Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The bill will ban the buying, selling, and possession of ecigarettes in the UK. This will have been prompted by a recent study that shows that ecigs are more addictive than any thing else ever made, and 10x more deadly than regular cigarettes. Of course this study was conducted by a joint venture of R.J. Reynolds and Philip Morris.

I kid there is no study.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Oh dear.
A BBC newsreader stating 'the smoke is in fact water vapour'.
A comment of ... 'growing evidence that these are being marketed at children' with no actual evidence being shown.
Yet another UNINFORMED non story on behalf of those with a vested interest to keep tobacco sales going.
I really feel like swearing right now. (Also, please remember those of you fortunate enough not to be British, we have to fund the BBC via a non optional TV licence fee). :mad:

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
I actually agree they should not be marketed with flashy logos, stickers, colors etc. It doesn't need to be either glamorized nor demonized but I bet ya anyone seeing a certain vendor's website with a devil's head logo on everything etc - a conservative middle aged health minister or politician is going to freak, and it's not going to help the vaper's cause.

The proposed ban MAY take them off shelves and make them illegal whilst health tests are done. At least they're saying they're thinking of actually getting around to testing.

If they are banned in the UK tho it will suck - and so will I - on cigarettes again, no doubt about it.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Anytime a politician says "ban it until it can be investigated" what they are really saying is "Let's prevent people from buying these thing legally whilst we get more cash for other things and think about maybe forming a committee to see if we need to form a committee for forming a committee to think about how to deny any funding for any research on the item."

Well, maybe not.. but that is what always seems to actually happen.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Don't blame bbc. License fee we pay because its law, that's for another forum.
Anyway e cigarettes are to be classed as medicine. Not sure what that'll mean. We'll soon find out.

BBC News - E-cigarettes face new restrictions

He said there would be no compulsory licensing of the products until 2016 but until then they were not recommended for use.

We're good until at least 2016 by the looks of it!

Electronic cigarettes will be licensed as a medicine in the UK from 2016, under new regulations.
The UK currently has few restrictions on the use of e-cigarettes, despite moves in some countries to ban them.
The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency says it will regulate e-cigarettes as medicines when new European tobacco laws come into force.

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of ASH, said: "MHRA regulation can ensure that adult smokers can continue to be able to buy e-cigarettes as easily as tobacco, but promotion to children or non-smokers will be prohibited."

Fair 'nuff.

The British Medical Association, which has called for stronger regulation of e-cigarettes, says health professionals should encourage their patients to use a regulated and licensed nicotine replacement therapy (such as patches or gum) to help quit smoking.

Yeah coz we all know HOW WELL those products work!

Once licensed, they will remain on sale over-the-counter.

But made and distributed by whom....? Article doesn't go that far - whether the BMHA will allow current devices and juices to be sold - or a big pharma version.

If there's no RY5 or menthol and the vape isn't as good as an ego I'll be back on the smokes in 2016.

But until then it looks like - UK vapers; VAPE ON!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I actually agree they should not be marketed with flashy logos, stickers, colors etc. It doesn't need to be either glamorized nor demonized but I bet ya anyone seeing a certain vendor's website with a devil's head logo on everything etc - a conservative middle aged health minister or politician is going to freak, and it's not going to help the vaper's cause.

The proposed ban MAY take them off shelves and make them illegal whilst health tests are done. At least they're saying they're thinking of actually getting around to testing.

If they are banned in the UK tho it will suck - and so will I - on cigarettes again, no doubt about it.

Wait so even though I am nearly 40, I can't have shiny objects because it MIGHT attract children. That is beyond stupid. Ok maybe they shouldn't have cartoon characters on them, but colors? How will I know which all metal Vivi Nova has which juice in it without colors?

You want to know what keeps kids from smoking? Good parenting. Not good government. I wish people would take responsibility for their own shortcomings instead of expecting government to regulate everything.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Doesn't seem that bad really. 2016 will give retailers time to get up to speed with what ever the MAN wants. interesting to see what happens. What's the bet a Chinese company gets the first uk license?

That is 3 years to taper down to 0 nic and be done with the whole bit.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
That's right, hardly any ELECTRONIC devices with Chinese parts.

Providing parts and getting the UK license - apples and crazy oranges.

Wait so even though I am nearly 40, I can't have shiny objects THAT ARE DRUG DELIVERY DEVICES because it MIGHT attract children. That is beyond stupid.

Fixed that for ya.

It ain't stupid, that's called 'sensible.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread