The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

"E-Cigarette" is going to cause us pain.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by TheTrulyInsane, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. TheTrulyInsane

TheTrulyInsane Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    All over the world there are people saying bad things about E-Cigarettes. I believe that when you label something with a name that name sticks out above all other things.

For example, if I handed you a fruit you never had before and didn't know what it was, but it looked sort of like an apple.. I tell you it's a new type of apple, you taste it and it's good, almost exactly like an apple. But when you're talking about it, you think of it as an apple, not a replacement for an apple.

I believe the labeling of our PV's needs to be that, PV. I believe calling them E-Cigarettes is going to end up getting us in to more situations where government is trying to ban them as unregulated cigarettes, these are NOT cigarettes, and we need to get that reference out of there.

Alternative to smoking, yes, absolutely! I know what I'm saying here seems a bit off the deep end, but I don't believe it is.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, should we not take action and get the "cigarette" part out of everything to do with PV's, or what is your argument for keeping it there?

Please don't come back with something about smokers not knowing what it is if they're not called E-Cigarettes, it's up to US to educate people, not a product naming scheme!

Me and my wife were in Wal-Mart the other night and I started talking to a lady that was buying cigarettes about my PV, gave her my email address to get more information, THIS is what should be done for getting the word out and ending cigarettes.

It is my belief that the "E-Cigarette" branding is going to hurt our efforts, not help them.

Sorry for the rant, this has been bothering me lately.

Thanks,

-TTI

2. PoliticallyIncorrect

PoliticallyIncorrect Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2010
    SoCal
    Not only is this not off the wall, it's been long and frequently discussed in here.

"E-cigarette" was chosen originally as the expedient means of reaching the target group: cigarette smokers. It's long outlived its usefulness—has, in fact, become a liability—but it's too entrenched now to go back.

3. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    [​IMG]

Google results:

personal vaporizer = 308,000 (some of which are non-e-cig related)

e-cigarette = 148,000,000 (all of which are e-cig related)

480:1 hit ratio! [​IMG]

4. KeysBum

KeysBum Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2011
    Florida Keys, USA
    I call it a PV..

5. LisaC

LisaC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 12, 2011
    West Texas
    I agree, and call it a PV, but I also agree that it's entrenched in peoples mind that that is what it is. If I show it to someone and call it my PV, I get a blank look. Then I explain, and they say, oh, an ecig. Ugh. Yes. An ecig.

6. metalhd

metalhd Full Member Verified Member

Nov 28, 2011
    A, A
    All we can and or need to do is educate when and or wherever possible and appropriate:vapor:

7. JAY73

JAY73 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 5, 2011
    CLEBURNE TX
    I agree with you! But in my area people do not understand pv so i use the term ecig to get them to try it and if they like it or think it's cool then i educate them about the wonderfull world of vapeing and point them to the ecf forum, and if they then educate and convert one person and so forth then i have done good. Lets face it the only way we can beat big brother is by large numbers of educated people no matter how frustrating it can be!! Just my two cents...

8. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    in a another forum somebody called it his "stop smoking device" ..he never got any flack about it either....

i like the term but i think the FDA would have a hayday if we called it that

9. Eddie.Willers

Eddie.Willers ECF Wiki SysOp Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 3, 2011
    Prairie Canada
    Its being entrenched doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be changed. Look at how the term for an 'African-American' has changed over the last 40 years!

10. Padre

Padre Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 7, 2010
    Maryland
    ...and if you want someone to read about, where are you going to send them? Here to the e cigarette forum!

11. SusanK

SusanK Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 5, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I call mine "Sally" because I got tired of saying "my e-cigarette thingy." Now, I say "I don't know where I put Sally" or "I have to put Sally on the charger." I don't think that will catch on, though. E-cigarette is what led me to give it a shot.... it works. Yep, it may be the downfall, but I see why they did it. I see why it will be hard to undo it, too.

12. Stormiefury

Stormiefury Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    Wylie, TX
    To me the ecig is the cig wanna be that lights up. Anything other than that is a PV. I have a PV and it will always be my PV lol

Stormie:angel:

13. wfx

wfx Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2011
    VA
    right. but completely depends to whom you're speaking. if the group is majority non smokers, say it's a PV to quit smoking. if it's smokers, call it an ecig and they're more likely to try it. but if you don't know??

14. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    Whenever I'm asked "What's that thing you're smoking on?", I reply that it's my personal vaporizer. To which most people say, either, "Oh, like an e-cigarette?" Or, "Oh, one of those fake smoking thingies?" To which I reply, "Yeah, kinda like that, but mine's alittle more advanced."

Alot of inquisition comes from people who smoke alot more that just analogs, because they think that it's some kind of paraphernalia. I kindly tell them, "I don't use drugs, thank you! Have a nice day."

15. Uncle Willie

Uncle Willie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I myself like e-cig .. that's what it is, after all .. an electronic cigarette .. and it's not going to matter what you call it as far as the FDA is concerned .. other than those that use zero nic, it's a nicotine delivery device .. that produces vapor that looks like smoke ..

16. CCC

CCC Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    I agree that it should be called a PV, but i also agree that smokers are more likely to give it a go if they know it as an electronic cigarette. Unitl the whole world knows that an ecig is a pv we have a problem.

17. LeAnn

LeAnn Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Alot of people have heard about e-cigs, not so many have heard about pv. Whether the sigma is good or bad about e-cigs people need to know that they are better for you than analogs and we vapers need to educate them when they ask. I've had alot of people ask me is that is a one hitter and laugh, they know I wouln't be sitting outside one a bench toking on a one hitter so I just smile back at them, let them think what they want.

18. Los Marauder

Los Marauder Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2011
    Iowa City
    I call my pv "My Echo" because that is the brand name. I called my cig styles "SmokeTips" because that is the brand name. When people inquire about them I introduce them as an e-cig so they kinda understand the concept, then as the conversation evolves, I again refear to them as "My Echo" or "SmokeTips". "E-cig" may have gotten a rotten draw of straws politicaly, but to conjour up an instant idea, I do feel that "e-cig" is a necessary evil. Hopefully as the general populations understanding evolves like our conversations, so too will the words and lables we appropriate on it.

19. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    OK then, get back with me in 35 years or so... I'll be 100 years old then, dead or alive; more likely... [​IMG] In either case, I still won't G-A-S! [​IMG]

20. vape-addict

vape-addict Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2010
    mississippi
    I agree with everyone else..you can't put the genie back in the bottle..the name has stuck..just like cola is referred to as coke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.