Dvarw MTL RTA & MTL FL (clones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I'm using 80% PG and I have no leaks at all. My only problem is I can't get enough flavor. What size wire, diameter, wraps and wick material work best for high PG liquids???

I love the draw on it too. Perfect for MTL vaping.

I just need more flavor!
I loved the vape on the Dvarw- I thought it was as good as Doggy or better. But too many parts, and didn't think it was worth the extra trouble with extra parts. I use the True MTL now, but this build worked best for me on KM3, Dvarw, Doggy (and I'm a TH junkie using only DIY tobacco flavoring): 28ga 316L SS, 7 wraps, 2mm, 1+mm above air intake. Seems it doesn't matter which tank, that's what works for me. I prefer KGD, but rayon is ok- just a little bit more "sharp" tasting at first. But then, I'm mostly a VG guy. Seems fairly few use high PG anymore. Wish I could help with that.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am now convinced that the larger juice holes are a design flaw which may work with the larger air intake inserts, and for people who vape higher W, restricted DL and especially higher VG. But they are BAD for true MTL!

I am confident that the larger juice holes make the entire atty finicky to wick, and as in my case (low Wattage MTL) prone to flooding if you don't get your wicking "just right". (The definition of "finicky", really). After all, it's just the cotton preventing juice from getting into the chamber. I need to "stuff in" extra cotton so it doesn't gurgle and flood. I am also shamelessly claiming, without evidence, that there is no flooding with the older one with the smaller juice holes.

As to cite someone from FT, "the oval holes were a stupid idea brought on by stupid testers". Sufficient juice flow, even with 70/30 juices is not a problem when you vape at 12-14W and very restricted airflow. The issue with needing larger juice holes only comes up at higher wattages and/or big airflow, way beyond what is MTL territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: TraderX

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I am now convinced that the larger juice holes are a design flaw which may work with the larger air intake inserts, and for people who vape higher W, restricted DL and especially higher VG. But they are BAD for true MTL!

I am confident that the larger juice holes make the entire atty finicky to wick, and as in my case (low Wattage MTL) prone to flooding if you don't get your wicking "just right". (The definition of "finicky", really). After all, it's just the cotton preventing juice from getting into the chamber. I need to "stuff in" extra cotton so it doesn't gurgle and flood. I am also shamelessly claiming, without evidence, that there is no flooding with the older one with the smaller juice holes.

As to cite someone from FT, "the oval holes were a stupid idea brought on by stupid testers". Sufficient juice flow, even with 70/30 juices is not a problem when you vape at 12-14W and very restricted airflow. The issue with needing larger juice holes only comes up at higher wattages and/or big airflow, way beyond what is MTL territory.
My first darvw had the small holes, then I bought 2 more that had the oval holes. I didnt like the ovals I bit and proceeded to purchase 2 juice rings that had the smaller holes. I much prefer the smaller holes myself, at least for my vaping style, mtl. I suppose if your one that wicks the cotton thru holes, the ovals arent to bad, but I prefer my wicks just against the holes...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
Dvarw has been my go to tank for over a year. I started out buying the Coppervape clones with the small juice holes and eventually tried the V2 and the 24mm both with the larger holes. I had a lot of troubles with seeping with the larger holes. Ended up getting rid of all of these and sticking with the Coppervapes. I now have 9 of the coppervapes so I fully endorse them.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think if your vaping 90 or 100vg perhaps the oval holes are better and also if your using really large diameter coils. I use 2.5 mm coils and 70 vg at 23 watts and the little holes are perfect . Perhaps there can be issues with the ovals if someone has a 2 mm coil and like 50vg, then it can be a bit trickier to work. Obviously the smaller the coil, the smaller the tails and at 2mm it doesn't give you as much bulk to put against the ovals. I wasnt getting gurgling or leaking with the ovals I previously had, but it was definitely over wicking and when a coil is over saturated a bit, it seems to actually be harsher and less vapor, so that's why I changed them all to the round holes

Reactions: ian91

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I'm using 80% PG and I have no leaks at all. My only problem is I can't get enough flavor. What size wire, diameter, wraps and wick material work best for high PG liquids???

I just need more flavor!

I have 2 and tried working with them a few times, but I'm same as you, very lacking in flavor for me, which confused me, as some many rant on about how good the flavor is on them, do the same build as all my other atties, but don't get the same flavor from them, which is a shame, apart from the flavor, really liked the draw on them and never leaked.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl

I just need more flavor!
    Rick's do you have the oval or round holes in juice control? Can be a couple things and the first is having the tails pressed up against the juice holes to firmly. They only need to be gently or barely touching, but they do need to be touching. If they are pressed to firmly, flavor loss. Coil at about 1.5ish from air hole. The coil and wick set up shouldn't be any different then other mtl rtas. You can run from 26g to 30g and coils from 2 to 2.7mm. Cotton or rayon both work fine. If you do have the larger oval holes and thin juice, it can be possible, as mentioned before, that it's over wicking, which can cause flavor issues. I had the ovals and found it over wicking, so I changed to smaller holes

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Rick's do you have the oval or round holes in juice control? Can be a couple things and the first is having the tails pressed up against the juice holes to firmly. They only need to be gently or barely touching, but they do need to be touching. If they are pressed to firmly, flavor loss. Coil at about 1.5ish from air hole. The coil and wick set up shouldn't be any different then other mtl rtas. You can run from 26g to 30g and coils from 2 to 2.7mm. Cotton or rayon both work fine. If you do have the larger oval holes and thin juice, it can be possible, as mentioned before, that it's over wicking, which can cause flavor issues. I had the ovals and found it over wicking, so I changed to smaller holes

I have the oval holes. I have tried just having the ends of the wick covering the holes to the sides of the wick covering the holes. I'm just not getting enough flavor. No where near as much as the Doggies. No leak or gurgle at all. I've tried 2, 2.5 and 3mm coils too. But I've only tried 28g kanthal. Maybe I should try 26g next???

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    I have the oval holes. I have tried just having the ends of the wick covering the holes to the sides of the wick covering the holes. I'm just not getting enough flavor. No where near as much as the Doggies. No leak or gurgle at all. I've tried 2, 2.5 and 3mm coils too. But I've only tried 28g kanthal. Maybe I should try 26g next???
    Are you saying you have the very ends of the wick covering the holes? Maybe you dont actually mean that and sorry if I'm getting it wrong, but the actual ends of the wick dont go against the holes. I guess you can do that, but i dont. I actually tuck the wick down to the deck, so my actual tail ends are on the deck, not on holes. Its actually the side of wick that's against the holes and then the tail end is tucked down to the deck. Your probably doing something similiar , but if you just have wick tails going straight to holes, there may not be any wick on the deck itself, which I think you need. I love the doggy, vape one every day and there is no doubt the darvw has just as much flavor, if not more, but it definitely is a bit more tricky to wick. The doggys wick is in constant contact with the juice, they now call that a gta tank but the darvw is totally different in that the tails need to be perfectly placed against those holes, if they are pressed against to firmly and your tails to dense, juice doesn't flow in easily . You may be doing all this correctly and juice is coming in too much, thus oversaturation coil. When I was getting over saturation (before switching to small hole ring) I really wasnt getting less flavor , but was getting less vapor and it was a harsh vape...

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Are you saying you have the very ends of the wick covering the holes? Maybe you dont actually mean that and sorry if I'm getting it wrong, but the actual ends of the wick dont go against the holes. I guess you can do that, but i dont. I actually tuck the wick down to the deck, so my actual tail ends are on the deck, not on holes. Its actually the side of wick that's against the holes and then the tail end is tucked down to the deck. Your probably doing something similiar , but if you just have wick tails going straight to holes, there may not be any wick on the deck itself, which I think you need. I love the doggy, vape one every day and there is no doubt the darvw has just as much flavor, if not more, but it definitely is a bit more tricky to wick. The doggys wick is in constant contact with the juice, they now call that a gta tank but the darvw is totally different in that the tails need to be perfectly placed against those holes, if they are pressed against to firmly and your tails to dense, juice doesn't flow in easily . You may be doing all this correctly and juice is coming in too much, thus oversaturation coil. When I was getting over saturation (before switching to small hole ring) I really wasnt getting less flavor , but was getting less vapor and it was a harsh vape...
    At first I tried this way in the pic,
    dvarwwickingdiagram-jpg.818265

But the flavor wasn't there so I'm trying the ends of the wick covering the holes now. Both ways my wick is touching the bottom of the base also. I'm definitely not getting too much liquid on my coil.

I also tried leaving longer wick tails and having them sit around the base so there is wick all the way around the bottom of the base. That didn't help either.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    At first I tried this way in the pic,
    dvarwwickingdiagram-jpg.818265

But the flavor wasn't there so I'm trying the ends of the wick covering the holes now. Both ways my wick is touching the bottom of the base also. I'm definitely not getting too much liquid on my coil.

I also tried leaving longer wick tails and having them sit around the base so there is wick all the way around the bottom of the base. That didn't help either.
    Yep I do mine like the diagram....if your not getting enough juice to your coil, its got to be the wicking....do you have the steam tuners tank? I thought I seen a pic?

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Yep I do mine like the diagram....if your not getting enough juice to your coil, its got to be the wicking....do you have the steam tuners tank? I thought I seen a pic?

I'm getting enough liquid to the coil... It's just not as flavorful as other tanks.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I'm getting enough liquid to the coil... It's just not as flavorful as other tanks.
    If you want to move on from them, as I did, Rick- try the True MTL. I went from doggies to them (after trying and giving away Dvarw), and think it provides the best, most flavorful mtl vape yet, by a pretty wide margin.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    If you want to move on from them, as I did, Rick- try the True MTL. I went from doggies to them (after trying and giving away Dvarw), and think it provides the best, most flavorful mtl vape yet, by a pretty wide margin.
    I've been watching that one for a while... Might get one someday when I find a good deal on it.

benley73

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 2, 2016
    Maybe try raising your coil a little, I use 3mm id builds,
    So try to get it fit in-between the posts, sits just over the inner tops of the post screws,
    and sits just under the saucer cap, I find this way works for me,
    Trim wick tails slightly higher than juice ring and tuck down sides over juice holes then spread out a little, others try to fill out the deck area, juice up and use a small cut of of coil leg and just slightly poke the wick backwards through juice holes, putting saucer cap on can compress the wicks down a little,
    Everyone has there own method,
    Here's pics of last 2 wicks,
    d40ffd320149d4f9cbf64f734452d544.jpg
    5ee027a4d49a826b4b9f3b57c67ac03e.jpg
    02c87754df54eb1872b1ff812faf02a4.jpg
    a7a300732bc14565bc7725dfe9ec2b04.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Maybe try raising your coil a little, I use 3mm id builds,
    So try to get it fit in-between the posts, sits just over the inner tops of the post screws,
    and sits just under the saucer cap, I find this way works for me,
    Trim wick tails slightly higher than juice ring and tuck down sides over juice holes then spread out a little, others try to fill out the deck area, juice up and use a small cut of of coil leg and just slightly poke the wick backwards through juice holes, putting saucer cap on can compress the wicks down a little,
    Everyone has there own method,
    Here's pics of last 2 wicks,
    d40ffd320149d4f9cbf64f734452d544.jpg
    5ee027a4d49a826b4b9f3b57c67ac03e.jpg
    02c87754df54eb1872b1ff812faf02a4.jpg
    a7a300732bc14565bc7725dfe9ec2b04.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Looks great, thanks. What size wire is that?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread