Dual coil attys on Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman

Sep 6, 2010
Mississippi
Waiting with bated breath for my darwin which should be in my mailbox tommorow. I've got an assortment of attys/cartos to see the automagic watt management in action. Found a box of dual coil cartos I had forgotten about. I've read somewhere that the provari doesn't read the ohms of these things correctly and was just wondering if the darwin would adjust itself properly when using these cartos. Anyone know? Thanks.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Waiting with bated breath for my darwin which should be in my mailbox tommorow. I've got an assortment of attys/cartos to see the automagic watt management in action. Found a box of dual coil cartos I had forgotten about. I've read somewhere that the provari doesn't read the ohms of these things correctly and was just wondering if the darwin would adjust itself properly when using these cartos. Anyone know? Thanks.

It will work fine with the dual coils. I prefer the 2.5 ohm at around 11.5 watts but you can use anything really but you probably won't wanna crank the 1.5 ohm ones up that high :ohmy:

.gregory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Haven
I'm going to say the Darwin is a bust with the dc carts, 12.7W @ 1.5oms doesn't cut it (really 3ohms). The dc carts really take off at about 5v, I have gone back and forth between a vv battery box and the Darwin, hands down the Darwin looses. Not to say I don't love it, it just isn't great with the smoktech dc carts, however, it was better with the IKV dc clearomizers also pretty good with gotvapes diamonds- maybe I just contradicted myself on the rant ;) my basic point is more power would be better :)

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Hey,
Open up that DC cart that you were using in the VV Box mod and I can pretty much guaruntee that its burndt. 12.7 watts is 12.7 watts...No matter what your voltage may be reading, its still a steady 12.7 watts. The Darwin puts out up to 12.9 Volts and can deliver that voltage instantaneously, meaning that both coils will turn cherry red imediately. Where a VV box mod will heat the lower coil and slowly heat the second one up while the lower coil is burning the wicking.
Check it out and you will see what I mean. A true 5 volts at 1.5 ohms is just about unbearable for me. Another consideration is that the VV will be sending 5 volts that will calcualte to around 4.something (under load) where the Darwin will be giving the exact watts and monitoring and adjusting around 300 times a second!!!
Thanks
Drew

.gregory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Haven
No doubt the Darwin is great- It's my favorite mod. But, with dc carts, because they are generally 3ohms in parallel, doesn't that change the power to each coil, meaning it would really only provide 6.35W to each coil at 12.7W? I thought dc carts were intended for use between 5-6V?

ps, my Darwin doesn't reach 12.9W only 12.7W.

.gregory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Haven
Maybe my understanding is incorrect, but does not ohms law give is the following.
a68989cc-379a-094f.jpg

a68989cc-37ab-d167.jpg

Even though the voltage stays the same across the circuit, the current at each coil is different, because of this, the power to each coil changes by half ...i might 100% wrong on this, my understanding Kirchhoff's Current Law is not very good.

Last edited:

.gregory

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Haven
Its 12.9 Volts not watts...3 ohms in parellel is 1.5 ohms...I sorta understand what your saying....I cant do the dcs at over 4 something without getting a burned taste...I actually do the 2.0 ohms at 10 watts and Im in Nirvana here...
Drew

The Darwin is variable wattage, 12.9 does not refer to volts, it refers to watts. Taste is subjective, i just think the DCs shine above 5v, many agree, but then again taste is subjective.
a68989cc-4551-c942.jpg

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
I'm going to say the Darwin is a bust with the dc carts, 12.7W @ 1.5oms doesn't cut it (really 3ohms). The dc carts really take off at about 5v, I have gone back and forth between a vv battery box and the Darwin, hands down the Darwin looses. Not to say I don't love it, it just isn't great with the smoktech dc carts, however, it was better with the IKV dc clearomizers also pretty good with gotvapes diamonds- maybe I just contradicted myself on the rant ;) my basic point is more power would be better :)

1.5 ohm dual coils on the darwin are crap... Nuff said almost. I use the 2.5 every time I go out of the house and I run it at 11.5 watts or so. You don't even need to run it that high but when I do it's at 5.5v and gives a perfect hit. The only problem is that the 2.5 ohm are hard to find and they aren't cheap and I can only find them in singles :( The darwin auto-adjusts so you are not going to see anything above 5v even at the maximum wattage setting.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I use the clear 1.5 dual coils on my Darwin all the time and they work great! I set my Darwin to 11.5 W which seems to be the sweet spot for my juice which is 40% VG/60% PG. I have run them at 12.7 W and didn't get any burning but I don't let my dual coils run dry. As soon as vpaor production goes way down I blow them out to clean them and refill. At 12.7 W I have to refill them more frequently. If you are using the dual coil without the 510-150 extender try using that as it will increase the air flow. I have been using the same dual coils for weeks with no burning. The dual coils are the best performing and longest lasting carto I have tried.

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
I use the clear 1.5 dual coils on my Darwin all the time and they work great! I set my Darwin to 11.5 W which seems to be the sweet spot for my juice which is 40% VG/60% PG. I have run them at 12.7 W and didn't get any burning but I don't let my dual coils run dry. As soon as vpaor production goes way down I blow them out to clean them and refill. At 12.7 W I have to refill them more frequently. If you are using the dual coil without the 510-150 extender try using that as it will increase the air flow. I have been using the same dual coils for weeks with no burning. The dual coils are the best performing and longest lasting carto I have tried.

They will work fine but try the 2.5 and it will blow your mind :p

Panky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2011
Miami
Doesn't ikenvape make 2.5s, I think both the fusions and v2 are 2.5ohms- fusions are better though.

Oh, my mistake. I use the clear dual coils because I have never used the regular ones and I would probably run them dry. You might be able to find regular dual coils in 2.5 but I can't find them at IKV :ohmy: Right now I am using the ones that drew sells, the jumbo ones because I don't think that the arm will close with the bigger one.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
The Darwin is variable wattage, 12.9 does not refer to volts, it refers to watts. Taste is subjective, i just think the DCs shine above 5v, many agree, but then again taste is subjective.
a68989cc-4551-c942.jpg

In my post I said The Darwin can put out up to 12.9 Volts...!2.7 watts refers to watts and 12.9 Volts refers to volts. If you take your atomizer off and look at the screen while you are pushing the buttons you will see 12.9 Volts.

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
Doesn't ikenvape make 2.5s, I think both the fusions and v2 are 2.5ohms- fusions are better though, there like 1.95$ each.

The Fusions are Boge 801 cartos...
801 Mega Cartomizers
or they also come in KR and 510 style, but they are not Dual coil. Pretty sure they are like $9 a pack of five on my site...Save5 gives you another 5% off also.
I have so many different cartomizers on my site now, its hard to keep up with. I started selling the dual coils in singles becasue I had them packaged to include drip tips and mark the Ohm on each package, to help keep them sorted out. I sell the same (or similar) ohm ones in packs of five in Black and stainless though.
Your right though taste is SOOOO subjective. I have a prototype Darwin that goes up to like 19 watts and believe me, its is mostly unecasary, except when I need to lay out a wall of vapor!!!
I can throw a 3.0 Ohm Boge 510 (Fusion) carto on this thing and crank it up and literally shoot vapor out of it!!! It can also burn the outer paper off of one if held down long enough! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread