Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
. I don’t know about where you are from but around here $22.6 billion is nothing to sneeze at.
Not only that, but the $22.6 billion spent on vaping is likely a substitute for several times that amount not spent on traditional tobacco products. Lets's face it, once someone gets settled in with it, vaping costs less than smoking. If one can avoid shinyitis and does DIY, the costs are so low as to be practically negligible -- at least one, and possibly closer to two orders of magnitude lower than buying cigs.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
True, but neither is leaving your house, driving, taking mass transportation etc, etc, etc. Life is a terminal condition. I don’t have any doubts that there is some effect but I also don’t have any doubt that it is exponentially safer than smoking.
No doubt tons safer, but the analogy of leaving your house and all that I disagree with. You can say that to every bad habit in the world. You cant or shouldn't eat everything in site because you can easily die from breaking normal air or getting hit by a truck. You shouldn't excessively drink because you can easily die from mass transit......I personally dont think like that, I at least try and do things as safe as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Fwiw I have had 3 lung tests and x-ray. When I came out squeeky clean on the first one I was sent to another facility as we believed the first one had faulty equipment.. I came out squeeky clean there too..so as my practice I did another set 2 years later with another doctor..about 6 weeks ago) Squeeky clean again..he thinks I'm lying about my history 2 packs a day 35 years. Now I vape a lot.. At the gym 4-5 times a week.. Walk 3-6-9 miles per day and try to squeeze in 5 miles on my bicycle
Same here....when I started vaping 8 years ago I couldnt breath in the morning, I wheezed and coughed and when I got sick, forget about it. It took weeks for my chest to clear up. My last xray was clear and the doctor said he would of never known I smoked 1.5 pad for 30 years

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Cinnamon and Menthol were the flavors that CBS named in their report about ecig harm. We've all known about those being detrimental to health for a while now. I understand that vaping isn't as healthy as not vaping, but for me it's a benign activity compared to my old smoking habit. Vaping for me is a form of substitute satisfaction that took me off the smokes and removed my desire to smoke. That's a good thing.

I liken vaping vs smoking as being a winner. I don't walk around often in the downtown area of town and don't get the bus fume pollution that affects those who spend 8 hours a day in that environment. Living in the suburbs can be healthier than living in a high vehicle exhaust area. I live about 10 miles South of Ga Power's plant Scherer. Years ago when they burned coal to generate power I could sometimes see tiny black dots on my vehicle. They've since switched years ago to natural gas for the boilers that generate steam and the emissions are well within the EPA accepted levels.

Vaping is still the safest way to enjoy nicotine without going the Nicorette route.

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Same here....when I started vaping 8 years ago I couldnt breath in the morning, I wheezed and coughed and when I got sick, forget about it. It took weeks for my chest to clear up. My last xray was clear and the doctor said he would of never known I smoked 1.5 pad for 30 years

I'm suspicious that we may actually be healing our lungs rather than "less harming"

I never had a cough or wheezing or anything.. My husband had all of that, he quit smoking finally this January and now he is sooooo much better. He has an inhaler that barely gets used now.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Cinnamon and Menthol were the flavors that CBS named in their report about ecig harm. We've all known about those being detrimental to health for a while now.

I recalled Oliver mentioning those two flavors as being possibly harmful years ago, he avoided them himself. Did a search and it was from a thread after a BBC show. Some quotes.

@Oliver

"I'm personally more concerned about cinnamon and menthol than I am about diacetyl. "

"Menthol itself. It's probably not a good idea long term, despite being one of the pharmacopoeia's safe inhalants. I found it didn't react well with me personally, so have been following the studies.

On cinnamon - it's cinnamaldehyde that's the specific troublesome ingredient. "

More detail in the thread (it's quite long but informative).

E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Bottom line from @Robino1

"Life is a risk.

I chose to live my life in a way that makes me happy.

Damn those who want to regulate how I live my life when it does not IMPACT anyone, other than myself, negatively."

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm suspicious that we may actually be healing our lungs rather than "less harming"

I never had a cough or wheezing or anything.. My husband had all of that, he quit smoking finally this January and now he is sooooo much better. He has an inhaler that barely gets used now.
It really is amazing! I was just hoping to quit smokes and not get worse, I never thought I would actually heal.....now my wife hasn't seen as much of a turnaround, so perhaps it's an individual thing or she's a little slower in recovering

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I recalled Oliver mentioning those two flavors as being possibly harmful years ago, he avoided them himself. Did a search and it was from a thread after a BBC show. Some quotes.

@Oliver

"I'm personally more concerned about cinnamon and menthol than I am about diacetyl. "

"Menthol itself. It's probably not a good idea long term, despite being one of the pharmacopoeia's safe inhalants. I found it didn't react well with me personally, so have been following the studies.

On cinnamon - it's cinnamaldehyde that's the specific troublesome ingredient. "

More detail in the thread (it's quite long but informative).

E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Bottom line from @Robino1

"Life is a risk.

I chose to live my life in a way that makes me happy.

Damn those who want to regulate how I live my life when it does not IMPACT anyone, other than myself, negatively."

RIP robino

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
After having some coffee it seems the article I linked was in response to a different study (which I believe doesn’t really change the conclusion), here’s another more pertinent (to this particular “study”) article...

Evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of e-cigarette vapor on cultured cardiac cells: a new study

Taken from the above link by Dr Farsalinos...

''Characteristically, even the worst performing e-liquids in our study (produced by using tobacco leaves to extract flavor) were 3 times less harmful compared to cigarette smoke.''

Can anybody supply the link to that study by Dr Farsalinos? I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Well, it IS tobacco planting season here in Kentucky and tobacco IS being planted. Indications that tobacco isnt going away any time soon. And until nicotine is successfully extracted from other nicotine containing plants or a cheaper method of making nicotine in the lab becomes available, i guess we all need tobacco to be grown.
    You are neglecting the impact vaping is having on BP who is likely much more powerful than BT.

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Taken from the above link by Dr Farsalinos...

''Characteristically, even the worst performing e-liquids in our study (produced by using tobacco leaves to extract flavor) were 3 times less harmful compared to cigarette smoke.''

Can anybody supply the link to that study by Dr Farsalinos? I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure which one it is but here’s a link to his research...

Research

Reactions: Rossum

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    No doubt tons safer, but the analogy of leaving your house and all that I disagree with. You can say that to every bad habit in the world. You cant or shouldn't eat everything in site because you can easily die from breaking normal air or getting hit by a truck. You shouldn't excessively drink because you can easily die from mass transit......I personally dont think like that, I at least try and do things as safe as possible.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that you/we/anyone should not take into account the consequences of our actions. Life is a series of calculated risks, do your research, weigh the risk vs reward and go with whatever amount of risk you are comfortable with. My only point was that the only way to be truly 100% safe is... well, there is no way to be 100% safe.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016

What's funny for me. I actually tried vaping just so I could say it didn't work..yeah I loved my cigs...always lead me to deep thought or concentration. Granted the 1st mod set up only lasted me 1 day so the next day I had to find something with more horsepower lol...kangertech something...after a few days I was like "holy crap,this might actually work" 24mg and making myself chain vape to stick with it. I am so glad! Money saved ... Health improvements. And no bad smelling clothes/car.

If a person can afford a simple regulated mod and tank that can take drop in coils they can easily grow from there wasting very little money and experiment with the dif settings

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    You are neglecting the impact vaping is having on BP who is likely much more powerful than BT.
    BP is more powerful, with roughly half a trillion dollars in sales in the US, making it about five times as big as BT. Moreover, BP doesn't have the reputation of "pure evil" that BT does in the general public's eyes, so politicians are less averse to interacting with a BP lobbyist than one from BT.

However, the impact that a switch to vaping has on BP is much harder to judge. We can count the number of vapers who used to be smokers, multiply that by the average of 1 pack a day, and come up with a pretty decent estimate of how much revenue BT is missing due to vaping. It's far more difficult (perhaps bordering on impossible) to count the number of people who've avoided tobacco-related illnesses by switching to vaping in order to estimate how much revenue BP might be missing out on.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    BP is more powerful, with roughly half a trillion dollars in sales in the US, making it about five times as big as BT. Moreover, BP doesn't have the reputation of "pure evil" that BT does in the general public's eyes, so politicians are less averse to interacting with a BP lobbyist than one from BT.

However, the impact that a switch to vaping has on BP is much harder to judge. We can count the number of vapers who used to be smokers, multiply that by the average of 1 pack a day, and come up with a pretty decent estimate of how much revenue BT is missing due to vaping. It's far more difficult (perhaps bordering on impossible) to count the number of people who've avoided tobacco-related illnesses by switching to vaping in order to estimate how much revenue BP might be missing out on.
    If vaping continues to grow and doesn’t stagnant the impact on BP will be significant. Not just from loss of smoking cessation products but loss of other drugs as well. Blood pressure, respiratory, cardiovascular, cancer treatments will also have to be added to the equation. Hospital and rehab services will be affected eventually too. Of course those numbers will be somewhat dependant on the long term effects of vaping should they arise. More difficult to measure but the effect will be noticable on the bottom line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread