E-cig vs. Cigarette Infograph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I am thinking that an infograph comparing the electronic cigarette to a cigarette would help to spread the word to the masses. There's a site called Online Schools that seems to be making infographs pretty regularly. I've tried to find a contact link for their but haven't had any luck. If we can't get them to make one for us, we may want to think about compiling our own and spreading it around.

Here is their "Facts About Cigarettes" infograph.
cigj.jpg

Last edited:

Scorched

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Very intresting image, it makes me very glad I quit smoking. There is one thing I disagree with, although: the image of a ........ leaf under "drug related deaths". This gives the reader the idea that ........ kills people. There are no reported ........ caused deaths in all of history.

I am curious about one more thing; 97 Billion in "Lost Productivity"; what is that supposed to mean, people are taking smoke breaks instead of doing their work? That's what designated break times are for, so I don't understand how that could be.

I do think this is a fantastic idea. It's very simple to read, percise and to the point. Combining images with a few simple words creates a powerful image that definetly gets the idea through. That's what we e-smokers need; something powerful, pursuasive and yet full of simplicity.

Some information that could be included on the infograph: Number of reported deaths from PV's, Number of carconigens/chemicals compared to tobacco, average lifespan, cost comparison and potental money saved from prevented medical complications. Pretty much everything that is included with this one, just converted for a different thing. Give me a few minutes in Microsoft paint and I could whip one up haha.

Last edited:

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
That's not too bad, although we would have to get the facts straight before releasing it and permission from Online Schools to use their graphics.

The quotes about people under 18 who vape is way off. Maybe change it to age range or those who were not smokers and use the results from the CASAA poll once its complete.

I think an infograph along these lines may turn a few heads. Anyone know a program to easily design one of these?

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Seeing the pot leaf on there made me think that the creator was uninformed and would make me questions the other data being provided. I would suggest changing it to an image representing a dangerous illegal drug such as a needle or pill. Those are also generic images that don't necessarily target one drug.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Treece created a chart that was used very effectively at the Illinois Assembly Health Committee meeting where vapers and vendors testified. The chart compares the TSNA (carcinogen) levels of various nicotine products. It was based on information in one of Michael Siegel's blogs. I took the liberty of dressing it up a bit, putting in the footnotes, and adding a link to the blog. Here is a PDF version (attachment).

The document posted on the CASAA Documents page has had the spacing tweaked a little.

http://www.casaa.org/files/TSNA_Chart(1).pdf

Attachments

• TSNA_Chart.pdf
    18.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am curious about one more thing; 97 Billion in "Lost Productivity"; what is that supposed to mean, people are taking smoke breaks instead of doing their work? That's what designated break times are for, so I don't understand how that could be.

Not every job offers designated break times. My job is one of them. I work in a small shop where I'm usually the only one on staff. My cigarette break is whenever the customers clear out. I can tell you I've wasted my fair share of time on cigarettes at work.

For some people, a designated cigarette break can end up being pretty long. Imagine you're a smoker on the 17th floor of an office building in the city. You've got to leave your office, go down an elevator, maybe walk 100 feet away from the building, smoke your ...., and then go back in, up the elevator, back to your office... A five minute .... break ends up taking fifteen minutes or more. If you are a salaried worker, that amount of time adds up. Say 15 minutes twice a day. That's 2.5 hours every week, in a year that's 130 hours - more than three full weeks. Sheesh, I don't get that much vacation time in a year!

I'd also add that when you're stressing for a ...., your performance will suffer, too. It's harder to estimate how much ground you lose for that, but it's still significant.

I know I'm more productive with my vape. If I had a busy night when I was a smoker, and couldn't get out for a ...., it could ruin my whole evening. Now that I vape, I don't stress like that. My mind is more focused on work, rather than the next cigarette.

YMMV.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Critiques aside,

Bravo, Posidon, Bravo.

You put a lot of work into an impressive diagram.

/salute

This is not my graphic, I found it on onlineschools.org, which has many other similar infographs. I would not have included the illegal drug reference in there. But I am looking into creating one along the lines of this one.

If you have any ideas that would work in a format like this, post them here with a link as reference. I am not a graphic designer though. If you know an easy way to make one of these let me know.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
JustJulie created a chart that was used very effectively at the Illinois Assembly Health Committee meeting where vapers and vendors testified. The chart compares the TSNA (carcinogen) levels of various nicotine products. It was based on information in one of Michael Siegel's blogs. I took the liberty of dressing it up a bit, putting in the footnotes, and adding a link to the blog. Here is the PDF version.

View attachment 8903

I don't think it makes a difference for JustJulie's chart, but I had a question the other day if those TNSA measurements were PPM or PPB. Guess what we found?

From Ruyan e-cig cartridge report, Laugeson, NZ
Quote:
Table 2.2 Tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) in the cartridge liquid of the Ruyan ® e-cigarette, November 2007
Nicotine Sample NNN NAT NAB NNK TSNAs
Per ID (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) ng/cartridge
Cartridge Observation Observation Observation Observation total
0 mg 073277 BDL BDL NQ 0.260 0.260
6 mg 073278 1.42 1.02 BDL 0.628 3.068
11 mg 073279 1.83 1.36 NQ 1.01 4.200
16 mg 073280 3.87 2.16 0.693 1.46 8.183
Labstat 200713. Average TSNAs 3.928
BDL = Below the limit of detection. NQ = Not quantifiable.
TSNA = tobacco specific nitrosamines. NAB= nitrosoanabasine
NNN= nitrosonornicotine, NAT= nitrosoanatabine,
NNK= 4-nitrosomethylamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone
Comment. 1) Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) were found, equal to 8 ng, in the 1
g of liquid of the 16 mg cartridge. This amount is extremely small, equal for example, to
the amount reported to be present in a nicotine medicinal patch. (
8 ng in 1g = eight parts
per trillion
).
2) These very small amounts traces are likely to be due to the fact that even medicinal
grade nicotine is extracted from tobacco.
Bravo Posidon, great Thread starter!!

Last edited:

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I've been trying to make a graphic on word and paint and I can even come close representing the scale of the difference. I made a pie chart and you couldn't even see the nitrosamines for the electronic cigarette, gum, and patch combined. I also tried to make dots comparing the magnitude of the difference in the number of nitrosamines, but that's going to take up about 10 pages for just Marlboro cigarettes.

Here is two more infographs that I found that may be useful.

Look at the leather jacket.
smoking_big1.jpg

smoking_timeline_2070x1530.gif

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
The information on that chart is pretty accurate based on the numbers I've been gathering. A few years ago, they were quoting 400,000 smoking related deaths. They've moved that up to 440k lately. As far as getting accurate numbers, good luck.

Take lung cancer for example. About 160k die every year from it. 10-!5% of those deaths are never smokers. A never smoker is someone that smoked less than 100 cigarettes in their life. 35-40% are smokers and 50% are ex-smokers. I'm sure they attribute about 90% of lung cancer to cigarette smoking. Does that make sense?

In my mind, if 10-!5% of never smokers get lung cancer, in all probability, 10-!5% of smokers would also have gotten lung cancer even if they hadn't smoked. That doesn't fit with the anti-tobacco agenda. They don't care how long ago you quit smoking, you will become part of their statistics if you were ever a smoker. It fits their agenda.

Smokers/tobacco users are second class citizens in their world. Two thirds of the US is overweight or obese and the death rates aren't far behind those of exaggerated smoker rates but you don't see the outrage or the tax levies directed at the cause of those "addictions".

Had these "health" associations really cared about our health, they would embrace the E-cig, snus, new safer products and promoted them as safer alternatives. Nope, just use our sponsors products that only work 10% of the time. Rant over!

Last edited:

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I'm going to start working on this tonight. I have a few ideas in my head that I think will work. I will also be including the names of politician who support the ban of electronic cigarettes along with the names of the organizations who just showed up on the NJoy vs. The FDA case. Linda B. Rosenthal's name will be at the top of the list.

Posidon

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I've been working on my infograph all night and I think its coming out great. But I could use some feedback as to what I should include or exclude. Here is a list of what I have so far, I think I could use some more data that will turn heads. No pics til its done.

-More than 400,000 in the United States will NOT die each year as a result of vaping. 5.4 million world wide.

E-liquid vs. Cigarettes
E-liquid
~20 different chemicals make up e-liquid including nicotine, propolyne glycol, vegetable glycerine, and food flavoring. Pictures of all 4.

Cigarettes
More than 4,000 individual compounds have been found in cigarettes and cigarette smoke. Picture or pictures.

Who is using the electronic cigarette?
Pie chart

How much money is at stake?
List of US, World, Big Tobacco, and Pharmaceutical earnings per year.

What about the children
I have a paragraph, but don't really like how its worded, if you have a few sentences that would relate to pictures (nicorette, skoal, etc) and targeting children I would love to include it or work with it.

List of organizations/politicians supporting the electronic cigarette ban
FDA, NY Assemblymen, opposition of NJoy vs. FDA.
Am I allowed to list them?

As far as sources go, do I just list them at the bottom in small text?

Should I include a disclaimer?

Let me know what you think. I have some room for a few more ideas including pictures and graphs.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Your pie chart "Who is Using" covers the issue of the product being targeted to children. The other issues that need to be addressed are
Children are no longer exposed to harmful elements in side-stream smoke
Children won't be left parentless or forced to watch parents suffer from diseases triggered by substances in smoke that are missing in e-cigarettes, such as lung-clogging tar.

Put a number [1] next to any fact that you have a source for. At the bottom of the page, list the numbers in order, with the sources next to them.

Last edited:

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
Another issue that I see rarely discussed or documented is the fact that e-cigs reduce fire risks over traditional burning analogs and the use of lighters with analogs.

A lot of the reasons smoking is banned from certain locations is because of smoke damage. Many people understand this. However, smoking is also banned because of the fire hazards and increase to insurance premiums.

The "increased safety" factor of e-cigs isn't just about the health of the individual user, but also the health and environment of others with respect to the removal of fire hazards. IMO, this is a very important aspect to include with everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread