Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ten cigs per day is not "a lot".

There is so much gear out there that it's really difficult to recommend something. If pressed, I would say: Aspire Breeze 2, with some spare pods, and spare coils for those pods, and some 6mg liquids, or even some 12mg liquids (especially the cigs he smoked were "full flavor" ones).

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to @Rossum I'd be thinking a pod system. I can't recommend a specific one as I don't have any experience with them, but that is the new thing these days and they seem to be working. Flavor choices and nicotine strength can be limited, but it will be a cheap way to try and see if it's going to work for him. If he likes the idea and it seems to work, and later he wants more variety/control over the vape, we'll be happy to help him into the APV world.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
^^ Agreed.

No fire button, just puff away.

I was in a vape store and this lady came in with her son who was buying more liquid. The proprietor says "can I help you?" The lady scoffs "certainly not!"...

Carrying on a conversation about mtl coil building with another proprietor I lost track of what the lady was saying. Later she was walking out with an Aspire.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
+1 to @Rossum I'd be thinking a pod system. I can't recommend a specific one as I don't have any experience with them, but that is the new thing these days and they seem to be working. Flavor choices and nicotine strength can be limited, but it will be a cheap way to try and see if it's going to work for him.
That's the cool thing about the Breeze 2 -- the pods are refillable and the coil assemblies in those pods are replaceable. So there's no limit to the choice of flavors or nicotine strength.

Although I don't have any personal experience with the Breeze 2, I did recently buy some of the original Breeze devices for a trip to Europe where I didn't want to risk losing any of my good gear to an over-zealous customs agent due to it not being TPD compliant. The original Breeze does not have replaceable pods, but uses the same coils, and it's a darn good vape.

The biggest problem with 'em for me is capacity. 2-3ml and just under 1000 mAh doesn't cut it, but then I used to smoke a heck of a lot more than 10 cigs a day. Anyway, I don't think one could go wrong with one of these as a starter setup.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Oops my bad Rossum.

It's the Sourin Air I was thinking of. My brain keeps thinking that it and the tear are made by Aspire.

Anyway, for a puff here and there the 300 mAh and 400 mAh battery should make it through the day.

The lady I spoke of at the vape shop left with a "Tear".

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I was down to 10-12 cugs a day before I started vaping. I started vaping with an Innokin Endura T22 and after trying a few others ended up with an Innokin Kroma Zenith kit. If I started with the Kroma Zenith I dont know if I wouldve tried the others.
Right now I have 4 Innokin Zenith kits on loan to people:
one person(49) is into day 9 and has dropped to half his cigarette intake without any thought about it. He is pleased and surprised at the results.
Another (52) is into his 4th week and hasnt smoked a cig for 2weeks.
The 3rd I originally gave a T22 kit to and she did well but was still at 20cigs a day down from 30-40. About 4weeks ago I dropped off a Kroma Zenith kit for her and she has since dropped to about 12cigs a day.
My 80yr old mum is the 4th person. The Zenith doesnt get used but it sits where its visible, on the coffee table, a conversation piece :D

I think its the ease of use, good taste, coil longevity that makes the Zenith a good starter as well as ongoing kit.

I havnt tried every device so I can only recommend devices I have had success with.

Good luck to your dad.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Dads come in all shapes and sizes. If he's the tinkering type he might end up one day winding coils and all the rest. Makes sense to get him a simple to use pod. Then if he gets into using it you could fill him in on the other options that are out there. Let him decide.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Oops my bad Rossum.
It's the Sourin Air I was thinking of. My brain keeps thinking that it and the tear are made by Aspire.
Anyway, for a puff here and there the 300 mAh and 400 mAh battery should make it through the ay.
The original Breeze does have a puff sensor that will fire it, but it also has a fire button. I just checked PB's review and the Breeze 2 has to be fired via the button. I suppose this is a consequence of the coil being moved up into the removable pod.

The very first devices I used were 400 mAh eGo style batteries from Halo. Those got retired very quickly 'cause I constantly had to re-charge them. So personally, I would not recommend something with a battery that small.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Hi and good luck. I don't think 10 Cigarettes a day count as a lot.

But do go with something inexpensive such as the Breeze 2 and use an ejuice with probably 6 mg or maybe 12 mg to see how it works out for him. If he adjusts well to it he can always upgrade to something else later on

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Easy to operate (and I would say 10 cigarettes, while not being no cigarettes is kind of on the lower side.

I would recommend an Innoken T-series (T-18, 20 or 22) but I am a bit biased when it comes to pods. Unless he wants to purchase pods it either gets complicated refilling and/or other issues come into play. There is very little variation quite often (pods are getting more complicated and adjustable but to use those types of pods, well, your dad is going to have a learning curve). I've seen many folks do well with that type of mod honestly, and it's overall less expensive (he will need to learn how to fill a tank and change a coil, not incredibly difficult, but if you think it would be hard for him, I'd guess a pod mod would be best). Something that he just charges, and when the pods are empty he chucks them. That does limit juice options to whatever the podmaker "releases" and some of them can be quite high nicotine, although many have a few different levels.

I'm finding it hard to recommend a specific pod as I just don't use them but I'm sure you will get other excellent recommendations from folks on the plus side, with his LESS extensive smoking habit he may not need as many pods per week as a 2 ppd smoker.

Finally, is he on board with this? I will often say to family members (even though they may think it will be a lovely "surprise" or that he'll be less resistant to it, if they talk to said family member, the flip side of that is that he may have more "buy in" if he is helping select his equipment and whatnot. I would also say, if he rules the matter out of hand and has no interest when you bring it UP, he's unlikely to feel any differently (and perhaps, even MORE resistant with something "sprung" on him) whether you discuss if first or not. If he's really interested, get him involved in the buying process, and if he's not, well buy something CHEAP. Because there is every likelihood that it may wind up no less or no more than an ornament on the Christmas tree, really. I mean, perhaps it will percolate around and at some point he will try it, but well, equally so he may not, so stay on the less expensive side if you know he is not going to receive it with unembellished grace and etc.

My son did gift me ecig equipment before I quit and it helped, but my near miss with COPD really ALSO helped a great deal. The "I will guilt my mom" factor had SOME power, but I would never have picked it up unless I was to the point I was SO ILL, I really had little choice, even in my own mind.

Good luck and I hope whatever you get helps your dad!

Anna

Reactions: Vaperer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread