Dual coils... 60 watt mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm building a RDTA (Aspire Quad Flex Kit... velocity style deck) and want to try dual fused claptons but my mod is only 60 watts.
Coil specs: fused clapton, A1 (kanthal) 28ga*2 core, 32ga wrap 0.45 Ohms (each)
Can my mod handle dual coils 0.225 ohms?
If not, how about these instead?
clapton A1 (kanthal) 26ga core, 35 ga wrap 0.8 ohm (each)
so dual coils 0.4 ohms (these are actually the same ones that came with the kit)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I'm building a RDTA (Aspire Quad Flex Kit... velocity style deck) and want to try dual fused claptons but my mod is only 60 watts.
Coil specs: fused clapton, A1 (kanthal) 28ga*2 core, 32ga wrap 0.45 Ohms (each)
Can my mod handle dual coils 0.225 ohms?
If not, how about these instead?
clapton A1 (kanthal) 26ga core, 35 ga wrap 0.8 ohm (each)
so dual coils 0.4 ohms (these are actually the same ones that came with the kit)

Your mod will have a resistance limit, typically this is between 0.1 to 3 ohms. Some will go down as low as 0.05, a handful will go even lower. If resistance falls outside theses limits, the mod will give an error and not fire. Check your mods specifications to see what are its limits. If your resistance falls within your devices limits, you can use it. However.....

With a fixed voltage source, resistance dictates the power output. With a variable wattage, resistance becomes an arbitrary number. Regardless, both scenarios it is the coil mass that dictates how much power is needed. A 1 ohm coil made of 28 awg wire is significantly less in mass than a 1 ohm coil made of 24 awg wire using the same metal. The later will require more power to heat the coil within the same duration as the 28 awg coil – resistance is the same!

Modeling your coils within Steam Engine, the Fused Clapton is approx. 50% greater in mass over the regular Clapton. If limited to only 60 watts I would say the regular Clapton would be better suited.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Punk, that's what I thought. Will have to check min ohms for my mod, but I suspected those fused claptons just have too much mass... even if I could use them, would be long ramp-up time. My mod is single 18650 battery... found one on clearance sale that takes 2 batteries (I do have 2) and should work great (don't want to tell... every time I do they are gone before I order one) It's a good brand with Yihi chip. For now, I'll just use the regular claptons (I actually also use one in my single coil RTA for restricted DL... it rocks for that)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Punk, that's what I thought. Will have to check min ohms for my mod, but I suspected those fused claptons just have too much mass... even if I could use them, would be long ramp-up time. My mod is single 18650 battery... found one on clearance sale that takes 2 batteries (I do have 2) and should work great (don't want to tell... every time I do they are gone before I order one) It's a good brand with Yihi chip. For now, I'll just use the regular claptons (I actually also use one in my single coil RTA for restricted DL... it rocks for that)

Don’t know if you are winding the coil from Claptonized wire or if they are pre-made, but the Fused Clapton could make for a great single coil application. Just ensure your batteries are up to the task…multiply their CDR by 3 will give you their max wattage for a single battery. If using 2 or more batteries, multiply the CDR by 3, then multiply by the amount of batteries your device holds.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
They are both pre-made coils (3mm ID I think) My batteries are rated 30 A but mooch says more like 20-25 A
If the leads are long enough, I could add an extra wrap if that would help (more resistance but more mass) would that just make things worse? Someone just gave me a tip about using Ni80 rectangular wire... sounds good!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There is no such thing as a 35 amp 18650. The size of the cell limits the CDR to 30 watts max. But the cell must be desinged as a 30 amp battery. MXJO are re-wraps, re-wraps are known for exageratted specifications. They are also known for changing the battery but not adjusting the specs accordingly. Please look at Mooch's tests and use with caution. Do not exceed the batteries CDR limits.

List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Adding a wrap, you are adding more resistance, but also more mass – therefore more power is required. If you remove a wrap (if that is possible), you both decrease resistance and decrease mass – less power is required.

NOW…if you were to use a higher gauge wire, it’s resistance would be greater than the same metal, of same length but of a lower gauge. However, it’s mass would be lower therefore require less power.

If you are using a fixed voltage device, Ohms law tells us that resistance will dictate the power. However, in this case the coils mass will determine if that power is adequate or not.

When using variable wattage device, resistance no longer dictates the power. You do! That said, 60 watts into 1 ohm is still 60 watts into 0.1 ohms. Your device will read the resistance and adjust the voltage accordingly to meet your wattage demand. You adjust that wattage based on the coils mass.

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I understand... won't add extra wrap. Mooch says 20 A actual rating for my batteries. Mod is regulated Kbox mini 60W.
Might be awhile before I get that dual battery mod... hope they are still in stock (only $20... that's why I won't post link, my mod was only $10... posted link and then went to order another one and out of stock) Going to go ahead and order the fused claptons even if I just save them... 10 for $2 (won't post those either) After I get my clearance items, I'll post links to help others.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mooch tested 3 MXJO batteries that are rated for 35 amps. 2 of them he suspects were Samsung 30Q’s which are rated for 15 amps. The third he stated at 20 amps the battery ran hotter than normal. These are just the samples Mooch received for testing – all of which was conducted 3 to 4 years ago. There is a good probability these cells were changed over the years but the specifications were not. That is the risk with re-wrapped cells. You never know what you are getting. Proceed with caution.

Personally, I would forgo the Clapton type coils and invest in brand name batteries from a reputable retailer.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I guess I would be better off just getting better batteries than another mod. Any suggestions... Sony, LG...?
So far I've never gone over 40 watts.

Sony Murata, Samsung, LG, Molicel, all great batteries. If you want to toy with 60 watts, you will want a 20 amp battery as a minimum.

IMR Batteries has a 15% off sale this week.

• Agree

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    I guess I would be better off just getting better batteries than another mod. Any suggestions... Sony, LG...?
    So far I've never gone over 40 watts.

I've always used the LG HG2, never had a problem at all.
    The Brownies are a great battery;)

• Agree

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    My other mod is the (don't laugh) original Kbox 40W so I'll get new batteries for my 60 watt mod and use the ones I have for the 40 watt. Don't really need another mod if I don't have good batteries. Thanks for reminding me of that. And, yes, I have external charger.

I know about vaping on a low budget. The only thing I refuse to budget on is batteries - I only buy authentic brand name, Mooch approved batteries, from a recommended supplier.

I received a 'free' battery with my first Eleaf Pico 75w (cost $18), from an online store. It was labelled as an LG HG2, and the right colour. But the fact that it was free was a red card, plus the fact the store didn't actually sell that battery - after comparing it to my authentic LG HG2 batteries, yes, it was a fake ;)

It's sat unused in a plastic battery case ever since. The trouble with fakes/rewraps is you have no idea what the original cell actually is. If it was this one for example:
    Bench Test Results: AWT 35A 3500mAh 18650...laughably overrated, only an 8A battery, do not buy
    It would only be safe up to 24 watts in a regulated mod - not a risk I was willing to take.

Scroll to the bottom of Mooch's Blog, he recommends which companies to use

Back on to the dual coils :thumb:

I've discovered RDTAs are very very thirsty ;) For your first build, id just use dual round wire coils. Then bust out the claptons :cool:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread