Status
Not open for further replies.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I've never used a carto or nonrebuildable atty on a REO. I'm wondering, on the standard REO does it have a well to hold the eliquid so it can be obsorbed in the carto or so it can fully saturate the atty head?

I guess what I'm wondering is why there has ever been a well. I know there's a purpose for it but since I've only used a REO with an rda the purpose is sort of lost to me.

I know some of you like to use nonrebuildables &/or cartos with your REOs so I figured this was the place to find out the answer to this question.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Cartos could leak and the dripwell was to catch that liquid and 'recycle' it, at the same time stopping it from dripping all down the mod and your hand!

Some of the early atties also had bottom air-flow, so and juice in the dripwell would be sucked back into the atty on the next vape, possibly lessening the number of dry hits. An A7 was such an atty.

But with newer atties now, most have holes in the topcaps so the benefits of a dripwell are negated and furthermore, the dripwell meant anything much bigger than 14mm would not fit. Hence the LP (low profile) Reos onto which anything with a 510 will work.

T

ETA - it can sometimes be useful and help troubleshoot a Reo that seems not to work by attaching a carto. My Woodvil would not fire with an atty on it, yet a carto would.
I had Rob mill down a RM2 to my measurements, because whilst it would screw in - it was not far enough in to fire, and you could not see that.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Ah, yes. "Blind Squonking" a dual coil cartomizers, while steering 78,000 lbs. at 75 mph. The Good Ol' Days.
The Juice Well, or Catch Cup served that purpose. For me personally, my 'At Work' Grands get dropped, floor-board dribbled, and the occasional accidently drop-kicked off the running boards, flat bed trailers, across parking lots, etc. I prefer the 'Classic' Grand for an At Work Mod as I believe the Juice Well actually serves as a protective shoulder around the 510 connector. I have pretty well beaten the Black Wrinkle paint off of all 12 corners (Top, Bottom, Juice Well) of both of my Grands, yet I've never damaged an RM2 or a 510 connector. Broken a few drip tips, but not the RBA or the connector.
So, yea, I would say the Juice Well (Protective Shoulder) still serves a purpose for those of us who Labor.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
My mini has fallen off the table several times too & I agree with you that I'm glad to have the well portion protecting the 510 connection too. The little bit of damage I have on my mod is around the corners where that well is & it's from those few times it's fallen & hit the corner (where it would have otherwise hit the atty & maybe broken it off).

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I drop my mods all the time, It's the reason I came to Reoville, I was tired of replacing dead mods a couple of times a year. I have 10 various LP mods and drop them all the time with no damage to the RBA or threads. But I also have O rings under the RBAs and I think that helps stabilizes them and protects the 510 from damage.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I'd argue that the limitations on atty sizes an 'old' Reo imposes is too high a price, but it really depends on what you like to vape. Nothing i currently use will fit on one, but i am what Rob calls a 'lung-burner'. If you are quite content with milled RM2s, Cyclones and all those that do fit - then that's fine, but they also fit a LP Reo.

The new LP's are all fitted with the new 510, so damage to that will a lot harder achieve. Naturally i've wrecked one of the old 510s, but even then it was a combination of bad luck; the mod fell nose down and the atty and driptip (both SS) hit the ground at the perfect angle.
The Reo still worked but the atty had a 'Leaning tower of Pisa' thing going on.

I still wince at that one.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread