• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

E-Cig Article on Sun News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Interesting Canadian news article from our helpful :)p) friends at the University of Ottawa.

http:// www. sunnewsnetwork. ca/sunnews/lifestyle/archives/2013/09/20130924-183519.html

Sun News : E-cigs don't help people .... out: Study

OTTAWA — If you’re trying to drop cigarettes, don’t look to their electronic counterparts.

That’s the conclusion from a new literature review by the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

There’s no evidence e-cigarettes can help smokers quit, the review states.

With rising consumer interest in e-cigarettes, Ottawa’s associate medical officer of health Dr. Rosamund Lewis expresses concern decades of work -- resulting in decreased rates of cigarette smoking and smoke-free environments -- is being thrown out the window.

“Our position is that we don’t endorse them at all,” said Lewis.

Last edited by a moderator:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I got a little heated when writing this... oh well.

Re: http://www. sunnewsnetwork. ca/sunnews/lifestyle/archives/2013/09/20130924-183519.html]Sun News : E-cigs don't help people .... out: Study

This article angers me and you should be ashamed.

Somehow, to your editors, "There’s no evidence e-cigarettes can help smokers quit, the review states" is equivalent to saying "E-CIGS DON'T HELP PEOPLE .... OUT"

The reality is that the "evidence" isn't there because there aren't enough studies to say either way, however you've gone ahead and drawn your own conclusions, effectively scaring smokers away from a potentially life saving alternative.

There is a massive amount of anedoctal evidence to suggest THEY DO help people but out. It helped me when all else failed. I personally know 2 other friends that quit smoking because of ecigs. Why do you think it's a billion dollar industry? Because people are buying them instead of cigarettes.

I'm just so incredibly tired of seeing such shoddy journalism in regards to ecigs. You are misrepresenting Heart Institute's findings to the detriment of the populace, the health care system, and your own journalistic integrity.

I've read the publication release from the Ottawa Heart Institute. It says "E-cigarettes have not been fully evaluated for their efficacy as smoking cessation aids."

Do you comprehend what that statement means?

It goes on to state "statistical power was insufficient to conclude e-cigarettes were superior to nicotine patches."

Do you know why that's there? Because in that study, more people quit when using ecigs than patches.

You are outright lying to Canadian citizens. I am simply appalled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I don't have time to read the article but are they saying that using ecigs is basically the same as smoking? Because if they are, then they have a point. I didn't start vaping to quit smoking altogether, I started vaping as a smoking alternative. In that sense, no I haven't "quit".

Nah, all they're saying is that there was no evidence that e-cigs are any better at smoking cessation than market authorized NRTs for quitting. At least that's what I get out of it.

I really wish there was a link to the actual UofO study that Sun article was referring to. I haven't been able to find anything.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No, it's worse than that. They are saying e-cigs don't help people quit smoking, full stop.

The Heart Institute's publication says "E-cigarettes have not been fully evaluated for their efficacy as smoking cessation aids" and "statistical power was insufficient to conclude e-cigarettes were superior to nicotine patches."

To the Sun this was regurgitated as "E-CIGS DON'T HELP PEOPLE .... OUT: STUDY" and "If you’re trying to drop cigarettes, don’t look to their electronic counterparts."

It's disreputable journalism. AND it wasn't even a study. It's a literature review. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table.

http://www.ottawaheart.ca/content_documents/eCigarettes-Release-ENG.pdf

I mean, if I tell you that in my study, more people quit with ecigs than patches, but we didn't have a large enough test group to give a definitive answer, would you interpret that as "ecigs don't help people quit"?

Even the phrase "no evidence" is ultimately disingenuous.

Last edited:

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I don't have time to read the article but are they saying that using ecigs is basically the same as smoking? Because if they are, then they have a point. I didn't start vaping to quit smoking altogether, I started vaping as a smoking alternative. In that sense, no I haven't "quit".

But you have quit smoking. Do you inhale smoke any more?

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
You may not like the man, but when Conrad Black controlled the Canadian newspaper market, this didn't happen.

Black insisted on high degrees of journalism in all of his papers.

This downward spriral into bird cage liners began after he sold them.

Publishers don't care anymore. Reporters regurgitate. They no longer investigate nor do they fact check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread