dual 18650 1590G mod with front voltmeter, LED switch, MOSFET, and slide switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I hadn't seen anyone do a G box exactly like this and wasn't positive that it would all fit, but it worked out perfectly:
shWSfnE.jpg
cpcjZaU.jpg

WGwWjSV.jpg
cdNDRkP.jpg

VVdAqcX.jpg
HdR1pD6.jpg

If interested, a build video is here. I didn't fully go over every step of the component wiring in the video, but I really just wanted to prove that it was possible to fit a voltmeter like that, even in a small G box.

- Dave

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't paint it. I live in an apartment in England at the moment, so I don't really have a good place to be working with paint. ;) I found that color from a seller on eBay, but it is a Hammond factory painted color Grey... it does look more off-white than Grey in most lights, but the full model is 1590GGY.

Jesse85

Feb 18, 2015
I hadn't seen anyone do a G box exactly like this and wasn't positive that it would all fit, but it worked out perfectly:
shWSfnE.jpg
cpcjZaU.jpg

WGwWjSV.jpg
cdNDRkP.jpg

VVdAqcX.jpg
HdR1pD6.jpg

If interested, a build video is here. I didn't fully go over every step of the component wiring in the video, but I really just wanted to prove that it was possible to fit a voltmeter like that, even in a small G box.

- Dave
Nice build man! If you don't mind me asking what's it generally cost for parts for a build like this?

Is this regulated or not? Or does the volt meter just read the battery voltage?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Nice build man! If you don't mind me asking what's it generally cost for parts for a build like this?

Is this regulated or not? Or does the volt meter just read the battery voltage?

It is unregulated. I built it for myself and I prefer it that way. But it wouldn't be hard to do with a small regulated chip either.
The voltmeter is for monitoring the battery level.
I don't remember the exact prices of all the parts, but here is an estimate:
hammond box: $10
keystone battery sled: $2
LED switch: $4
multiple slide switches: $1
fat daddy low profile shorty 510: $4
voltmeter: $3
MOSFET: $3

so $27 for all the main components. If I included the wires, magnets, solder, heat shrink, etc its probably around $30.

Last edited:

Jesse85

Feb 18, 2015
It is unregulated. I built it for myself and I prefer it that way. But it wouldn't be hard to do with a small regulated chip either.
The voltmeter is for monitoring the battery level.
I don't remember the exact prices of all the parts, but here is an estimate:
hammond box: $10
keystone battery sled: $2
LED switch: $4
multiple slide switches: $1
fat daddy low profile shorty 510: $4
voltmeter: $3
MOSFET: $3

so $27 for all the main components. If I included the wires, magnets, solder, heat shrink, etc its probably around $30.
That's awesome! Thank you for all the info. I'm gonna check into it. I thought it was unregulated, which is most likely the route id go to start until I get comfortable building. Plus them variable chips ain't toocheap from what I've seen. Really wanna build a squonk box. Never enough vape $ lol but hope to save some now that I'm making my own juice

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Looks great, i love that meter.

You wouldn't happen to know where to find and voltage meters that are smaller than thatn would ya? I wanna maybe use one in my mods with a lipo but i need a smaller one.
I have used voltmeters with .36" and .28" mounting holes. The .28" are the smallest I have used. They can fit in a little bit smaller area by sanding off the part of the PCB with the mounting holes. Something smaller must also exist, but I don't know where to find it.

Reactions: Tbev
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread