Dual Coil Cartos V.S. Boge Low Res Cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mOJAVEpROVIDENCE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Rural America
I posted this earlier in the wrong forum, sorry:(

Dual Coil Cartos V.S. Boge Low Res Cartos?

I see now there are dual coil cartomizers, can somebody please explain the differences they have noticed when using these two products? I like the boge low-res carto's and would like to know if i would like the dual coil carto's any better.

vapor production? lifespan? taste? throat hit? how much juice do these eat up? thanks!

littlewierdo

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX - USA
Low resistance cartos burn cooler and bring out more flavor. Vapor production is about the same, lifespan is about four days for the dual coil (but you can possibly stretch it to a week). Taste is better on low resistance vs the dual coil. Throat hit has nothing to do with the carto, the only thing that affects throat hit is nic content.

The dual coils also do not burn, its some sort of witchcraft but I have tried everything possible to try to burn my eliquid and I just cant do it. It will run REALLY hot and make vapor, but you will never get the burned flavor you might see on an LR carto.

The major benefit with the dual coils is they can hold about 2 ml of juice. For me that is maybe 2-3 fills a day. The problem with the dual coils is, because they are so tall, they are tricky to fill - it takes forever for the juice to work its way from the top down to the bottom (sometimes as long as 2-4 minutes) and once it does, you need to look for any dry spots and add more fluid over the top of the dry spot to try to get the entire carto wet. Once filled, unscrew the carto and put the screw end of the carto into your juice bottle and blow. This will recover any excess juice from the center tube back into your juice bottle.

So, quick checklist (LR = Low resistance carto, DC = Dual Coil carto):

------------------------LR-----------------------------DC
Flavor-----------------More---------------------------Less
Temp-----------------Cooler-------------------------Hotter
Vapor-----------------Same--------------------------Same
Lifespan--------------2 Days-------------------------4 Days
Burning?---------------Yes-----------------------------No
Capacity------------18 drops------------------------45 drops

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
...... Throat hit has nothing to do with the carto, the only thing that affects throat hit is nic content...............The problem with the dual coils is, because they are so tall, they are tricky to fill - it takes forever for the juice to work its way from the top down to the bottom....................

Throat hit has two components: nicotine strength and warmth of the vapor which is a product of a better battery PV (5 volt/variable volt) and to a lesser degree, lower resistence.

When filling a carto, if you use the "spin" method, you can put 10-15 drops in at a time, spin the carto and then repeat until it is full and the liquid moves to the bottom of the carto quickly.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Low resistance cartos burn cooler and bring out more flavor. Vapor production is about the same, lifespan is about four days for the dual coil (but you can possibly stretch it to a week). Taste is better on low resistance vs the dual coil. Throat hit has nothing to do with the carto, the only thing that affects throat hit is nic content.

I disagree with everything in that paragraph. I do not find my LR cartos produce better flavor than the DCs, though perhaps the boge 2.0 ohm has a very slight edge on flavor vs the 1.5 ohm DC. It's almost too close to call.

The DCs produce more vapor than any LR carto I've tried (and that's just about all of them currently available with a 510 thread) including the boge's.

There are many juices that produce great TH even at zero nic (AVE bobas bounty and BWB applewood come to mind) - Plus the temperature and density of the vapor makes a big difference.

How long they last is very juice dependent. I have a couple of juices on my favorites list that can plug any polyfill carto in under two days. I have a couple of thin clear juices on my favorites list that cartos of several styles including the DCs have held up with for over two weeks. And cartos can be cleaned if you want to get more life out of them.

The rest I can agree with. It's really hard to burn the DCs (nearly impossible at 3.7v unless you run them really dry). And the capacity of XL cartos is nice. Though, the added capacity doesn't necessarily mean greater longevity per fill since the DCs consume juice at a faster rate than a single coil.

Another benefit to add to the list for the 1.5 ohm DCs goes hand in hand with the fact they don't burn easy. It is that they operate very well on a wide range of voltage. They perform quite acceptably well at 3.7v all the way to around 6.0v (some juices will scorch at 6.0v, but I have yet to scorch any juice I've tried up to 5.6v).

And, one more mentionable is that the DCs now come 1.25 ohm, 1.5 ohm, 2.0 ohm, and 2.5 ohm so it's easier to find a good match to your chosen voltage or to be able to operate them on amp limited devices.

Something on the positive side for the boge is that the DCs do still seem to have some quality control issues. I've averaged about 1 bad one per box. I've had exactly one bad carto in my last thirty-five boge.

I use the boge 2.0 ohm every day. I also use the 1.5 ohm DC every day, and the 1.25 ohm DC quite often. I would be unhappy to give any of them up.

Not that long ago, I thought I was going to quit buying the boge cartos completely because I like the DCs so much. But then I started using them on my bottom feeder and it turned out to be such a good match that I ordered a bunch more when I made an atty order from avid the other day. I don't plan to let my stock of those run out any time soon.

The 1.5 ohm DCs I use at 5.0v and it is the closest thing I've found to the analog experience as far as temperature, density, and necessary length of time to take a drag. My 5.0v set up requires that I carry extra batts, and that doesn't always suit me. But, until something better comes along, this is my favorite way to vape.

The 1.25 ohm DCs I use at 3.7v on days I don't want to carry extra batteries and can't really carry my bottom feeder. They perform very well, -- not like the 1.5 at 5.0v... but well enough that I can take the trade-off for only having to carry one mod and no battery box on days I need to travel light and use a durable mod.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places

If I make some corrections to this? Low resistance burns HOTTER. Vapor production is better on the duals. 2 coils versus 1. The warmth of your vapor plays a part in throat hit as well as nic content and PG ratio.

The dual coils also do not burn, its some sort of witchcraft but I have tried everything possible to try to burn my eliquid and I just cant do it. It will run REALLY hot and make vapor, but you will never get the burned flavor you might see on an LR carto.

If you take one apart, there are 2 fabric type pieces wrapped around each coil which will turn brown over time. If this fabric is completely dry, it will burn like paper. I have yet to figure out what it is.

The major benefit with the dual coils is they can hold about 2 ml of juice. For me that is maybe 2-3 fills a day. The problem with the dual coils is, because they are so tall, they are tricky to fill - it takes forever for the juice to work its way from the top down to the bottom (sometimes as long as 2-4 minutes) and once it does, you need to look for any dry spots and add more fluid over the top of the dry spot to try to get the entire carto wet. Once filled, unscrew the carto and put the screw end of the carto into your juice bottle and blow. This will recover any excess juice from the center tube back into your juice bottle.

IMO, they are the same as filling a Boge. Just keep adding drops until full. Just takes longer to fill because it's bigger.

I use both so here's my opinion.

Boge LR's are great overall. However, the vapor production, warmth, TH, flavor is a little better on the dual coils. Both eat your juice no matter what but the duals go a little faster than the Boge IMO. One nice thing about the duals, they have come out with a 3.5ml version. The work the same as the other dual's but hold more liquid.

As far as longevity on both, I've used the same LR Boge (with cleaning it several times) for almost 2 months. I keep using one until it dies completely. With a dual, I rotate between 2 of the regular sized ones since they first come out about 6ish weeks ago (whenever cloudsofvapor first put them on their site). Both are still running strong without any cleaning done to them. I generally vape 6-7ml a day rotating between 5 cartomizers daily, each with a different flavor. I get bored too easily.

Catdaddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2009
Alabama
I'm reading about all these advantages to the dual cartomizer, too bad mine can't even hold enough juice without it dripping out the bottom to find out. Guess its just another disappointing cart design. I have never had another cart leak like this clear dual coil thing, it is impossible to fill it even half way before I'm taking a bath in the juice.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I have never had another cart leak like this clear dual coil thing, it is impossible to fill it even half way before I'm taking a bath in the juice.

Even though you got this same advice in another thread, I'll repeat it:

Fill them slow dripping around the sides without pouring any juice down the center hole. Do not overfill. They hold about 1.7 to 1.8 ml of juice. Give them 15 or 20 drops and let it soak in. Give them another 15 or 20 drops and let it soak in. Finish filling and let it sit for a little while to soak in.

Or, condom fill from the bottom and finish filling with drips around the edges at the top. With that method, you still need to let them sit for a little bit to let the juice soak in to the filler. Also with that method same as the other method, do not overfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread