Dummies you heard from Vape shop employees (Let's laugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My son lives in a different city. Since he vapes, whenever we get together I always ask what batteries he's using because he's been know to make bad choices before. He takes one out of his mod and shows me. "Vape shop guy said these were really good batteries, so I bought two. They're 40 amps."

image-jpeg.589905

Knowing the bad rep that Imren has in exaggerating their battery specs, we look on Mooch's Blog to see if he had bench tested them.

Imren Green 40A 3200mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...now 10A, shame on you Imren!

Since my son was using them in a dual battery regulated mod and only asking it to make 30 watts, the 20 amps from the two wasn't super critical. But just imagine if someone was using one in a mechanical mod believing the battery was a 40 amp battery.

I had a couple of spare LG HG2 3000mah 20 amp batteries on me and gave them to him, and told him never to buy batteries from that shop again.

This goes to show why you shouldn't trust the advice on batteries from a vape shop, EBay, or Amazon if you don't know about batteries yourself. Ask for advice here on ECF first.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This occured in the vape shop that I used to work at in 2014. We had sales associate employee who had only been a vaper for about 3 months, and somehow she managed to get promoted as store manager by the owner. I overheard a sales transaction nearby while I was working with another customer. My manager's customer needed new 18650's, and she said, "Oooh, I want those cute pink ones."

image-jpeg.612139

Those cute pink batteries were leftover Samsung-26F batteries, which came with a now discontinued regulated mod which I no longer recall the name of. They shouldn't have even been in the display case with the other batteries that we sold. They were only 5 amp batteries.

Samsung 26F 5.2A 2600mAh Bench Test Results...just not worth it

I wouldn't have been able to live with myself had I let that lady buy those batteries. I took my store manager aside and explained that those are really underpowered batteries to be putting them into a mod, and made a recommendation for a better battery.

Later I asked the store owner if we could remove the 26-F batteries from the display case and explained why, and he agreed with me.

Last edited:

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
I judge the value of a good vape shop by what batteries they carry. Ive seen a lot carry batteries that are well known by more experienced vapers to not be very good. Ive seen AWTs rated for 20-30 amps that I knew full well were only 10A or less rated. Now, not being aware of it is one thing- if I explain the siuation and they remove them from sales, thats acceptable. But when shops dont do anything and continue to sell them to people, thats when I find another shop. My primary shop only carries samsung, sony, lg, ie, actual high performance batteries, and is run by vapers who regularly attend comps and contests. So even though its a bit farther away it is still my preferred shop cause they can answer questions that I have, still being a learner of rebuildables and mechs. I always learn stuff there and direct newer vapers I meet to go there rather than pther shops.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Another incident that happened at my vape shop. Another sale associate that was promoted to shift manager after being a vaper for only a couple of months. She loved to drink tea, and actually put some in her clearomizer to vape it. You can imagine the results. When I asked her why she did that, she said, "I love tea, and I thought it would work."

:facepalm: Uh huh.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I haven't been into a shop in about six years. Sadly, when I first went, I was the most ignorant person in the shop, I knew little to nothing. Then, I found the ECF and found knowledge. As I learned, I knew there was little to nothing that the shop clerk could teach me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I judge the value of a good vape shop by what batteries they carry. Ive seen a lot carry batteries that are well known by more experienced vapers to not be very good. Ive seen AWTs rated for 20-30 amps that I knew full well were only 10A or less rated. Now, not being aware of it is one thing- if I explain the siuation and they remove them from sales, thats acceptable. But when shops dont do anything and continue to sell them to people, thats when I find another shop.
I do the same thing! :thumbs:

My local vape shop was selling only the yellow MXJO batteries. I asked the store owner why he didn't sell Samsung, Sony, or LG batteries. He told me his supplier couldn't get those brands for him, and his supplier gave him a good price on the MXJO's. "They're still a good battery. They're 30 amps."

438383-5542cb2ab8eed379bc851fd39d07e25b.jpg
MXJO Yellow 30A 2900mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a preposterously overrated 10A/2700mAh battery

I asked him if he knew those batteries were over-rated spec wise, and if he was aware of the guy named Battery Mooch who bench tests batteries. He said he didn't, and didn't seem to care one way or another. That attitude tainted my impression of him forever.

This guy owns three vape shops covering three counties in rural Ohio; about the only vape shops in a 30 mile radius. The couple now covering my local shop are long time vapers, very knowledgeable, and read ECF. Unfortunately they're forced to sell what the owner supplies them.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
My local vape shop, the one I take issue with, only carries mxjo. At least the type two.

If I really wanted to spend 10$ a cell though, I could go to the convenience store, and get hg2, or a mile further, and get he2, vtc4, 5, 6a, or 25rs... SMH....

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Yes, vape shop employees are seldom able to help me.

ME: Do you have the new upgraded Vladdin pods in stock yet?
VSE: There are new pods?
ME: Yes, to correct the leaking issues of their early pods. The new ones are frosted to distinguish them from the old ones which were clear.
VSE: Oh yeah. How did you know about the new pods?
ME: I read about them on the Vladdin website.
VSE: [impressed] Well let me see. I think we may be out. Ah! Here is our last box.
ME: Are they the upgraded ones?
VSE: Yeah, they're the good ones.
ME: OK great. Do you have the new upgraded Vladdin units too?
VSE: They have new ones?
ME: Yeah, the original was black and the new ones are brightly colored. I'd like to see the difference myself.
VSE: Hmm. Well I have this blue one.
ME: OK looks nice, I see the corners are machined so they won't poke you. My old one still works though, so I'll take just the pods for now.
ME: [pays]
ME: [Gets home and discovers they sold me old non-frosted pods.]
Disclaimer: Vape Shop Employee was correct to the extent that the ones he sold me were "good ones" that haven't leaked at all, so no harm was done.

Reactions: stols001

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I find myself educating the staff at vape shops I go to all the time. Kinda sad and fulfilling at the same time.

My local B&M carries Samsung 25R, Samsung 30Q, and Samsung 20S. They also have some Ampking 20700 left around, but seem to be switching to Samsung 30t/40t

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
I do the same thing! :thumbs:

My local vape shop was selling only the yellow MXJO batteries. I asked the store owner why he didn't sell Samsung, Sony, or LG batteries. He told me his supplier couldn't get those brands for him, and his supplier gave him a good price on the MXJO's. "They're still a good battery. They're 30 amps."

438383-5542cb2ab8eed379bc851fd39d07e25b.jpg
MXJO Yellow 30A 2900mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a preposterously overrated 10A/2700mAh battery

I asked him if he knew those batteries were over-rated spec wise, and if he was aware of the guy named Battery Mooch who bench tests batteries. He said he didn't, and didn't seem to care one way or another. That attitude tainted my impression of him forever.

This guy owns three vape shops covering three counties in Ohio. The couple now covering my local shop are long time vapers, very knowledgeable, and read ECF. Unfortunately they're forced to sell what the owner supplies them.

When it comes to 26650s, I cant find good batteries that will support my current build safely. So my 26650 tube sits on a shelf now. I have a set of the mxjos. All I could find.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread