't want to get too heavy, but my doc says I'm drinking way too much water, and washing the sodium right out of my system. He had me pick up these Saltstick supplements that are usually used by ultramarathoners. Never thought I'd share anything in common with them!! Any other suggestions for set-ups/juices that might help with sahara-throat are oh so welcome. Now, I've got go see if I can help out some fellow new member so I can feel worthy of this largesse. Los Angeles is a very big but very lonely city, and this community is lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread