Dumb it down for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Lee

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2013
FLA
Maybe I've already had too much tryptophan, who knows. I am just trying to really understand the hybrid/mechanical advantage over something like an MVP or a SID with a comparable rba/rda. Maybe I am understanding it wrong. I do not care about sub-ohm; we are talking LR or SR setups.

With a mech, you get the voltage the battery gives you. So if you have a 3.7 volt 18650 or 18350, how is that better than even an eGo type battery that is rated @ 3.7? Why is it better than VW from an MVP or SID? Maybe better is the incorrect term to use.

I get the cost factor once you have a stockpile of batteries and all. I understand the simplicity of less parts to break. Mechs are definitely cheaper to obtain and collect. (referring to clones) I just don't get how mechanically they are considered better. I would think you would get more consistent power delivery from a metered/controlled PV with Vv or VW. (Leave the Kick/Kick2 type chips out of it)

As I used to say the next morning, "...please fill in the blanks."

What am I missing to get it through my thick head or are they really "better"? :blink:

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I like them better for their simplicity. They work every time I press the button. If they don't, I swap out a battery and am vaping within a minute (unless of course it is my coil). I don't have to worry about some chip not working properly with a low ohm coil, or some disposable devices internal battery needing charging or wearing out.

Sometimes all the gizmos just get in the way of the vape I am after. It doesn't have to be so complicated ya know?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe I've already had too much tryptophan, who knows. I am just trying to really understand the hybrid/mechanical advantage over something like an MVP or a SID with a comparable RBA/RDA. Maybe I am understanding it wrong. I do not care about sub-ohm; we are talking LR or SR setups.

With a mech, you get the voltage the battery gives you. So if you have a 3.7 volt 18650 or 18350, how is that better than even an eGo type battery that is rated @ 3.7? Why is it better than VW from an MVP or SID? Maybe better is the incorrect term to use.

What am I missing to get it through my thick head or are they really "better"? :blink:
As far as I am concerned, you already "get it".

The only advantage a mechanical mod would have over a regulated mod is it can bypass the protected circuitry to be able to use sub-ohm coils. Otherwise, a regulated mod has the following advantages:

• Protected circuitry to detect & shut down the mod before a short ruins the mod or injures the user.

• Regulates the voltage production to be consistant so there is no effects from battery voltage sag as the battery is used.

• Ability to adjust voltage higher or lower to suit the specific flavor that you are using, aka it's "sweet spot".
  • The ability to use any resistance juice attachment by adjusting the voltage or using variable wattage mode.

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I originally bought a mech for its simplicity. My worries about upcoming regulation of vaping had me concerned that hardware could be difficult for me to get if they ban internet sales. With a mech it is reasonably simple to repair yourself should something break. If you drop it in a puddle. Get rid of the battery, dry out the mod, insert new battery and you are good to go. No electronics to fry in water.

Utew

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Eugene, OR
I like my things to be as easy as lighting a cigarette was. No buttons, no worries. No woman, no cry.

nice... we be jammin' :vapor:

Myrany's point is difficult to argue with...

.. still... for safety's sake... regulated is the way to go, but for the daring crowd. What's that saying?
"Fortune favors the bold." unless of course your battery shorts and mech go boom!

Last edited:

rumthin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
Toronto
I think a lot of people like the aesthetics of mech mods over regulated mods as well. I exclusively use mech mods, and I'm not a sub ohm vaper either.

Most regulated devices, aside from ego style batteries, are humongous imo. I'm not the biggest guy, so lugging around a Vamo or standard sized Provari and sticking out like a sore thumb everywhere I go isn't very appealing.

I use 18350 and 16340 mechs when I leave the house for a nice discreet setup. It also helps that I'm not really a chain vapor. I can get through a work day fine with one 18350 battery.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'd just add that with a mech, you sort of tailor the coil/wick to work with a battery's nominal voltage under load (taking care not to overtax the battery, of course).

With a mod, you tailor your voltage or wattage to suit the coil/wick combo.

As a N00b, it seems to me that the VV/VW mod setup to be more forgiving to inconsistencies is coil makeup. If 3.9 volts isn't working for you, try 4.0. If you wind a coil for a mech and it just plain sucks, you wind another coil.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
...battery shorts and mech go boom!

If a battery shorts, it's going to vent in any mod it's in... be that an internal short in the battery or a positive post contacting the negative mod body.

Now if an atty shorts, a mech with a hot spring such as a REO, will disconnect the battery. Other mechs depend upon the common sense of the user to get off the fire button if the mod starts getting hot when it's pressed.

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
KISS = Mech

VV = Variety

I would argue just the opposite. With VV/VW all the complications are taken care of by the device, set it and forget it. with a mech and a rebuilable everything is up to you, coil not giving good vapor? What did I do wrong? Is it wicking? Is the airflow enough? Is the air hole lined up properly? Is the coil at the right resistance? If I drop it can the battery handle it safely?

I my opinion VV/VW is easy but limiting. Mechs are harder but a lot more variable, for better or worse, it's up to you.

Utew

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Eugene, OR
If a battery shorts, it's going to vent in any mod it's in... be that an internal short in the battery or a positive post contacting the negative mod body.

Now if an atty shorts, a mech with a hot spring such as a REO, will disconnect the battery. Other mechs depend upon the common sense of the user to get off the fire button if the mod starts getting hot when it's pressed.

You're right, of course.. just me being overly dramatic.

Still, I have the sneaking suspicion that for a lot of people regulated is the way to go.. at least until learning well, what calamities incorrect batteries and low resistance can cause users of lesser knowledge.

For those in the know and backed by substantial knowledge and understanding.. have at it. There are some really beautiful mechs out there and they have an allure all their own. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For some reaaon i think the mechs give me a much cleaner flavor with no burned tasted... Feels like my vamo just burns every liquid compared to my mech
Much of that can be attributed to the inferior 33.3 hz PWM chip that the Vamo and the majority of regulated mods made overseas use; the so-called "rattlesnake" effect. Regulated mods that use a much higher PWM chip with quality filters (ie. Provari, iTaste MVP & VV3, DNA mods) have a cleaner and smoother vape.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/381232-provari-oscope-vs-vamo.html

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

You can not deny that a mechanical mod suffers from battery voltage drop as the battery is used in a way that a regulated mod does not. It's a gradual drop in vape, but it's there just the same.

For the vast majority of vapors who do not wish to fiddle with homemade coils and wicks, a regulated mod is the better way to go for regulating the voltage to be consistant throughout the battery's life, and having the option to adjust voltage to different flavors just isn't an option with a mechanical mod. Unless of course a Kick is used - and if you go to the expense of both a mechanical mod and a Kick, wouldn't it make better sense to have just gone with a regulated mod in the first place?

Since being able to fine tune my voltage to each flavor that I use, I couldn't imagine being limited to a fixed voltage battery. Maybe if I had the so-called All Day Vape I could, but I switch flavors 3 - 4 times a day because I love variety when I vape.

To each his own, but that's what works best for me.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I have a few mech mods and RBAs because they give me a sense of security in case of vapocalypse.

As far as I can see, there are 3 reasons to get mech mods:
  • Reliability in case of vapocalypse
  • Ability to use sub-ohm RBAs
  • Aesthetics
Most mech mods that I can afford aren't very well made and don't feel all that great to use. The only one I use regularly is the Legacy that I got when PureSmoker went out of business.

I still like to use my non-mech simple mods (like my red Bolt or my little 3.7 volt box mod). They're small, simple, and fun just like mech mods, but not as versatile as the VV mods and not as immune to wear-and-tear as the mech mods.

But, it is frustrating sometimes not to have VV/VW. So, they all have their place.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
In practical terms, for me... it translates to the ability to fire up a 0.8 ohm coil made up of 28 awg kanthal. Which I find heats up faster than your average higher resistance coils. Even if you feed those higher resistance coils a higher voltage... To the extent that your average VV device can up the voltage, of course.

I prefer being able to know what batteries I use and what capabilities and chemistries they posess. So, I'm left with the choice between VV/VW mods or mechs. I find VV/VW mods to be humongous in size compared to your average mech mod.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I'm happy where I'm at.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
on off on off on off on off on off on off .... put it in your pocket

then

on off on off on off on off ... and put it away again.

repeatedly, hour after hour day after day week after week etc..., that's a lot of on off cycles... a lot. so in the end it's really all about the connection, the button, everything else is just details and tuning, but without the on off, no vape

ecigs or pv's or mods or whatever you want to call them are all about one thing electrically, and that is on off on off so in the end it's really all about the switch....

that is also the biggest difference between a mech and an electronic device, the way it switches on and off

the mech mechanical connection basically touches 2 pieces of metal together to close the circuit and allow current to flow. each time a mech is switched on by pressing the button there is an arc as the connection initiates current flow. this button must flow all of the current so it needs to be substantial. the button is one of the most important parts of any mech.

the connection when perfectly clean and not oxidized allows current to flow straight from the battery to the atty at battery voltage, minus any resistance in the circuit that is the mod. this connection point that controls on off every time degrades as you use it, arcs cause oxidation and oxidation causes an outer crust of oxidation on the metals surface, microscopically at first but it builds up and builds up until it starts to restrict the current flow. it can eventually get bad enough that you start to hear the term misfire, that's when you press the button to initiate on but the connection has degraded to the point that it doesn't even let much current flow at all, so you then start pressing the button harder and harder to initiate contact and eventually you take it apart and clean up all the connections, hopefully put a dab of anti oxidizing grease on there and the cycle begins all over again.

as the connection degrades so does performance, a high resistance connection point for on off sucks power from the battery just like your atty does so battery performance suffers and the vape suffers. everyone with a mech knows how it feels to have the contacts degrade to the point that the mod is working like crap, then take it apart and clean up all the connections and put it back together and say, ahhh, that's how it's supposed to work :) but again the cycle continues and the connection starts degrading right after your done cleaning it.

some higher end mods address this with exotic plating of the firing pin, stuff like gold and silver even rhodium plating are done to slow down this process but nobody has made any batteries with gold contacts so any mod that's doing it's on off switching by making and breaking direct contact with the end of the battery itself is going to experience this degrading performance more so and need to do some periodic contact maintenance and suffer degrading performance at times in between but even the exotic contacts that are remote from the battery ends still eventually need maintenance and performance still degrades with use.

an electronic on the other hand does not rely on a mechanical connection at all for this on off.

on an electronic device this on off connection is done inside of an ic chip. the connection can't degrade or oxidize because it is encapsulated in an oxygen free environment inside the chip and the on off always works consistently and is always at peak performance and never degrades. since the ic chip is remotely controlled the actual switch of the mod doesn't have to be substantial and doesn't have to carry any of the current itself so it can just be a smaller clicky button type switch that always works every press, never misfires and never degrades in performance and never needs to be pressed harder and harder, never needs maintenance and never winds up getting to the point of working like crap because it needs to be cleaned.

one thing I find funny is that many who prefer mechs claim it's because of reliability but in reality a electronic switching device is way more reliable and consistent from on off to on off vape after vape, def more reliable and consistent from battery fresh off the charger till almost dead

the main difference is the way it switches on off but the fact that you can now also vary the amount of power it outputs is a really nice bonus you get from most electronically switched devices. reliable switching and variable power output control.

I like and have both and prefer my vv vw devices for day to day use because of there reliability and consistency of vape but then again I also really like the simple mechanical sleekness of my poldiac too, so I wouldn't say one is better than the other, there different and they both have there pro's and con's, but the switch makes the mech, get a mech with a good switch at least if your gonna go mech :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread