E-Cig Ban/License Requirements Proposed in Boston!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
From the link provided...

The commission’s proposal would require retailers to obtain a permit to sell them and prohibit their sale to minors. It would also ban use of e-cigarettes in the workplace.

A public hearing on the proposed regulation is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 4, in the Hayes Conference Room on the second floor of commission’s offices at 1010 Massachusetts Ave. Written comments are being accepted by the commission from Sunday, Sept. 11, through Oct. 10. They can be sent to the Boston Public Health Commission, Board Office, Attention: Jamie Martin, Board Secretary, 1010 Massachusetts Ave., 6th floor, Boston, MA 02118, or e-mailed to boardofhealth@bphc.org.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Just received these - two separate regulations. One for sales, and one for indoor use.

View attachment 53341

View attachment 53342

53342-

"3. All retail sales of nicotine delivery products shall be by means of a face-to-face transaction between the retailer and the consumer."

Attempt to ban PV internet sales in Boston?

53341-

"(As Amended on November 10, 2011)"

I guess they already know they'll approve this legislation in October.

"WHEREAS, e-cigarettes and their use in the workplace seriously compromise current laws[/B] and regulations governing indoor smoking bans and have the potential to undermine the positive health and behavioral impacts associated therewith;"

Seriously? How?

Other than those comments, the entire indoor ban of PVs is a joke. They use the 2009 exposed lies and exaggerations from the FDAs dog and pony show as justification. Hopefully, Dr Siegel has some influence in Boston.

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
53342-

"3. All retail sales of nicotine delivery products shall be by means of a face-to-face transaction between the retailer and the consumer."

Attempt to ban PV internet sales in Boston?

53341-

"(As Amended on November 10, 2011)"

I guess they already know they'll approve this legislation in October.

"WHEREAS, e-cigarettes and their use in the workplace seriously compromise current laws[/B] and regulations governing indoor smoking bans and have the potential to undermine the positive health and behavioral impacts associated therewith;"

Seriously? How?

Other than those comments, the entire indoor ban of PVs is a joke. They use the 2009 exposed lies and exaggerations from the FDAs dog and pony show as justification. Hopefully, Dr Siegel has some influence in Boston.

-> Face to face hmm... Web cam! Hi! Can you hear me now?!?
-> I vape at work all day and noone is the wiser. G/L w/ enforcement. The only thing PV's "undermine" are your bottom line sales/sin tax revenues and loss of taxes on NRT sales :glare:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here's the text of Tom Keane's op/ed.

The second-hand truce
Since e-cigarettes aren’t a threat to non-smokers, let people puff away
By Tom Keane September 16, 2011

I’M SITTING at a bar and the guy next to me pulls out a cigarette and starts smoking. I’m inwardly seething, wondering what to do. Ignore it? Complain to the bartender and let him do the dirty work? Or confront the smoker myself? And if I do, then what - words exchanged, perhaps a fight?

And then I realize the smoke isn’t bothering me at all. Indeed, I can’t even smell it.

I lean over.

“What is that you’re smoking?’’

“That,’’ it turns out, is an electronic cigarette. The smoke I was looking at was water vapor - steam - and nothing else. The device itself is a small marvel, containing flavored liquid and some nicotine, and it delivers the taste of a cigarette - and the drug - as the user inhales. To complete the effect, the tip even glows. It is, it occurs to me, an excellent way to bring about a truce between those who smoke and those who don’t - a way for us, once again, to occupy the same places in bars, restaurants, and ball fields.

So why won’t Boston let that happen?

Smoking bans are a relatively recent phenomenon. Boston was one of the early adopters, putting in a full-scale ban - covering almost all workplaces, including restaurants and bars - in 1998. Today, 26 states have bans and the US Centers for Disease Control expects that by 2020 all states will have put one in place. And for good reason: one’s right to smoke stops when it hits someone else’s lungs.

Sometimes the bans have been framed as a workers’ rights matter - tobacco fumes in effect create a hazardous work environment. No one, the argument runs, should have to risk their health merely to wait tables. Other times the bans are a weighing of rights. Some patrons smoke, some don’t, and as the number of nonsmokers has grown it’s easier to make those who do give way to those who don’t (usually by just letting them sneak outside for a moment to get a fix). Either way, the bans are deservedly popular. Even some smokers like them; they may not mind inhaling their own smoke, but don’t want to breath someone else’s.

This has all come at a cost to smokers, however, who find themselves increasingly pushed aside and isolated. One doesn’t have to be an enthusiast of smoking to recognize there is some legitimacy in smokers’ complaints that these various bans are in some ways an infringement of their rights.

But the logic for all of those bans plainly disappears if the smoker poses no harm to the non-smoker. That is what makes a recent proposal by Boston’s Public Health Commission so puzzling. Electronic cigarettes are so new that they are largely unregulated and the Commission is now leaping into the gap. (Nothing, one suspects, so quickens the pulse of a regulator as the prospect of new terrain.) One proposal - to limit sales to adults - makes sense; nicotine is a drug after all. But another proposal - to treat electronic cigarettes the same as the tobacco-stuffed kind - is nonsense. By their very nature, electronic cigarettes pose no hazard to anyone except, of course, the person choosing to use them (and, since electronic cigarettes have none of the cancer-causing tars and other byproducts of tobacco, that hazard is far less). So what is the commission’s rationale?

I suspect it’s just a back-door effort to ban adults from smoking. An outright prohibition would still generate much resistance (and, as we have learned from Prohibition and the war on drugs, would ultimately carry negative consequences far greater than the benefits of any ban). But by sharply limiting where adults can use electronic cigarettes, it is in effect trying to accomplish the same thing.

Granted, we all wish people would live their lives as we wished. Personally, I’d ban motorcycles, skydiving, and mountain climbing - dangerous and worthless pursuits all. But the hallmark of a genuinely free society is that we permit people to engage in those and other risky activities as long as they don’t impinge on others’ freedoms. If electronic cigarettes pose no threat to me - and apparently they don’t - then you should be allowed to sit beside me and puff away.

Tom Keane writes regularly for the Globe.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
That is a great article other than the comment about motorcycles, which I seriously object to. How about replacing the cycle comment with SUVs and diesel engines. I may be in danger while riding, but I'm almost green compared to those two and the potential harm to "the children" with SHE (second hand exhaust).

I'd be glad to demonstrate- I'll gladly stand in an enclosed garage loaded with smokers for an hour if any of the ANTZ would be willing to stand in a similar garage with just one SUV/diesel engine running the same length of time.

Katy

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
Houston, TX
bump lets prevent further damage to our ability to vape. I agree they want face to face so they can tax us because we got away from tobacco and the crazy tax on it they wanna find a new way to tax us.

I sent an email to the Boston Globe ... here is a copy:

toletter@globe.com

dateWed, Sep 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM
subjectSept 16 Editorial by Tom Keane
mailed-bygmail.com

hide details 9:12 AM (6 minutes ago)

Regarding "personal vaporizers" or "e-cigarettes", Tom left out two important things. For some this is the only method they have found (after trying everything from prescriptions to gum, lozenges, etc) that has helped them quit smoking cigarettes. Also, many people, myself included, have worked themselves down to zero nicotine. Therefore, someone using a personal vaporizer may have one with no nicotine at all in it. That leaves them only sucking in some food flavorings mixed with distilled water and glycerin

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Why isn't the health dept concerned about the grease molecules that rise from hot french frys and attach themselves to our skin and lungs? Has anyone ever camped in an RV? You have to wipe sauce off the bdrm and bathroom walls every time you cook spaghetti because the sauce carries in the steam (vapor). Don't even get me started about Spray Pam. We can't travel across town without breathing greasy food mixed with exhaust fumes and factory toxins. At least our eCigs are clean and sometimes thought of as germ killing wonders. Oh, wait... if we kill too many germs then big pharma doesn't sell as many nyquil packs... hmmmm. But, my point is, if they really want healthy clean air, they need to look at reality.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Why isn't the health dept concerned about the grease molecules that rise from hot french frys and attach themselves to our skin and lungs? Has anyone ever camped in an RV? You have to wipe sauce off the bdrm and bathroom walls every time you cook spaghetti because the sauce carries in the steam (vapor). Don't even get me started about Spray Pam. We can't travel across town without breathing greasy food mixed with exhaust fumes and factory toxins. At least our eCigs are clean and sometimes thought of as germ killing wonders. Oh, wait... if we kill too many germs then big pharma doesn't sell as many nyquil packs... hmmmm. But, my point is, if they really want healthy clean air, they need to look at reality.

Hee hee! Here, in the Peoples Republic of Evanston, there are restaurants featuring mesquite grilling that deliberately vent some of the cooking smoke back into the restaurant. Of course, all restaurants in the PRE and the Peoples Republic of Illinois are non-smoking -- cigarettes, that is. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread