"E-cigarette" firm claims pharma industry behind proposed ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
SE is not the only company making the news.

Ecigaretteschoice.com claims that Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) is trying to ban these products but alleged in a release that he has received over $100,000 from pharmaceutical companies that market products to help people stop smoking.

The rest of the story:
http://www.tgdaily.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=42451 http://www.tgdaily.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42451&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=181 http://www.tgdaily.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=42451&itemid=181

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42451/181/

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We've actually hashed all this over in other threads, Nitewriter. But before we throw darts at the guy, might want to check how much Big Pharmaceutical contributes to other senators. He's far from alone in accepting large contributions from this -- and many other -- industry.

Face it, he's on a crusade. This is not about payback money to him. It's about his beliefs and acting on them. Look at his anti-tobacco record. The man would oppose sucking on a drinking straw if it were clipped off to the length of a cigarette.

Not aimed at you, but some folks get carried away in trying to pin every anti with a money tag. If only it were that easy ...

Besides, impugning motives should be beneath us. Take the high road to legalization. Persuade the senators of the rightness of harm reduction alternatives.

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
We've actually hashed all this over in other threads, Nitewriter. But before we throw darts at the guy, might want to check how much Big Pharmaceutical contributes to other senators. He's far from alone in accepting large contributions from this -- and many other -- industry.

Face it, he's on a crusade. This is not about payback money to him. It's about his beliefs and acting on them. Look at his anti-tobacco record. The man would oppose sucking on a drinking straw if it were clipped off to the length of a cigarette.

Not aimed at you, but some folks get carried away in trying to pin every anti with a money tag. If only it were that easy ...

Besides, impugning motives should be beneath us. Take the high road to legalization. Persuade the senators of the rightness of harm reduction alternatives.

I apologise if I've re-hashed old news. I was amazed with the ammount of press he was getting, for whatever self-serving intentions he may have had in doing so.

badkat

Mar 21, 2009
CA, USA
It seems to me that too many assumptions are being made on all sides. To assume that Lautenberg is acting out of self-rightousness is just that, an assumption. I can with more justification assume that he's in the pocket of Big Pharma because he IS taking money, just as I can assume that he's pandering to the baser instincts of that anti-smoking mob he's got all riled up, again because he IS. Law is often initiated from an emotional level (Megan's Law anyone?) Just because you don't like someone acting from an emotional framework doesn't make it wrong. Truth and fairness only get agendas so far where it's easy for a bureaucracy to ignore reasonable people. It's people getting ...... off that generally makes change possible, and often it's the only reaction a politician will notice. Anger at reprehensible corporations, lobbyists and paid off politicians is pretty high today. I can't blame someone for going after them, even if it doesn't suit the intellectual "high-road" of some.

jcoppers

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
U.S.A., California
I saw nothing wrong. If the good senator has never let contributions control his actions he is the only politician who has. The FACTS are that these devices are safer than a regular cigarette, he has taken over 100k in contributions (public record) from these firms. The pharmeceutical firms stand to lose lots of money as these devices pick up momentum. If he is a concerned with health as he says he is he should be thrilled to see these devices on the market. He did not ask questions, he did not get background, he simply told the fda to ban them. I'm sorry, but in my book, if you look like a duck, and you sound like a duck.....you know the rest. Maybe some embarassment might help, the politicians sure as hell won't listen to what the people who hired them want. And for those who will respond with "the majority of people want smokers to go away" Give them facts...these have no second hand smoke, etc...they cant hurt you.

Where is the proof to backup their claim? Making drive by accusations does not help the cause.
E cigarette choice must not have competent counsel advising them.

I would say its based in part on this:

Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence Supports the FDA Ban of 'Electronic' Cigarettes

The President of this organization just so happens to receive money honoraria money from Pfizer, who just so happens to make Chantix. Quiet a few other board members get paid from pharma, but they don't disclose which ones.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
He did not ask questions, he did not get background, he simply told the fda to ban them.

I'm sorry, but let's at least be honest and accurate. Have you read his letter to the FDA and his press release? Do so before making wildly inaccurate assumptions. I think the guy is over-the-top with his anti-tobacco crusade, but your statement is blatantly unfair and untrue.

Ditto your statement about safety of the e-cig. If proof of that were available, there would be no issue with the FDA. These would take their proper place alongside approved NRT products.

Just keep it honest ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread