Dual Coil ohms vs Single coil ohms - comparable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toth

Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Norway
Hi all.
So listen, according to different charts, too low resistance is not reccomended for certain batteries. Say, you shouldn't use a 1.8 SC on a standard eGo, right?
However, it seems Dual Coil, and DCT's, which normally sums up to 1.5-1.8 ohms is ok and endorsed..!

F.ex Madvapes tell you to not use below 2.0 SC on an eGo, but tell you you can gladly use a 1.5 DC on the same battery.

Why is this? Aren't ohms ohms anymore? Are DC ohms different than SC ohms?

Bringing me to Q2: I've got an ego-type VV on the way(3.2/3.7/4.2) - what's the ideal resistance to puff at 4.2? I like carto-tanks alot, but it seems they're always DCT, single-coil-tank doesn't seem to be a thing?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The way I understand it, a 1.5 ohm dual coil, has two heating elements of 3.0 ohms each. But used together in the same electric circuit, the resistance becomes 1.5 ohm. Make sense? I would guess that if one of the coils burns out, the ohm of the remaining coil becomes 1.5.

I'll state at this point that I never cared for low resistance cartos. I prefer a cooler vape.

My experience with dual coils
I'm not versed in electricity. All I know is how things vape. Having tried dual coils for a couple of months when I got my first carto tanks, I noted that I often got some harshness, sometimes some burnt taste in the 2.0 ohm dual coils on my 3.7 volt mods. It wasn't because the cartos were not getting enough juice delivery to them, I'm certain. I was concerned enough that I decided to do some investigating on ECF forums.

Research: Dual vs Single Coils
Mostly opinions were found, no real facts. Some said dual cartos were developed by Smoktech to allow 3.7v mods to produce more vapor. Then there was another group that believed that for dual coils to fully exhibit their full potential, they needed at least 4.5v fed into them. Contradictory? :blink: I thought so.

There was a surprisingly high number of people who had switched from dual coils to single coils. Improved battery life was the overwhelming reason. Not enough benefit of increased vapor to merit the battery drain. I decided to give single coils a try.

Trial with single coils
I bought a whole bunch of 2.o ohm single coil Smoktek tank replacement cartos. I changed out all of my dozen or so tanks with them. I've been using them for about 2 months now, and couldn't be happier. Same vapor production, same flavor. Noticable improvement in my batteries' life, and best of all no more burnt flavor or harshness. For my purposes, the single coils are the winners hands down.

Since my experiment and changeover, I've gotten a Provari. I use 3.0 ohm single coil cartos with it and have been perfectly happy with my results.

Rant over QC issues
We all are aware of the quality control issues that China has been having in the last few months. It seems to be affecting all the manufacturers across the board. I'm wondering if the QC of the dual coil cartos, being that they are so popular, has slipped due to Smoktech trying to keep up with increased demand.

My theory:
Perhaps my issue with the harshness and burnt flavor in my old 2.o ohm dual coils was merely from having a single coil burning out and continuing to fire the one coil left, effectively becoming a 1.5 ohm coil. Does that make any sense?

What I use now
Should you be interested, here is where I order mine: Single Coil XL Tank Cartomizer for the SmokTank XL

I order 2.0 ohm for my 3.7v mods and 3.0 ohm for the Provari. I order a bunch of 1 hole laser-drilled and a bunch of 2 hole laser-drilled. Juice with the usual 50/50 pg/vg mix get one hole cartos, anything with more than 60% vg gets the 2 hole cartos.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Until proven otherwise. :D

Last edited:

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
The way I understand it, a 1.5 ohm dual coil, has two heating elements of 3.0 ohms each. But used together in the same electric circuit, the resistance becomes 1.5 ohm. Make sense? I would guess that if one of the coils burns out, the ohm of the remaining coil becomes 1.5.

Nope. If there are two 3 ohm coils in parallel (1.5 ohms over all) and one blows, the remaining coil will be 3 ohms and your vape will suffer. This is the point where you throw out the atty and replace it. Just had one blow a few days ago in that exact manner.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nope. If there are two 3 ohm coils in parallel (1.5 ohms over all) and one blows, the remaining coil will be 3 ohms and your vape will suffer. This is the point where you throw out the atty and replace it. Just had one blow a few days ago in that exact manner.
If that is true, and I don't doubt you may know better than me, does that mean that a 2.0 ohm dual coil carto has two 4 ohm coils in it? So if one coil blows, I will still have the one coil left firing at 4.o ohms?

Ok, so that blows my theory of why I sometimes got burnt taste and harshness with the dual coils. Perhaps I just like the cooler vape that the single coils provide me.

BethAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Over Yonder, Texas
www.facebook.com

I'll state at this point that I never cared for low resistance cartos. I prefer a cooler vape.

I'm not versed in electricity. All I know is how things vape. Having tried dual coils for a couple of months when I got my first carto tanks, I noted that I often got some harshness, sometimes some burnt taste in the 2.0 ohm dual coils on my 3.7 volt mods. It wasn't because the cartos were not getting enough juice delivery to them, I'm certain. I was concerned enough that I decided to do some investigating on ECF forums.

Mostly opinions were found, no real facts. Some said dual cartos were developed by Smoktech to allow 3.7v mods to produce more vapor. Then there was another group that believed that for dual coils to fully exhibit their full potential, they needed at least 4.5v fed into them. Contradictory? :blink: I thought so.

There was a surprisingly high number of people who had switched from dual coils to single coils. Improved battery life was the overwhelming reason. Not enough benefit of increased vapor to merit the battery drain. I decided to give single coils a try.

I bought a whole bunch of 2.o ohm single coil Smoktek tank replacement cartos. I changed out all of my dozen or so tanks with them. I've been using them for about 2 months now, and couldn't be happier. Same vapor production, same flavor. Noticable improvement in my batteries' life, and best of all no more burnt flavor or harshness. For my purposes, the single coils are the winners hands down.

Since my experiment and changeover, I've gotten a Provari. I use 3.0 ohm single coil cartos with it and have been perfectly happy with my results.

We all are aware of the quality control issues that China has been having in the last few months. It seems to be affecting all the manufacturers across the board. I'm wondering if the QC of the dual coil cartos, being that they are so popular, has slipped due to Smoktech trying to keep up with increased demand.

My theory: Perhaps my issue with the harshness and burnt flavor in my old 2.o ohm dual coils was merely from having a single coil burning out and continuing to fire the one coil left, effectively becoming a 1.5 ohm coil. Does that make any sense?

Should you be interested, here is where I order mine: Single Coil XL Tank Cartomizer for the SmokTank XL

I order 2.0 ohm and 3.0 ohm for my 3.7v and Provari, respectively. I order a bunch of 1 hole laser-drilled and a bunch of 2 hole laser-drilled. Juice with the usual 50/50 pg/vg mix get one hole cartos, anything with more than 60% vg gets the 2 hole cartos.

This is wonderful info! Thanks for sharing what you have learned and what works for you!!!

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
Hi all.
So listen, according to different charts, too low resistance is not reccomended for certain batteries. Say, you shouldn't use a 1.8 SC on a standard eGo, right?
However, it seems Dual Coil, and DCT's, which normally sums up to 1.5-1.8 ohms is ok and endorsed..!

F.ex Madvapes tell you to not use below 2.0 SC on an eGo, but tell you you can gladly use a 1.5 DC on the same battery.

Why is this? Aren't ohms ohms anymore? Are DC ohms different than SC ohms?

Bringing me to Q2: I've got an ego-type VV on the way(3.2/3.7/4.2) - what's the ideal resistance to puff at 4.2? I like carto-tanks alot, but it seems they're always DCT, single-coil-tank doesn't seem to be a thing?

My target vape watts is around 9-10 or close to it. To get that with a standard ego (throwing up at an average 3.2-3.4) one would use a LR single coil cartomizer/atomizer. Using a dual coil cartomizer/atomizer would use more battery power just to perform as good as a single coil. Your battery will last longer with a single coil. (based on my experience with standard egos...LR single coil is better than LR dual coil)

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
When the Smoktech dual coil carto tanks first came out I bought one and used it on my eGo. That baby was awesome, it worked for like 3 weeks before it started developing a burnt taste. Well I also got some other cartos, attys and stuff at the time and didn't buy any replacement dual coil cartos for the tank for like months on end. I finally decided to get some more after finding the tank in my stash, and since then every single DC carto i've tried has SUCKED! I mean, terrible. Either they don't wick well, or they give me a burnt taste, or in the case of the last time I ordered 5 of them from Madvapes, not a single one would put out more than a tiny wisp of vapor on any of my devices at any settings I tried. I hate DC's and will never waste money on them again.

toth

Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Norway

My theory: Perhaps my issue with the harshness and burnt flavor in my old 2.o ohm dual coils was merely from having a single coil burning out and continuing to fire the one coil left, effectively becoming a 1.5 ohm coil. Does that make any sense?

I order 2.0 ohm and 3.0 ohm for my 3.7v and Provari, respectively. I order a bunch of 1 hole laser-drilled and a bunch of 2 hole laser-drilled. Juice with the usual 50/50 pg/vg mix get one hole cartos, anything with more than 60% vg gets the 2 hole cartos.

Not often does one appreciate wall-of-text. This time we did! :toast:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not often does one appreciate wall-of-text. This time we did! :toast:
:laugh:
At least I broke it up every couple of sentences with a new paragraph, whether I needed to or not.

Sorry about the long story. I was only sharing about my journey of why and how I switched over from dual coil to single coil cartomizers. It seems some people did enjoy it or got something useful out of it.

Edit: Ok, I went back and put some headers in with bold print to break it up. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread