gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Just saw this - not sure if it has already been posted:

Study suggests e-cigarette flavorings may pose heart risk

Article reports that laboratory tests on "cells that normally line healthy human blood vessels" using six different e cigarette flavorings concluded that "vaping and some flavorings, even without nicotine, triggered blood vessel dysfunction that can increase the risk of heart disease..."

Apparently they found that cinnamon and menthol flavors were the "most toxic".

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
A BBC documentary I saw (I cannot remember the name) indicated that some epithelial cell damage was noted specifically with menthol flavorings. I'm not a scientist or a doctor and I have no access to the research data that may or may not have resulted in this article. I think it is quite possible that certain flavorings do cause some cell damage.
However, vaping should be considered as a harm reduction method, not harm-free. If an increase in the risk of heart disease is the price to pay compared to the unholy rain of health risks associated with smoking, then so be it.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Vaping is the bane of.......the tobacco industry. Or so they want us to think. I actually doubt vaping has made that much of a dent in their profits worldwide. But you can be sure that somebody high up in BT wants to make sure it doesnt.

The vaping market is estimated here at $22.6 billion and growing...

Vaping - the rise in five charts

I know that not 100% of users are former smokers but am willing to bet that a sizable chunk of those dollars were formerly spent on cigarettes. I don’t know about where you are from but around here $22.6 billion is nothing to sneeze at.

The tobacco industry, and the governments who rely on those taxes and MSA payments not to mention big pharma and their nicotine replacement products, are scared and rightfully so.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Well, it IS tobacco planting season here in Kentucky and tobacco IS being planted. Indications that tobacco isnt going away any time soon. And until nicotine is successfully extracted from other nicotine containing plants or a cheaper method of making nicotine in the lab becomes available, i guess we all need tobacco to be grown.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Well, it IS tobacco planting season here in Kentucky and tobacco IS being planted. Indications that tobacco isnt going away any time soon. And until nicotine is successfully extracted from other nicotine containing plants or a cheaper method of making nicotine in the lab becomes available, i guess we all need tobacco to be grown.

If you meant tobacco farmers when you said tobacco industry, yeah they will be just fine.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
And another thought on flavors. I dont see the fruit flavored cigars, which are still quite popular with the younger crowd, going away yet. Tell me again how flavored vape is being targeted to kids.

Gotta have flavored cigars to go with your flavored vodka ;)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I know alot of these studies are bogus , but inhaling vapor has to do something to your lungs, I mean there's no way it can be 100 percent safe. Granted it's way way way safer then smoking, but there has to be some negative effects.....whether there's truth to this particular study, I have no clue, but if and when there is positive proof of something negative vapor is doing to us, I surely wont be surprised.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I know alot of these studies are bogus , but inhaling vapor has to do something to your lungs, I mean there's no way it can be 100 percent safe. Granted it's way way way safer then smoking, but there has to be some negative effects.....whether there's truth to this particular study, I have no clue, but if and when there is positive proof of something negative vapor is doing to us, I surely wont be surprised.

True, but neither is leaving your house, driving, taking mass transportation etc, etc, etc. Life is a terminal condition. I don’t have any doubts that there is some effect but I also don’t have any doubt that it is exponentially safer than smoking.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Without access to the actual article including materials and methods to know just what they did, any conclusions are merely speculation. Hardly new when medical news is published based on a quick review and maybe a quote from the medical article's authors, but may or may not be accurate. I'd wait for the opportunity to read the original article before drawing any conclusions or begin comparing it to any work already published that may or may not be pertinent to the supposed conclusions.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Without access to the actual article including materials and methods to know just what they did, any conclusions are merely speculation. Hardly new when medical news is published based on a quick review and maybe a quote from the medical article's authors, but may or may not be accurate. I'd wait for the opportunity to read the original article before drawing any conclusions or begin comparing it to any work already published that may or may not be pertinent to the supposed conclusions.
I take all of these "studies" with less than a grain of salt because I want all of the data included in the article using modern gear/flavors. Until then.. It's just some 23 year old journalists trying to make rent selling shock &awe propaganda

Ps I don't ever blame big tobacco for these articles..they want INTO the vape industry..no reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Shock &awe news stories are no different than any national inquire type media...the story doesn't have to be true because the whole game plan is to generate enough eyeballs to hit the page in order to sell advertising. You the reader are the product.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

Pretty sure that most here will agree that the best thing for your lungs is just breathing. Inhaling anything other than ambient air can be detrimental, though e cigarette vapor still feels far less harmful than smoking.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Fwiw I have had 3 lung tests and x-ray. When I came out squeeky clean on the first one I was sent to another facility as we believed the first one had faulty equipment.. I came out squeeky clean there too..so as my practice I did another set 2 years later with another doctor..about 6 weeks ago) Squeeky clean again..he thinks I'm lying about my history 2 packs a day 35 years. Now I vape a lot.. At the gym 4-5 times a week.. Walk 3-6-9 miles per day and try to squeeze in 5 miles on my bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread