Dumbest mistakes you've made in vaping (beginners to advanced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You guys may remember, from a couple months ago...

I've "kissed the dragon" before and burned my fingers on coils. But this one was exceptionally bad because I was holding it down full force while trying to screw it in.

I was rewicking, not coiling, when I tried to vape the atty I was working on. I imprinted the coil on my lip rather than my finger.

- Forgetting you've played with your mod then taking a hit at full power on a bvc. Fastest Draw Ever.

Yep, done that too, except I had turned it up unintentionally. Note to all vapers: BVCs do not provide a pleasant vape at 70 watts.

Top fill tank after giving it a good clean for a new coil. Prime coil, fill tank, 5ml of the last of my expensive juice I had been saving all over the mod & on the carpet. Scratch head, I did everything right. I wondered where the spare primed coil sitting on the coffee table came from, it was planned to be in the tank after priming....... and before filling the tank. I missed a step.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
1) Driving on the freeway and absentmindedly blowing a huuuuge cloud into my windshield with the other windows rolled up, completely lost visibility but luckily had electric windows and cleared the cabin within seconds.

2) Made may wick way too loose in an RTA and sucked up a chunk of it through my drip tip into my mouth.

3) Mixed my juice with way too much PG and nic, felt like I burned the skin off of the inside of my throat when I took a big puff at high Wattage.

4) Every time I get a new mod or tank I give myself nicotine poisoning because I won't stop playing with it.

5) Had a nice little RTA (still have it) that would become stuck at various tear-down steps, used a pair of scissors to help out, shattered the glass because I was holding it wrong, didn't have a spare glass (now have 5).

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Changed a coil on my tank, put it back together, removed the top cap and filled it. Was so engrossed in all of this that I forgot to put the top back on and picked it up to vape--- got a mouth full of juice the first time I did this - burned my mouth the second and last time.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Went from a mistake to a bonus:

Have a tiny stealth tank on a tiny stealth mod, ordered 3 extra tanks because they're fiddly, broke all 4 in two weeks showing it off, ordered and paid for 6 from China, got 30 spare glass instead. Gave away 4 of them last week to a guy at work who has 2 of the same devices.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
You guys may remember, from a couple months ago...

I've "kissed the dragon" before and burned my fingers on coils. But this one was exceptionally bad because I was holding it down full force while trying to screw it in.

View attachment 790857

Otherwise, worst decisions were bad purchases. Namely the Iconic RDA, Pulse 24 RDA (this one wasn't that bad, but I ordered a Drop the same night and picked up a Dead Rabbit the day after while waiting for the drop, so it never got used), Wasp RDA, and Profile RDA. Oh and my DotSquonk with 2 extra set of doors which cost as much as the mod itself. My $250 CAD paperweight. I could have just bought a nice one.

Bonus round best purchases? #1 ever is my B2K, 2 extra decks, and 3 extra caps. Followed by my Luna which got me to love Squonking. My Plug which is just a pure workhorse and gold standard of reliability. And my Stinger which I so dearly love.

that looks like a fresh burn.... did you do that on purpose to post here ??? ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Driving in my car, had my mod in my coat pocket, took it out and took a big hit. Didn't realize the mod went to full power while in my pocket and almost died from the massive burnt hit I just took. Fried that coil and didn't have a back up. After that, I checked the settings when taking a mod out of my pocket and taking a hit.

Been there, done that! I took my Innokin Proton to a family birthday outside in the play area at a Burger King. It was filled with juice, new wick ready to go. The joystick control on the side ramped up my settings as it moved around in my pants pocket.
First hit was Hot at 120W! I'm a 10W +/- vaper.

I finally juiced it up and got slightly burnt taste until I got back home. It's the only time I've regretted using Rayon instead of cotton. I think cotton might have withstood the instantaneous heat without partially melting in the coil. When I got home and removed the wick one side came out. It was almost burned in two, but still able to vape weakly. Go figure.

That little joystick control on the side of the Proton makes it an around the house vape, not a pocket carry mod unless you can remember to lock it.

Last edited:

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
Buying 500 Boge cartomisers because 'nothing will ever be better than these' just before the Kayfun came out.
This also applies to modern stuff obviously !
Jumped in the boat too, stockpile stm coils thinking this all I needed. just to find easy to use rta's.
If we wait long enough,they still could be useful.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Shorting a battery and nearly setting my house on fire
Shorting a battery with my wedding band and incinerating my finger
Reassembling a subtank mini without the chamber topcap and dumping an entire tank of juice out the AFC
Blowing a fat plume in the car an entirely obscuring my view of the road.
Using a cartotank with pure VG
Touching a hot coil with fingers, and also lips

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
my first factory prebuilt Joye atty. took a peek inside to see what a coil looked like and there was a fuzzy going thru it. figured it was a fuzzy from pocket lint. took a bit of work with a tweezer to get that dang fuzzy out. :). anybody ever re-wick a 510 atty? with a bridge, of course.

I did a few eGo and 510 rewicks. That was all it took to make me investigate the Kayfun 2 and similar MTL atties.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I've done the big, painful 50W bvc hit,
Bought several extra KM3's to decorate my vape graveyard cabinet right when I first discovered doggies,
Wasted tons of time cutting coil wire too short to make it easy to rebuild,
Wasted a lot of time searching the floor for tiny deck screws because I wasn't careful
Fried new wicks forgetting to open jfc on kayfuns
Way overbought diy material
Before I vaped, someone left this at my house after a party, and I threw it in my desk drawer. A week later, it tried to ignite my desk. Dumb not knowing about the battery, then dumb throwing the mod/atty away.
upload_2019-1-9_11-49-44.png

But the dumbest was quitting vaping, and smoking again for 5 years before vaping & quitting smokes again.

edit: Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what mod & atty that was that I threw away. Someone told me the mod was expensive, but I knew less than nothing about vaping at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread