E-cig evolution to eGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I posted two videos of almost 10 minutes apiece on the evolution of electronic smoking, from the first e-pipe to the new eGo. This is a personal journey, to be sure, but many have followed the same journey.

The videos cover multiple devices and focus in the end on the eGo, which has one minor problem and one serious one.

YouTube - How to Save Money on Your Tobacco Habit - The Electronic Cigarette, Part 1

and

YouTube - How to Save Money on Your Tobacco Habit - the electronic cigarette, Part 2

kgwolf

Jan 16, 2010
Wisconsin USA
Thank you Bob, excellent video. If I may, I would like to offer a newbie perspective regarding the EGO.

I received mine last week on 1/21. Prior history, pack a day for 42 years, Winston regulars for the last decade. I ordered after lurking here for 3 weeks or so and was committed to the concept of an e-cig or eni before receiving it. The desire was to have something as close as possible to an actual smoke.

The positives:
1. Quality - the unit seems well made with smooth threading, good fit & feel, solid switch.
2. Produces a lot of vapor using ry4 and Janty's Tobacco mix. Also, tons of vapor using the ECO Pure I tried yesterday.
3. Battery life - going about 2 days on a battery (I do consider that to be the equivalent to a pack a day of Winstons since that amount of using seems to be completely satisfying).
4. Battery recharge signal - the light flashes multiple times and that's it, no question.
5. Nicotine delivery - yes it does deliver. Used the 25mg juice the first night while in a bar playing trivia. Puffed it like using a regular cig and after 2 hours, had a big time buzz. (Have learned since that I don't need to puff it for 4 or 5 minutes at a crack to be satisfied.)
6. Haven't touched a cig since receiving the EGO.

Negatives:
1. After watching your vid, worried about choking on the end piece.
2. Possible newbie learning curve, but I can't seem to get a feel for when to change or refill the cartridge. Vapor's great after refill, then tapers off, I'll pull the cartridge and take the wicking material out and it's not dry or completely white so possibly wasting juice.
3. Wanted to buy extra atomizers (paranoid about having it fail and being tempted to grab a cig) but Janty's website doesn't seem to have replacements available yet.
4. Cartridge that comes with the set does not have wicking material in it.

Summary:
Very happy with it as my first e-cig purchase. Janty's shipping was prompt, the unit arrived well packaged and I've already ordered a second one for my better half. I figured that going down this road would involve purchasing a few different units over time but compared to the cost of Winstons, it's a pittance.

A big thank you to all of the people on this forum who took the time to review and discuss the different units and kept me from buying an e-cig at the nearest mall kiosk.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
I've enjoyed all your videos, TBob, and these are no exception. I wanted to ask about your experience with the Kissbox. You said in the video you've been using the Kissbox for about a year...are you saying that the battery and atomizer have lasted a year??? Or are you just saying you've been using that brand for that long? I've never used a Janty product, but I just might have to start LOL.

St_Francisco

ECF Veteran
3. Wanted to buy extra atomizers (paranoid about having it fail and being tempted to grab a cig) but Janty's website doesn't seem to have replacements available yet.

They do actually.

It is a 510 atomizer...you can buy Joye 510 atomizers from a variety of vendors. On the Janty website, you're looking for the Dura/eGo atomizer, or the Dura/eGo TAWA atomizer. The regular atomizer is $15.95, and comes with a six month warranty. The TAWA (Throw-away) atomizer is only $7.95, but offers no warranty.

St_Francisco

ECF Veteran
Very nice video, but I would like to comment on a few areas.

1. Your complaints about the battery are the same as mine were intially...they're not replaceable. Once the battery no longer holds a charge, you simply have to buy a new unit. But when you do a cost analysis, this is a non-issue.

Let's assume that the average smoker smokes one pack per day. With the eGo, he uses 1ml of liquid per day, and 1 battery per day before needing to recharge. Janty claims 200 recharges per battery, so that's 400 days of use from the eGo set. That works out to a ridiculous cost of 21 cents per day! Add in the average price of one dollar per ml of liquid, and you're looking at a daily cost of $1.21/day as opposed to the traditional cost of 5-6 dollars per day using analog cigarettes. Looking at it in this perspective, the Janty is worth it's weight in gold.

It should also be noted that recently, Janty has announced that it will sell individual pieces for the eGo. So, individual batteries and atty covers are on the way, as well as two new colors: silver and white. These are already listed on the website, although currently not in stock. The atty cover will run $8.99, and individual batteries will run $24.99, or you can get a 5-pack of batteries for $81.99, which offers a discount of $42.96...so that's essentially a buy 3 get 2 free deal.

Now, if you buy a five-pack of batteries at $81.99, and get the average of 1,000 recharges out of these five batteries, you're looking at a daily cost of...get ready...TWO CENTS PER DAY. That is simply ridiculous. The eGo is simultaneously one of the best performing, best looking, and most cost effective units on the market, without a doubt.

2. 100% agreed on the length of the cable...in fact, I mentioned this as well in my youtube review. I don't know why in the world it's so short. It's difficult to set it on anything when you plug it into an outlet, or the computer.

3. That's very interesting about the cartridges...but I find it important to note that in one month of using this product, I have (fortunately) not experienced the same thing. In fact, I didn't even know they came apart like that! You must be sucking on these things like a Hoover vacuum! ;-)

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Interesting how different folks have different perspectives.

I'd prefer it if the USB charger didn't have any cable at all (like the small universal chargers). If I want to put it somewhere else, any USB extender cable will work. In other words, it's easier for me to make the cable longer.. hard to make it shorter (cleanly). With little or no cable I can just throw the unit in my pocket or PV "murse".

Like TB, I don't like round cartridges.. and certainly don't want them coming apart in my mouth. Luckily, the 901 whistle-tip carts fit perfectly on the eGo.. just like they do on any other 510 piece of equipment.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Just got home from a lecture at a college and saw the remarks. I'll try to answer a few questions:

Nice work, StFrancisco. If I know I'll be reviewing a product, I make it a point not to watch or read other's opinions about it until I've done my own review. But I'll watch your review now. I also made sure I used for at least two weeks so I didn't gush the newbie happy talk often heard about a new product. Glad you, too, found points to criticize. There is, after all, no perfect e-cig. And thanks for the info on the batteries being added to Janty's inventory. I assume that has happened in the two weeks since I began using my eGo.

My Kissbox has been in use since July 2008 -- but not with the original parts still in use. No way. I use up an atomizer about every four months. A battery lasts about six months. I refill carts about six times each. The only original part on the Kissbox shown in the video is a badly chipped manual switch. I still have a badly chipped auto switch that is original, used with my USB cord. I've replaced one manual switch that failed.

There was a massive, now closed, thread called "So, are we getting it" in the Health section, where details of the whole-tobacco-alkaloid (WTA) liquid are spelled out. WTA liquid is NOT, repeat not, available for purchase. It is one of several products I have tested that are not on the market yet. I hope someone picks up the idea and produces WTA liquid. The lack of tobacco-specific alkaloids is the major reason why NRT products have a 6% success, 94% FAILURE rate, in my opinion and the opinion of many others who contributed to that thread. It is not just nicotine that smokers are addicted to. And until the addictive and psychoactive chemicals in tobacco can be found in vapor, we will enjoy less than a hundred percent success rate for those seeking to replace cigarette smoking.

I, too, noted that my 901 carts - with the whistle tip - fit the eGo and those will be the ones I use in the future. The first time it happened, I coughed and spit the piece out on the bed, as my wife watched incredulously. She also was present when it happened two more times. Yep, she had a hissy-fit about me using it with those carts. She's not ready to be a widow.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Just a continuation of the cartridge discussion.

I have had the end caps pop off of genuine SLB 901 whistle tip carts (D-shaped reservoir) before. As a matter of fact, it happens quite often.

As a practice now, whenever I pull out a new 901 cartridge (which is kinda rare, I use them forever), I "glaze" the tip with my old Bic lighter... which now serves no other purpose for me. I wave the Bic flame underneath the tip of the 901 until I can just see the sharp plastic edges start to "gel". That not only fuses the insert into the tip, it also smooths out the rough and sharp edges on the mouth end.

$.02

jdw650

Dec 29, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Just wanted to let everyone know that Totally wicked e-liquid sales the e-go as the tornado. They have all three colors, white, platinum, and black. They also sale all the parts for the e-go. Something intresting that im looking to order is a mega atomizer with mega cartridges. These are longer sized 510 atty's and longer carts. I haven't used the 901's yet, but the megas hold just about twice the juice as the regular 510's. I haven't compared the prices yet but from what i understand they are a slightly cheaper than Janty. They also have an adapter that you can screw onto the ego batteries, that allow you to use any 510 charger. Check it out if your intrested. totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/tornado-e-ni-accessories-products.html
Sorry im new to the this site so i cant post urls yet.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Guys...I think he's referring to alkaloids being a component of tobacco smoke that e-juice does not have and therefore vaping is close to emulating the smoking experience but not 100% the same. I have no knowledge of the content of cigarette smoke alkaloids but do know the sensation he's referring to.

Funny thing is, for me e-cigs win over analogs because they appeal to my love of gadgets, the obvious health benefits, I don't reak of cigs all the time, and also because I am sitting here vaping a 510 filled with RedBull flavor instead of a burnt weed! I truly don't feel like I'm missing anything by switching to vaping.

This is a good honest review TropicalBob, keep up the good work. I ordered a TW Tornado (same as eGo) tonight to complement my 510's that I've grown to enjoy. I have been wondering about a carrying case as well, was thinking about a sunglasses case that I can mod some foam in to hold the device and carts. Will have to look around at wallyword to find something, a cigar case wouldn't go over well at work but great thinking! Can't wait until spring to be in a golf cart playing 18 with it instead of one of the many tobacco products I used to use.

The vaping history and your experience was great to hear as well, especially for someone like me only a few weeks in but now totally off all tobacco thanks to the products.

Knifemaker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Central Texas
This will be my first post.

Today marks 1 month for me with out analogues. I've been using 510s' s far.

Last week (Thursday), I ordered the Totally Wicked Tornado, and it finally arrived today. WooHoo!!! No more changing bat's every Hour of so. Better vapor, and not bad looking at all!;)

Seems well made. Switch a little so-so. White light a little bright. (Could have been blue!)

Ordered a 5 pack of Bat's and a mega Atty along with a couple of boxes of carts and adapters for the charger.

So far, so good.

I have to teach a class on Knife Making Techniques close to Austin Tx. In a couple of weeks, and of course there is no smoking. We'll see. LOL:D

I didn't want to have to worry about the 510's bat's going dry on me. Looks like the EGO Bat's are going to do just fine! :cool:

About the alkaloids in the future. With or without the bad chem's in actual tobacco? Are they in there, or safer like what we are using now?

Mike

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
Interesting video history, enjoyed it.

The first thing I do with a round 510 cart, the same cart as the ego, is to remove the two disc that TB tried to swallow. It allows the juice to drain back to the atty. The second disc narrows the hole and keeps the juice trapped. I like the top disc removed because it makes it soft. Kind of soft, more like an analog

Working theory is the carts are designed for a factory fill and not intended to be used like most of us do. We over fill them and suck the juice to the top. A drop or two makes the difference. With the factory fill it acts as a baffle. With the self filled/dripped it acts as a trap and results in a mouth full of juice.

After doing this I have to massively flood the atty to get juice in my mouth.

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Regarding the carts, even extra carts do that, if they are of the round variety. It's a design problem, and one of the reasons I prefer the flat ones, too. It can happen with those, but as they are harder, they cannot so easily "shoot" that bit into your mouth.

OTOH, I do use up the round carts I have, because I hate letting things go to waste. One does get used to bite not so hard that the top pops off. Nevertheless, when I order carts, they are flat or super-flat. No doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread