The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Dual Coils - Do they make a difference.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by OriginalDaemon, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. OriginalDaemon

OriginalDaemon Full Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Edinburgh
    I recently got some iClear16s (2.0ohm) and was really looking forward to trying this dual coil thing out. When I first fired some up I was amazed. Then my glasses, tinted by the reviews I had read and the money I had just spent, finally cleared and I realised, in terms of vapour production, they just weren't really any better than the single coils I have.

The 2.2ohm EVODs I have give me the same amount of vapour and the flavour is better/more consistent. The iClear16s do produce noticeably more vapour than my Vivi Novas and more flavour, but I can rebuild the vivi.

I'm not saying they are bad, on the contrary, they are fantastic, I was just expecting more. Just so it doesn't seem I'm totally just hating on the iClear16, I do want to point out that I really prefer them to the CE4s I had and they seem to work better. Also the shape of them allows me to cram them into my pocket sized case easier than even my EVODs by just alternating which way up I put them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had some experience of dual coils they could share? Maybe I'm doing something wrong with them or maybe these just aren't the best dual coils out there (I'm currently considering getting a kayfun clone - I'm cheap - so I have the option of building dual coils if I want).

2. cloudsUnderway

cloudsUnderway Senior Member Verified Member

Oct 17, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    When I first ventured into dual coils, I wasn't impressed as well. I kept at it though. The more and more that you build, and tinker with different types of setups it will get better. It does certainly come down to preference though.

Another thing to mention is air flow. If you are running a dual coil setup and only have one hole in your atomizer, the coils are not going to get the proper amount of airflow required to produce a consistent vape.

Good luck and vape on

3. JulesXsmokr

JulesXsmokr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

In a clearo, it would probably give only a warmer vape,'bout it...

4. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    In cartomizers, they provide a warmer vape. BUT, you have to have a PV that can handle them. It needs to be 3.5 amp switch or higher for a 1.5 ohm DCC.

5. CommaHolly

CommaHolly Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    love my Iclear,,,,,,,,,,yes, I notice more vape,,,,,,,,and since I love a warm vape, it's perfect for me.

6. OriginalDaemon

Oct 27, 2013
    Edinburgh
    One thing that is rather nice is the warm vape on them. Some flavours just feel better hot. I just got some "hot cinnamon" which I think would be great at a higher temperature, but sadly it was a bit too hot for a plastic tank. I did also get some pumpkin pie flavour which I'll be firing in the iClear when I have one spare.

I've been using these on an itaste vv v3.0, usually at 8 watts in case that helps.

I am planning on investing in one of these bigger mods as well, to go along with a kayfun clone. Currently deciding between the vamo V3/5 (I figure it's a good starter for me since I wouldn't mind breaking it) and the innokin SVD (for the higher build quality). I considered the seigelei zmax and the vmax, but the one button interface looks aggrivating, the evic and the inferno, which are both a bit expensive for a first timer I think and a few others which I stumbled upon randomly. I really can't make up my mind though. One minute I'm set on the vamo and the next the SVD takes the lead.

7. GoodNews!

GoodNews! Moved On

Oct 25, 2013
    Vaping, USA
    I hate the flavor of the Aspire dual coil, factory residue seems to ruin anything I put in it, but as much as I hate the thing, I find myself wishing so badly that it tasted normal because, to me, the vapor production is pretty unreal. I haven't tried the iClear's yet, so I don't know how they compare, but vapor-wise, there may be something to dual coil. It all depends on how well a juice will wick though. A great wicking device will give someone a good, solid vape that is standard in all areas.

8. OriginalDaemon

Oct 27, 2013
    Edinburgh
    Well, I would definately suggest trying the iClears then. They seem to wick pretty good, I haven't had a dry hit at all off mine and performance is reasonably consistent, with a caveat that they do perform a little stronger when the tank is more than 75% full. I only had my first hint of a problem yesterday when I ran my juice all the way down to the very bottom and I mean the very very bottom.

These are solid clearos. My only issue is that I can't practically rebuild the coils and I haven't notice much difference in vapour production. So I'm just not sure the trade off is really work it.

9. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I think very highly of the iClear 30 clearos. Unlike the iClear 16 which only has 8 wicks, the iClear 30 has 16 wicks. I get better vapor and flavor production than the Kanger Protanks. Juice capacity is 3 ml.

10. RPadTV

RPadTV Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Planet Awesome
    Did you rinse the Aspire and soak it in vodka? You should do that with any clearomizer.

11. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2013
    New Mexico
    X2 on the I30 they are much better vapor and taste IMHO.

12. OriginalDaemon

Oct 27, 2013
    Edinburgh
    I have ordered a couple of iClear30s so I can try them out. I also got a proper rebuildable so I can try experimenting more with the daul vs single coil set ups.

13. CommaHolly

CommaHolly Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Plant City, FL
    I tried to go back to vivi novas,,,,,,,

couldn't do it.

I am really loving these Iclear30.

14. Nightcall

Nightcall Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2013
    USA
    I lean towards liking single coil over dual coil. I have the iClear 16 and Aspire ET-S and both have been good performers, but they seem to make flavors a bit too intense? I don't know, I'm always changing my mind on vaping. Single coil devices seem to give me a more realistic flavor.

15. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Some people love dual coils, and use nothing else. That said, a person needs to learn how to take advantage of what DC has to offer, and have the equipment that can support them. So no different than most of the things we use, one person loves them, and another hates them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.