Dry hits are driving me INSANE

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotran

Aug 31, 2014
Nashville
I've been vaping for a couple of months and this issue has been driving me insane for the last month and a half that I've been chain vaping. I'm using Kanger Protank Mini 3's on an MVP 2 set to 3.3 volts and 6.5 watts. My juice is a strawberry and menthol mix that's roughly 70/30, but I experience pretty much the same amount of dry hits from 50/50 and 30/70. I obviously had the nasty burnt taste more often with the stock Kanger single coils, but I've now been building my own at 1.5ohms. I've tried both silica and cotton (from organic cotton balls) and both result in the same amount of burnt taste. Pretty much the only way to avoid dry hits is to only take 2-3 hits every 5 minutes, which isn't frequent enough for me. I've recently been putting a finger over one of the air holes every time I take a drag and it helps, but probably only 50% of the time. Can someone please help me? A better tank? a different kind of wick? I'm going insane!

lotran

Aug 31, 2014
Nashville
coil.jpg Here are some pictures for anyone interested in seeing it. I keep the rubber grommet flipped upside down to help a bit and if I don't use flavor wicks I get major gurgling (with grommet right side up and upside down) but as you can see the wicks look saturated, so what gives? I'm looking into a kayfun, just need money!

To stop the gurgling turn the first grommet back the right way, get a 2nd grommet and turn it upside down and when you put it back together it will make a proper seal between the head/coil and stem in the tank. Common problem I have ran into with the Kanger Pro2, EVOD 2, and T3S's. That is just a quick fix I found. As far as the dry hits, I'm not sure, I run the same tank, on a MVP 2.0 at 9.5 Watt and never have that problem, and I am constantly vapeing. On the MVP you either run watts or volts. There is no adjusting them together. Which ever the last setting you messed with is the setting it is running. If you adjusted the watts last you are in watt mode.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've been vaping for a couple of months and this issue has been driving me insane for the last month and a half that I've been chain vaping. I'm using Kanger Protank Mini 3's on an MVP 2 set to 3.3 volts and 6.5 watts. My juice is a strawberry and menthol mix that's roughly 70/30, but I experience pretty much the same amount of dry hits from 50/50 and 30/70. I obviously had the nasty burnt taste more often with the stock Kanger single coils, but I've now been building my own at 1.5ohms. I've tried both silica and cotton (from organic cotton balls) and both result in the same amount of burnt taste. Pretty much the only way to avoid dry hits is to only take 2-3 hits every 5 minutes, which isn't frequent enough for me. I've recently been putting a finger over one of the air holes every time I take a drag and it helps, but probably only 50% of the time. Can someone please help me? A better tank? a different kind of wick? I'm going insane!

Replace your PT3 base with an Aerotank air flow control base--you'll be able to regulate the airflow better. Use stock coils for a while and see if the situation improves. Then you can go back to rebuilding.

KangerTech Mini Aerotank Base - Sun-Vapers.com Compatible with mini Protank 1, 2, 3, and mini Aerotank.

A few tips:

Kanger Troubleshooting 101:

If your clearo is flooding, the connections are not tight enough--or too tight. Keep reading.

If you're using clearos and getting a burnt taste it means that not enough juice is getting to the coil and you're basically vaping dry, hot air or inhaling smoke from the gunk that's burning off of your coil. Not a good thing. Another case of bad taste maybe the tank itself--some arrive covered with some kind of nasty grease; wash them with soap and water (just the tanks--soak the coils in PGA or vodka).

There are a few things you need to remember when using a T3 or an eVod or a ProTank--in addition to keeping your coils clean and free of gunk that accumulates on them.

1) Make sure that the atomizer coil is screwed into the base tightly--every time you refill; they often come not fully tightened from the manufacturer, or may have gotten loose through repeated refills.

2) Look at all the inner seals and gaskets to make sure they haven't become dislodged.

3) Make sure that you screw the tank into its base tightly. If it's not tight, it will leak.

4) When you screw your clearomizer into your battery, do not overtighten--screw it in only until it makes contact--no farther, or you may push the center post in too deep and cause all kinds of problems, including leaking. When the draw becomes tight or the taste and vapor production begin to diminish, replace the coil. This will happen sooner (even as soon as one day of heavy use) if you're using dark, viscous, or very sweet juices. The old coil can be cleaned and dry burned.

5) Make sure you're not getting any juice in the center tube when you're filling--this will cause your eVod to leak like a sieve. If some juice gets into the tube, close the top cap, place a tissue under your tank and blow gently through the clearomizer to get rid of any excess eliquid. Also, extra condensation inside the tank may, on some occasions, drip back into the center tube. Wipe your mouthpiece dry with a q-tip or a tissue when you refill (or more often when/if needed).

6) Take an occasional "primer puff" (a slow draw without activating the battery) when you vape. It helps move the juice into the coil chamber and removes any air bubbles that sometimes form in the tank and may cause gurgling or impede proper wicking.

7) New clearomizers (Aerotanks etc.) come with a clever airflow adjustment base--make sure you adjust the settings to your liking.

8) Take slow long draws rather than sharp and quick ones like we used to do while smoking cigarettes. Do not over vape, chain vape, power vape. Let the juice travel to the coil between drags.

9) Do not remove any flavor wicks if you're experiencing any leaking or flooding. Those wicks are there for a reason. If you feel that you have to remove a wick because your eliquid is particularly thick, do it carefully--one strand at a time. If your liquid is super thin, you can thicken it with a bit of VG (USP--pharma grade) or you can add another strand of cotton to your flavor wick. Don't add too much or you'll choke your atomizer and get a dry hit.

and last but not least:

10) Keep the coils and wicks clean (search ECF or YouTube for detailed coil cleaning instructions). Discard when when flavor and vapor start to diminish. Those coils are disposable.

Also, make sure you're vaping at correct wattages; Kanger recommends 5.5-7.5 watts for single coils. Dual coils require a bit more wattage than single coils. They also benefit from increased airflow.

Last but not least--you said you're using your MVP2 "set to 3.3 volts and 6.5 watts." I hope you understand that you can't do both at the same time--the MVP can only be run in a vv or vw mode--not both.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread