Durbin, Boxer, et al. Introduce bill to tax ecigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This "Keep Smoking We Need The Money" bill is the latest heinous attempt by the same wannabe desk murderers to falsely disparage & defraud the cure for smoking to keep the tobacco gravy train rolling.

To Combat Smoking, Lethal Health Risks from Tobacco, Senators Durbin, Blumenthal, Reed, Boxer Introduce Legislation for Tobacco Enforcement Reforms

A similar bill introduced in 2013 died in committee
S.826 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Tobacco Tax and Enforcement Reform Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
its starting to really heat up.
i noticed a lot of the threads in this forum are getting
new post's and updates.
i think maybe vaping is growing faster than they can
heap their dung on it in an attempt to put out the fire.
even the street people here know enough to not try to
bum a smoke from me when they see my PV.
i am seeing more and more posts from newbies lamenting
the fact how they felt so good having quit only to find
out that our own guvent' is out to get em'.
the tide is rising. slowly maybe but, it is rising.
we are going to see some crazy things this coming
year.
the rush is on to get us taxed as fast as they can before its
to late.
:danger:
:2c:
mike

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
the rush is on to get us taxed as fast as they can before its to late.
Hmm... They managed to tax the bejesus out of smoking while smokers were a far greater portion of the population that vapers are ever likely to be.

If they were smart, they'd do it the same way as taxes have traditionally been imposed: Start with a minuscule tax, not enough to get anyone upset, then ratchet it up incrementally.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Hmm... They managed to tax the bejesus out of smoking while smokers were a far greater portion of the population that vapers are ever likely to be.

If they were smart, they'd do it the same way as taxes have traditionally been imposed: Start with a minuscule tax, not enough to get anyone upset, then ratchet it up incrementally.

Last edited:

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA

True, but they (we) were on the wrong end of the health issues and knew it. Instead of getting organized, I guess it was easier to slink away in embarassemnt.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

Yes, but at that time they weren't trying to replace revenue that is being reduced at unexpected rates. They've become so dependent on tobacco tax and MSA revenue that the sudden decrease in cigarette consumption is making their head spin. Now, they either need to cut spending or spin FUD in an attempt to apply massive taxes on vapor products. I'll give you three guesses which direction the federal and most state governments are or will be attempting.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Frog-jump-out-of-boiling-water.png

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Reading the text of the bill, I don't see vapor products specifically called out. From what I can see, this only impacts us if the FDA deems them tobacco products.

More heinous is the requirements for a unique identifying mark (tax sticker I suppose) on every tobacco product sold, along with strict importation restrictions. If the FDA deems, and hardware is included, this could be seriously bad news as it could mean buying a mod or atty from China without the Secretary blessing it with their mark would be a crime. Even if hardware is excluded, and only e-liquid is deemed, juice manufacturers now have additional hurdles to jump as I imagine they'd be subject to this tax sticker treatment as well.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
there is a post in the law and the e-cigarette forum where the poster is lamenting the
fact their bank won't process payments for internet purchase for tobacco derived products
using their debit card.some mentioned credit cards would work.maybe so.what happens
when the deeming reg's arrive? it seems to me they could shut down internet sales
quite easily by adding restrictions to credit cards.
mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
there is a post in the law and the e-cigarette forum where the poster is lamenting thefact their bank won't process payments for internet purchase for tobacco derived products using their debit card.some mentioned credit cards would work.maybe so.what happens when the deeming reg's arrive? it seems to me they could shut down internet sales
quite easily by adding restrictions to credit cards.
mike
I have an offshore internet gambling account that I have had since college.

None of my debits cards will accept a transaction at this point.
And only one of my credit cards still does.

I ain't saying which site, or which card still works.
If they take that away from me, how will I bet on the Padres to win the World Series?
:laugh:

I already know I can't even OPEN a new account on any gambling websites I have tried lately.
They can and most likely will squash US in a similar manner if they feel like it.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
This "Keep Smoking We Need The Money" bill is the latest heinous attempt by the same wannabe desk murderers to falsely disparage & defraud the cure for smoking to keep the tobacco gravy train rolling.

To Combat Smoking, Lethal Health Risks from Tobacco, Senators Durbin, Blumenthal, Reed, Boxer Introduce Legislation for Tobacco Enforcement Reforms

A similar bill introduced in 2013 died in committee
S.826 - 113th Congress (2013-2014): Tobacco Tax and Enforcement Reform Act | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Somebody give me a dime for every email I have sent Mr. Durbin denouncing his cries to save the children and his MSA trust fund. This man just does not want to see the harm he is doing. I bet he has NEVER even opened or was given ANY of my emails on this subject. How do we get through to someone who is stuck in the rotary phone era? I am at my wits end. Mr. Durbin's relentless pursuit of injustice to potential ex-smokers is criminal but he would rather we all smoke cigarettes so he can sit back (like he has for the past 25 years) and collect the money without any work done. Shameful.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Somebody give me a dime for every email I have sent Mr. Durbin denouncing his cries to save the children and his MSA trust fund. This man just does not want to see the harm he is doing. I bet he has NEVER even opened or was given ANY of my emails on this subject. How do we get through to someone who is stuck in the rotary phone era? I am at my wits end. Mr. Durbin's relentless pursuit of injustice to potential ex-smokers is criminal but he would rather we all smoke cigarettes so he can sit back (like he has for the past 25 years) and collect the money without any work done. Shameful.

Run against him in the primaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread