Travel and Vaping E-Cig Banned on American Airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretsquirrl

May 6, 2009
New York
devices that are not allowed to be activated at any time are those, including e-cigarettes, that could cause damage to equipment or diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft.

Can be found here;
Onboard Technology

They've used that excuse before. It used to be old 90s' gameboys', but what the airlines don't take into consideration is that the newer devices usually have technology within them to prevent any kind of interference with aircraft functionality.

Sounds to me like a cheap cop out.

I seriously hope this isn't amongst new industry trends, I was hoping to one day fly(definitely not on American Airlines anyway, their aircrafts suck IMHO and the stewardesses are both mean & ugly) to Japan.

This subject was relevant to my interest; So I dug this up as well:

"As of this post, the airlines that have made definite decisions on the electronic cigarette and DO NOT allow their use while inflight are Virgin Atlantic, TUI and Thomson, and Thomas Crook (TCX). TUI and TCX are British airlines who primarily fly within Europe. None of these three have any mention of electric or electronic cigarettes anywhere on their websites. However, their cabin crew members have said they have been given the no-go. Please note that as of 1/10/2009, Continental has included the e-cig on non-usable in flight items."

According to: http://www.e-cig.org/2008/12/17/using-your-electronic-cigarette-on-an-airplane/

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
They've used that excuse before. It used to be old 90s' gameboys', but what the airlines don't take into consideration is that the newer devices usually have technology within them to prevent any kind of interference with aircraft functionality. Sounds to me like a cheap cop out.

If any electronic device had a chance of making an aircraft fall out of the sky, I would be strictly banned. Yeah, it's a cop out, but that's their right.

BiteMe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
Stanwood, WA
Well... I can't speak for American Airlines, but I can address the claim that they are making.
Please let me explain.
I work in Experimental Flight Test at the Boeing Company. I've been here in Flight Test for 22 years, and in that time I've seen quite a few items that could potentially "alter the form or function of the aircraft". These items are usually things like hair dryers, electronic games, radios, computers, cell phones and the like. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this type of regulation, is the fact that the atomizer of the e-cig produces heat. Where the airlines are concerned, they don't care if the heat source is contained or not. (Like a hair dryer) The folks that write these regulations have NOTHING to do with the manufacturer (Boeing), but apparently think of the absolute worst case scenario and then invent some kind of restriction to control the use of these items on their planes. Quite possibly, these people have never even seen an e-cig except in photos.
I asked one of our liason engineers about this and he just laughed when I showed him American's regulation. He agreed that nothing could PROBABLY ever happen, but given the right set of circumstances, somebody might be able to melt a panel or something.
(Imagine if you sat on your manual switch and fried your battery and atty into oblivion)
Probably never happen, but in somebody's fertile mind, it could.
By the way... when I fly with one of the planes that we are testing, I bring my Dura. You can take that for what it's worth.
Hope this helps.

Chris

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
If any electronic device had a chance of making an aircraft fall out of the sky, I would be strictly banned. Yeah, it's a cop out, but that's their right.
They should not LIE about it. Say NO but don't make some lame excuse/lie. If e-cigs did any "damage" or cause any problems, there would be planes falling out the sky all over the dang place. :p
We should all write to them saying:
THANK YOU, I was flying last week and your flight steward let me use my e-cig all the way, it was fantastic!
If they can lie so can we - right? :D

secretsquirrl

May 6, 2009
New York
We should all write to them saying:
THANK YOU, I was flying last week and your flight steward let me use my e-cig all the way, it was fantastic!
If they can lie so can we - right? :D

It wouldn't exactly be a lie, over at the "public" section of the forum. There's been known and documented cases of people using the e-cig on the planes. It's no worse than snakes on a plane cellphones on a plane.

Jim Davis said:

I understand and agree. It's their plane they can do whatever they want to. But if I can find an airline that accommodates the use of e-cigs, I'd definitely switch airlines.

secretsquirrl

May 6, 2009
New York
I've vaped on a few planes, but never american.

Exactly, and personally speaking I'm not some diehard nicotine addict. I can understand if they won't allow vaping in flights under x hrs, but when it comes to international flights(15-18 hrs) it just seems more practical.

I've been to Narita airport in Japan for a connecting flight, they accommodate smokers with a small apartment sized room with air filters, but it's like a mass exodus when flights are coming & going. Those rooms are almost always full.

calligal

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
California
Couldn't you start up you computer and use a passthrough? I would think it is the electronic sensors built into the battery that causes the problem.

I'd love to be able to vap on long flights but until tests are done to show what is in the vapor which escapes before inhaling, and after inhaling I don't see that happening.

When I went to Europe by the end of the flight I was getting really edgy and off the plane I was like "Big deal Paris, now find me a smoking section or get me out of this airport NOW! Of course the map we had of the airport was messed up and it took forever to find the smoking area. Paris was great though.

If we can get the FDA to leave e-cigs alone our next step will be to get vaping allowed or at least approved areas in airports. Our own little glass boxes for us right next to the smokers boxes.

secretsquirrl

May 6, 2009
New York
I wonder if the vapor from an E-cig will set off a smoke alarm. I mean those airplane toilets aren't very comfortable, but I feel a bad case of the vapors coming on. :D

It's been discussed here:

Smoke Alarms & Do e-cigs set off smoke detectors?

I don't blame you for not seeing them. It's several pages back.

To save you the time of reading through them, the conclusion was that it depends on how sensitive the alarms/detectors are, and what brand/type they are. Although various people have mentioned that they've managed to vape in bathrooms undetected. Whether or not it's worth it, is up to the individual.

Personally, I think it's kind of gross. I mean, we're talking about really tiny bathrooms, unless your fortunate enough to be in the business or first-class section of the plane it's still quite a confined area.

Plus you've got to deal with all the sex juice(Mile High Clubbers) & poopie fumes that are flowing in there. Okay, maybe I'm being a little paranoid. Still I try my best to get in and get out a.s.a.p when it comes to airplane/aircraft latrines.

Last edited:

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
It's been discussed here:

Smoke Alarms & Do e-cigs set off smoke detectors?

I don't blame you for not seeing them. It's several pages back.

To save you the time of reading through them, the conclusion was that it depends on how sensitive the alarms/detectors are, and what brand/type they are. Although various people have mentioned that they've managed to vape in bathrooms undetected. Whether or not it's worth it, is up to the individual.

Personally, I think it's kind of gross. I mean, we're talking about really tiny bathrooms, unless your fortunate enough to be in the business or first-class section of the plane it's still quite a confined area.

Plus you've got to deal with all the sex juice(Mile High Clubbers) & poopie fumes that are flowing in there. Okay, maybe I'm being a little paranoid. Still I try my best to get in and get out a.s.a.p when it comes to airplane/aircraft latrines.

I carry 2 mini bottles of juice. My regular juice produces clouds of vapor. My second bottle does not. I use the low vapor / high nic for the plane ride. One or two hits blown down the sink drain works for me, every two hours or so.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
could potentially "alter the form or function of the aircraft". These items are usually things like hair dryers, electronic games, radios, computers, cell phones and the like.

Great....now it will be: "Take this plane to Cuba or I swear to God I'll turn it on high!"

Hair_Dryer.jpg

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Your link is to a Blog. I've searched Continental's site, and can't seem to see any mention of it. Since CO is my preferred airline, I'd like to see it first hand. Any one know 100%?

Ahh....my alma mater...if you can call a workplace that! LOL

I have a friend who's a CSR for them and I've been telling her about e-cigs (she, herself just quit analogs 2 months ago with the dreaded drugxx). I mentioned to her that I saw somewhere on here that TSA has approved e-cgs to go through & asked about the company's policy. She said that she hasn't heard of CO banning them like some of the other airlines....nor had she ever heard of them until I told her LOL

Given how passengers can be, I'd just do the sneaky on it....after telling those in your seating area what you are doing; incase someone equates you to a shoe bomber or something....

And yes; make sure that if you are taking juice, that it is in the quart ziploc bag, in 3oz or less bottles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread