Dry Hits, Burnt Taste? Try a Spaced and Larger Diameter Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I had such a hard time sometimes with my kayfun, ESPECIALLY with VG juices, not even 100% VG but my standard 50/50 VG/PG. Basically, the Kayfun was VERY prone to getting dry hits and burnt taste.

After testing lots of different wicking techniques and coils...it's actually pretty simple.

Make a larger diameter coil! I went from 28ga 1.5mm diameter to 28ga 2.4mm diameter. And SPACE the coil a bit. Not much, maybe 0.1mm or 0.2mm so your coil doesn't touch.

While this might create a small drop in flavor (not sure about this, might be placebo :) I can now chain vape the same VG/PG juices -NO DRY HIT and BURNT TASTE whatsoever. Very smooth vaping experience!

The wick is the exact same as I had before, simple standard wick, down to the deck front and back.

(If a spaced coil does really result in slightly muted flavor I have to say that I prefer "slightly muted flavor" over awful burnt taste any day! Seriously before I made the new coil it just tasted awful since it only took a few puffs and I got the awful burnt taste constantly. Yes, wicking can also make a big difference, but I think it's the spaced coil which now finally makes all the difference!)

Edit: With some DIY juices I also run into black gunk VERY QUICK...sometimes after an hour or two. With a spaced coil it's said that it also reduces the chance for black gunk.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Well, I find I get better flavor from a spaced coil than a contact coil. I use NET juices and spaced coil also stay gunk free longer than contact coils. As for wicking, with cotton I find more is better.. Diameter, well I think this really affects ease of wicking more than any performance issues. But I do believe the bigger ID coil allows you to run a hotter coil, without increase in the heat of the hit.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I had such a hard time sometimes with my Kayfun, ESPECIALLY with VG juices, not even 100% VG but my standard 50/50 VG/PG. Basically, the Kayfun was VERY prone to getting dry hits and burnt taste.

After testing lots of different wicking techniques and coils...it's actually pretty simple.

Make a larger diameter coil! I went from 28ga 1.5mm diameter to 28ga 2.4mm diameter. And SPACE the coil a bit. Not much, maybe 0.1mm or 0.2mm so your coil doesn't touch.

While this might create a small drop in flavor (not sure about this, might be placebo :) I can now chain vape the same VG/PG juices -NO DRY HIT and BURNT TASTE whatsoever. Very smooth vaping experience!

The wick is the exact same as I had before, simple standard wick, down to the deck front and back.

(If a spaced coil does really result in slightly muted flavor I have to say that I prefer "slightly muted flavor" over awful burnt taste any day! Seriously before I made the new coil it just tasted awful since it only took a few puffs and I got the awful burnt taste constantly. Yes, wicking can also make a big difference, but I think it's the spaced coil which now finally makes all the difference!)

Edit: With some DIY juices I also run into black gunk VERY QUICK...sometimes after an hour or two. With a spaced coil it's said that it also reduces the chance for black gunk.
What are you using in your DIY juice that gives you a black gunk build up? The only time that happens to me is when there is sugar in a flavoring, or purchased juices with sugar or too much sweetener.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Diameter, well I think this really affects ease of wicking more than any performance issues. But I do believe the bigger ID coil allows you to run a hotter coil, without increase in the heat of the hit.

Maybe it's both things. The wider coil might benefit better/easier juice flow (because the wick isn't as tight)...and spacing out helps, well, more even distribution of heat.

I noticed problems with my Kayfun when I do 50/50 juices (as opposed to PG only), it's definitely wicking slower and has sometimes problems because the EHPRO Kayfun V2 has really tiny juice channels...and black gunk, well it depends what I mix, flavors etc. how you say already. Have to say VERY satisfied now with the slightly spaced coil, now just looking for a screw or something so I can make evenly spaced coils easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread