Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
D552EF17-4CD6-4C4F-86BF-83A4A89E3178.jpeg
17258D92-8FFE-4F7D-9066-BEE743DAFD04.jpeg
733BFAD6-A657-46DD-9A33-9392FBA88A63.jpeg
so I built my 1st dual coil today in a Hunter royal x. I had been using it with a single coil and flavor and vape was wonderful. I used 2 ss premade Clapton coils measuring to .25 ohms total. However couple of things I’ve noticed and I’m not sure if it’s due to it being a dual coil etc

One is the ramp up time is veeerrry slow lol! Not the quick hit I’m used to with a single coil. I know it’ll take longer and more energy but this much to be noticeable? I’ve used it with tc and wattage with same results.

Second is there very very little flavor especially considering how flavorful it was a single coil. The coils are up high at the level of the air slots as instructed on several videos. So there’s plenty of airflow getting under the coils. The clouds however are huge!

Soooo can I due anything to improve the flavor? I suppose there’s not much to do abt ramp up time?

Thanks in advance as always xoxo

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, more metal in your build will slow ramp up speed, so yes, that's unavoidable (unless you want to build to a lower resistance and use a different gauge of wire and etc. There are probably things you can experiment with.

Past a certain point, I think dual coils do lend themselves to cloud chasing, not so much flavor chasing. It takes a lot of experimentation (I think) in order to settle on a dual coil build that works for you in terms of flavor and not too much metal while not making the resistance so low that you'll wind up using more wattage, and possibly less flavor.

Some flavors do better with higher wattage, but I guess you are experiencing the difference between single and dual coils, and if you prefer the single coil, well, you have experience with that.

I built a dual coil RTA one time. I was not impressed (mostly, due to double the work, annoyances with keeping my resistance high enough and etc., which was tricky to deal with. I tend to be much happier with single round wire, but I am totally a MTL vaper so I wouldn't expect much difference.

You could try a higher "ramp up wattage" and that might help a bit, but it kind of sounds like you are running into "OMG clouds" already, so I'm not sure that's exactly worth your while and etc.

But, what you are doing is learning your preferences by stretching your build envelope, which IMO is exactly what you "should" be doing to figure out your preferences, so either way, it's a win :)

Anna

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
A ouple things to try. Center your coils in the deck. Pull your coils out as far as you can. Lift the coils so you can just see the bottom of the coils through the airflow. You want the airfliw to hit the coils at about 4:30. You also want to have the same amount of wicking in both coils. It might just be the picture but it looks like there is 2 different size coils. What wattage are you running those coils? 65 watts or so?

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
A ouple things to try. Center your coils in the deck. Pull your coils out as far as you can. Lift the coils so you can just see the bottom of the coils through the airflow. You want the airfliw to hit the coils at about 4:30. You also want to have the same amount of wicking in both coils. It might just be the picture but it looks like there is 2 different size coils. What wattage are you running those coils? 65 watts or so?

Yeah there the same size must be the angle of the pick.

And yes about 65 Watts.

I’ll try lifting them up higher. I’m afraid to pull them too far away from posts because of the sleeve or whatever it’s called touching them. But I’ll give it a go. Thank you.

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Well, more metal in your build will slow ramp up speed, so yes, that's unavoidable (unless you want to build to a lower resistance and use a different gauge of wire and etc. There are probably things you can experiment with.

Past a certain point, I think dual coils do lend themselves to cloud chasing, not so much flavor chasing. It takes a lot of experimentation (I think) in order to settle on a dual coil build that works for you in terms of flavor and not too much metal while not making the resistance so low that you'll wind up using more wattage, and possibly less flavor.

Some flavors do better with higher wattage, but I guess you are experiencing the difference between single and dual coils, and if you prefer the single coil, well, you have experience with that.

I built a dual coil RTA one time. I was not impressed (mostly, due to double the work, annoyances with keeping my resistance high enough and etc., which was tricky to deal with. I tend to be much happier with single round wire, but I am totally a MTL vaper so I wouldn't expect much difference.

You could try a higher "ramp up wattage" and that might help a bit, but it kind of sounds like you are running into "OMG clouds" already, so I'm not sure that's exactly worth your while and etc.

But, what you are doing is learning your preferences by stretching your build envelope, which IMO is exactly what you "should" be doing to figure out your preferences, so either way, it's a win :)

Anna

Thanks for the encouragement Anna! I think I’ll make a couple of simple round wire coils and try that out. You’re right it’s good for me to be experimenting to learn as much as I can and what works best for me.

• Love
Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
what wattage are you driving these at? i have a couple of squonkers that i run plain round wire dual coils that meter in at ~.52 ohms that i run at 35watts. but these are dual spaced 26 awg ss316l, very little ramp up, and good flavor. i had a dead rabbit that i ran dual juggernauts @.25 ohms, had to run them at almost 60 watts to get the same ramp up, but was too hot of a vape and spit lava juice on my tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread