Dry Scratchy DIY liquid however no dry hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
So I just finished my first diy liquid today I'm using all vg minus the flavor and the thinner which I used vodka cause it was laying around, I'm using about 5% vodka. The flavors I used were cappellas chocolate, graham cracker, marshmellow, penut butter, and some hazelnut to make a modified smore and all the flavor totaled 12% of the juice. So I'm getting really scratchy dry feeling hits that make me want to cough. I'm running this through a zatty g and if anything I'm flooding the wick and coil cause its now a little too thin. So what is causing this dry and scratchiness is it the flavors I'm using or is it the vodka that I used to thin it out a bit (I think its the vodka) Anyway can someone help me identify the problem so I know what to change. I'm picking up some distilled water today to try that instead of vodka.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
So i just made another juice this time with some citrus flavors and anise and thinned it with distilled water and I'm vaping it out of an ihybrid same deal with the dry scratchiness. I'm at 6mg of nic. What could this be It definitly isnt the vodka or the flavors so could my nic be way off? I'm making 10ml batches and I'm using 1ml of 60mg nic liquid and measuring this through a serological pipette so its accurate. Also my nic and vg is from my freedom smokes so I'm wondering if its that. Or could this be because I havent steeped it and I'm rushing to try it

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I thin mine with PG :lol: I usually use 30/70 and with lighter flavors will even go up to 50/50. Much more PG than that and I get that "fullness" feeling in my throat.

I am sorry I couldn't help you much, but will bump it for you in hopes that someone else will come along and know what it is you are needing to use.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Before I could be of any help, I'd have to know what your 6mg mix tastes like to you without any flavorings.

Also, what it tastes like without any nicotine.

Separate and isolate to find out what is going on is the only method I know that consistently works.

I was thinking that I might have to do this but hoping I wouldnt have to, so I guess tonight I'll start trying to vape everything seperate and I'll let you know my findings

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
So i just made another juice this time with some citrus flavors and anise and thinned it with distilled water and I'm vaping it out of an ihybrid same deal with the dry scratchiness. I'm at 6mg of nic. What could this be It definitly isnt the vodka or the flavors so could my nic be way off? I'm making 10ml batches and I'm using 1ml of 60mg nic liquid and measuring this through a serological pipette so its accurate. Also my nic and vg is from my freedom smokes so I'm wondering if its that. Or could this be because I havent steeped it and I'm rushing to try it

I have had a similar experience and determined it to be the MFS nic base. A lot of people swear by that nic base and use it all the time but, for some reason, it makes me cough if I take a big drag and eventually gives me a really sore throat - this is at 12mg . .I haven't tried any lower. I have tried it in both PG and VG with the same result. I have scoured the interwebs for anybody posting a similar reaction to MFS nic as mine and have found nothing .. but maybe an extremely small percentage of people are sensitive to something about it.

But it also could be high nic if you haven't mixed your juice well enough. I usually make my nic base in advance so I just shake it thoroughly a bunch of times over the course of several days . .but you could try putting your juice bottle in a bath of warm water and then shaking the beejeesus out of it. Something like 5 minutes of thorough shaking, a few minutes of resting . .and repeat the process 3x should ensure everything well mixed.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
I've used WL nic with great success.

I'm also sitting on a big bottle of MFS that I don't think I can use - 500ml in my case. I'm going to mix some juice for my brother with it and see how he likes it . .could be his lucky day.

After my experience with MFS I because curious about the different nic bases so I ordered small amounts from RTS and XTreme Vaping. I already have some WL and MFS. Once my XTR order gets here I will mix them all up unflavored and compare them. BTW - The Nicotine Comparison thread has some great information and a comparison between MFS, RTS, Vaping Zone and E Cig Express Nics.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
So I let a couple of juices sit since I first started this thread and although the juice is still alittle rough for my liking its a little smother on the TH and is not as dry feeling. Could steeping possibly cure this issue? I'm wondering if the juice isnt mixed up enough or maybe letting it sit did something to the nicotine. Just wondering if anyone has noticed this with mixing and vaping right away. I'm waiting for my nicotine testing supplies (since it almost seems like the nic levals are too high and I want to be sure what level I have) and after they come I'll start mixing 30ml batches of base and nic. I'm gonna stick with the MFS nic only because I have so much and I can't bring myself not to try to use it. However I did order a small amount from xtreme and wizard labs to see if they fix my problem.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I'm gonna stick with the MFS nic only because I have so much and I can't bring myself not to try to use it. However I did order a small amount from xtreme and wizard labs to see if they fix my problem.
MFS is one of the oldest vendors out there. Have you tried contacting them and explaining the problem? Almost all the vendors mentioned have had some hiccups at one time.

You could try posting in their forum.

MyFreedomSmokes

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Well it was def not the nic liquid and it was just that the juices needed to steep a little. I did a nic test on the the nic liquid and my final products and they were all very close to what they were supposed to be. DIY is def the way to go IMO thanks for your help. Also Bosco, Did you let your juices sit at all and then try them a week or two later? I'm Interested to see if the problem you were having was consistent no matter how much steep time had passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread