Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As Reported here by the BBC:

"Regulators want the government to restrict their sale to over 18s and require them to carry warning labels....tests by trading standards officers found the concentration of nicotine in some products would normally need the label "highly toxic" and they are already banned in Australia."

The report states that "the Anti-smoking group Ash has also pointed out that many of the products are made in China, where it says quality control is "not very good".

I would agree that mandatory label warnings and an age restrictions should be employed. It will be interesting to see in the UK if in fact the Ministers do act, and if they act, what will be the full scope of the actions they take––Sun

See BBC NEWS | UK | Concern over 'e-cigarette' sales

Last edited:

Jhamer

Mar 6, 2009
Alberta,Canada
I'm assuming this is what it will come down to in Canada. Cigarettes are sold to over 18's and require a warning label and picture on the package and they have been proven to cause cancer and kill people, unless they make cigarettes illegal to consume here then you would think that as long as the e-cigs are properly marked then they should be fine.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Wondered how long England would skate along without the concerns now surfaced in America and Canada.

But the concerns are valid, and can be addressed. Every single concern mentioned in this article has been raised in this forum, with suggestions to quiet the concern. The time has come for manufacturers to address them.

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Agreed on warning labels and minimum age restrictions.

Yes, the liquid in these bottles and carts is highly toxic, but that quote makes it seem as though by smoking an e-cig, one ingests ALL of the nicotine in the cart in one sitting. While we don't exactly know how much nicotine we are getting, many of us believe it is higher than normal cigarettes, myself included. And that's fine :)

But we know we're not getting ALL of the nicotine within a cart in one vaping session. Unless I'm just misinformed, this tidbit of information seems to be missing.

The headline is unfortunate. It gives the impression that e-cigs in general are highly toxic, when in fact I think they just mean the concentration of nicotine inside the cartridge. There is a big difference in my opinion.

The link did not work for me so I could not read the whole story.

-Cal

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As Reported here by the BBC:

"Regulators want the government to restrict their sale to over 18s and require them to carry warning labels....tests by trading standards officers found the concentration of nicotine in some products would normally need the label "highly toxic" and they are already banned in Australia."

The report states that "the Anti-smoking group Ash has also pointed out that many of the products are made in China, where it says quality control is "not very good".

I would agree that mandatory label warnings and an age restrictions should be employed. It will be interesting to see in the UK if in fact the Ministers do act, and if they act, what will be the full scope of the actions they take––Sun

See BBC NEWS | UK | Concern over 'e-cigarette' sales

The Link is fixed

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Link should be:
http : // news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7941021.stm

(ecigs) are now appearing more often in street markets and retailers

I heard Boots may start selling these, but I've asked some local tobacconists if they'd been approached about selling ecigs,
& got replies like:
'nah, they're gonna get banned, & they contain more toxic chemicals than real cigarettes"

Ignorance & bad/dis-information seems to be rife.

No human trials, what are we then, chopped liver ?

Johnsky

Mar 9, 2009
I actually found a version of the e-cig sold on Costco's website. Overpriced though, and looked cheaply made, but there nevertheless.

I agree on the warning labels. They should be there regardless to promote safe handling during re-fill. And over 18 rules are a no-brainer. I wouldn't even sell half of the shelved things you find in a drug store to a minor.

We're not trying to get children smoking, we're trying to get smokers away from cigarettes and onto something that they're accustomed to which won't kill them.

That's why they look like cigarettes, the other nicotine alternatives fail because they have nothing in common with cigarettes. Smokers can't relate to them, and continue desiring cigarettes. With e-cigs, the smokers can think they're smoking, and not harm themselves or anyone else around them. (Plus it's one heck of a fix for fire-hazards.)

The flavors are there because those who haven't quit are probably smoking because they enjoy it, and want to continue enjoying it.

E-cig backers and non-smokers have one thing in common : We're both against cigarettes.
The difference is, we're pushing for a way to appease everyone and keep everyone safe, in a sane and effective manor... everyone else is just looking for something to direct their anger at. In their eyes, if it looks phallic, it must be evil.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
the big problem with the article as i see it is the implication people are buying them to "cheat the law".. or in other words get round the UK smoking ban...

to me this is a false reason for why people are buying them.. its also a negative reason..

its a shame the BBC believes and reports the antes..

i smoke them to avoid using the known to be and widely promoted as such cancer causing proven killer alternative..

cheating the law is one thing... attempting to save or prolong your life is another..

its a shame the BBC do not tell the real story..

one alternative is a proven killer... there is absolutely no evidence to prove the other alternative when used in a sensible manner is not safe.. simply some unfounded speculation..

and to many people it is one or the other.. the proven killer way or the not yet proven safe way.. in a sane world the vote can only go one way..

i rest my case..

trog

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
the big problem with the article as i see it is the implication people are buying them to "cheat the law".. or in other words get round the UK smoking ban...

to me this is false reason for why people are buying them.. its also a negative reason..

its a shame the BBC belives the antes..

i smoke them to avoid using the known to be and widely promoted as such cancer causing proven killer alternative..

cheating the law is one thing... attempting to save or prolong your life is another..

its a shame the BBC dont tell the real story..

one alternative is a proven killer... there is absolutely no evidence to prove the other alternative when used in a sensible manner alternative is not safe.. simply some unfounded speculation..

and to many people it is one or the other.. the proven killer way or the not yet proven safe way.. in a sane world the vote can only go one way..

trog

So true--the Media looks at it from downside up--instead of considering that use users are trying to stay off what is know to kill, they only zero in on all the nonsense--but that is in part to be blamed on a few shady Vendors out there making unfounded claims and "Stick it in your face" type advertising that tells people to go into no smoking areas and have a good time--ignorance at its finest---Sun

Guardston

Mar 6, 2009
Florida
E-cig backers and non-smokers have one thing in common : We're both against cigarettes.
The difference is, we're pushing for a way to appease everyone and keep everyone safe, in a sane and effective manor... everyone else is just looking for something to direct their anger at. In their eyes, if it looks phallic, it must be evil.

And the people said, "AMEN!".

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
I actually found a version of the e-cig sold on Costco's website. Overpriced though, and looked cheaply made, but there nevertheless.

I agree on the warning labels. They should be there regardless to promote safe handling during re-fill. And over 18 rules are a no-brainer. I wouldn't even sell half of the shelved things you find in a drug store to a minor.

We're not trying to get children smoking, we're trying to get smokers away from cigarettes and onto something that they're accustomed to which won't kill them.

That's why they look like cigarettes, the other nicotine alternatives fail because they have nothing in common with cigarettes. Smokers can't relate to them, and continue desiring cigarettes. With e-cigs, the smokers can think they're smoking, and not harm themselves or anyone else around them. (Plus it's one heck of a fix for fire-hazards.)

The flavors are there because those who haven't quit are probably smoking because they enjoy it, and want to continue enjoying it.

Great post.

The last part about what we have in common with non/anti smokers should be part of our campaign.

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
I totally agree that hese things should not be sold to under 18s. I'm also aware that the liquid is toxic. We all know not to drink this stuff. The bottles could and should be labeled better. I'd like to know more about what is in this liquid, what the long term effects could be.

The thing is i knew the dangers of analogs and what they could do to my health and still smoked for 30 years. Mainly because i didn't have the willpower not to smoke.

Even with all the unknowns it is not going to stop me vaping. If and when regulation comes i will hopefully be vaping 0nic anyway.

Till then let i'm letting the vapor roll.

Happy vaping !!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
If they're restricted to people aged 18 and over, which I agree they should be, then this may be the end of mail ordering in Canada. It's already illegal to buy tobacco and alcohol on-line here.

BlueSun--Good point --It may very well shut down mailorder just like the tobacco and alcohol--Sun

Johnsky

Mar 9, 2009
If they're restricted to people aged 18 and over, which I agree they should be, then this may be the end of mail ordering in Canada. It's already illegal to buy tobacco and alcohol on-line here.

Hmm, that does present a valid point.

Of course, it won't be illegal to order them in bulk for the purposes of re-sale.

Once Health Canada, or our Food and Drug center (if the case gets handed over instead) clears this for sale and figures out which restrictions they want to impose, we will be forced to purchase these at physical points of sale.

However, another point to bring up along those lines... it's not illegal to purchase a tobacco pipe online, just the tobacco.
Perhaps we can still purchase the e-cig online, but the vaporjuice we'll have to acquire in person.

We won't know until HC finishes their work. I can only hope they're sane enough to realize how many lives this will save in Cancer avoidance alone.
Not to mention, how many fires it will have prevented. I can't count the number of trash bins I've seen set ablaze by someones careless disposal of a lit cigarette.

Oh, and thanks you guys for the comments on my last post.
Glad we're all on the same page here.

One thing we need work on is damage control. One or two people are using this to get in the face of people they know will be angry (see : recent Toronto Star article : I called it "the author should be punched in the nose")... this isn't who we are.

These idiots are giving us a bad name. We're pushing these for the sake of saving peoples health by providing a healthier alternative, not so that we can "Puff in someones face".

The sooner people realize these things aren't a threat, and are actually a solution, the sooner we can get them spread around so we can eliminate carcinogenic smoke and second hand smoke entirely.

(Maybe next we should work on vaporizing the exhaust of cars, lol.)

You guys are quickly turning me into an darned activist again.
Always loved a good protest, it's especially fun when you play both sides.

Last edited:

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Nothing new essentially, this is what prompted Jason to pull all his e-liquids and repackage them. I think all my main suppliers are already compliant with childproof thingamabobs anyway.

Shame the BBC has to introduce a negative slant though, having been quite positive about e-cigs in the past.

Anyway, good to see Jason in the news again, he's quite the big player in the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread