Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This paper was posted by the American College of Physicians. You have to subscribe to read the entire article, but I found this quote in the abstract to be shocking:

Physicians should be aware of the popularity, questionable efficacy claims, and safety concerns of e-cigarettes so that they may counsel patients against use and advocate for research to inform an evidence-based regulatory approach.

So, without any proof that e-cigarettes are harmful and KNOWING that cigarettes ARE harmful and NRTs fail 93% of the time, they are still urging physicians to tell patients NOT to use them.

As my son would say - EPIC FAIL.

LINK: E-Cigarettes: A Rapidly Growing Internet Phenomenon — Ann Intern Med

I hope Nitzkin, Siegel and others see this and comment!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
All I had to read was the abstract, that said enough.

"Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) aerosolize nicotine and produce a vapor that emulates that of cigarettes but purportedly has fewer traditional toxins than secondhand smoke. Although e-cigarettes are widely sold online and by retailers, new research suggests that they may contain unexpected toxins and may provide unreliable nicotine delivery. Many countries have already banned or strictly regulated e-cigarettes. Currently in the United States, e-cigarettes are exempt from regulation as drug-delivery devices. Meanwhile, the presence of e-cigarettes on the Internet, including in Web searches, virtual user communities, and online stores where people sell e-cigarettes on commission, is increasing rapidly. Physicians should be aware of the popularity, questionable efficacy claims, and safety concerns of e-cigarettes so that they may counsel patients against use and advocate for research to inform an evidence-based regulatory approach."

My Emphasis. Point 1, NEW EVIDENCE? The only evidence I am aware of, other than fear mongering, came with the FDA's dog and pony show last year and Eisenberg's study that said E cigs don't deliver nicotine. We know that the FDA's Press release and presentation did not represent the data or results as a comparison to cigarettes or NRT products. If Eisneberg's study is correct, it doesn't matter what the level of nicotine is in the cartridge, E Cigs just give placebo effect. Shouldn't matter if it gets people to quit smoking now, should it?

Point 2. Yes, countries have banned E Cigs, whether you would say a handful is many is to be questioned and many of those few that have banned them used the FDA's remarks as part of their argument.

Point 3, Where people sell e-cigarettes for commission? First, I doubt most online stores are selling E cigs for commissions. I'd be surprised if there are any commission sales outside of brick and mortar or mall kiosk stores. Yes, they are sold for profit, but doubtful commission. Besides, isn't this America, land of the brave home of the capitalist? Gee, I didn't realize that BP sold products, overpriced and under effective, out of their altruistic benevolence. Perhaps they'd like to sell their products at cost, just to help smokers to quit.

Finally, "so that they may counsel patients against use and advocate for research to inform an evidence-based regulatory approach." says it all. Ban them now and we'll let our henchmen, the FDA, make sure they never see the light of day.

And I should pay to see what the rest of the article says, for who, for what?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Notice in the article's abstract, the authors report no conflicts of interest, but then thank Jack Henningfield for providing feedback on previous manuscripts of the article.

Henningfield works for Pinney Associates, which has been heavily funded by GlaxoSmithKline to exaggerate the health and safety risks of smokefree tobacco/nicotine products that are more effective cigarette substitutes than GSK's NRT products.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Notice in the article's abstract, the authors report no conflicts of interest, but then thank Jack Henningfield for providing feedback on previous manuscripts of the article.

Henningfield works for Pinney Associates, which has been heavily funded by GlaxoSmithKline to exaggerate the health and safety risks of smokefree tobacco/nicotine products that are more effective cigarette substitutes than GSK's NRT products.

I caught that, too, Bill! :mad:

"advocate for research to inform an evidence-based regulatory approach." Translation: We need money to find evidence that supports our "approach".

Apparently somebody forgot that "an evidence-based regulatory approach" requires you to actually GET some evidence BEFORE you base regulations on it.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
"advocate for research to inform an evidence-based regulatory approach." Translation: We need money to find evidence that supports our "approach".

Apparently somebody forgot that "an evidence-based regulatory approach" requires you to actually GET some evidence BEFORE you base regulations on it.

And if it appears that the evidence won't support your opinion on how a product should be regulated, then MAKE UP some evidence. Case in point: Scholarly sounding article to be published in Journal of Chromatography A. The researchers include Benjamin Westenberger, the author of the FDA's July 2009 test report. The authors order some Rimonabant (a weight-loss drug not approved in the U.S.), and ......™ (a prescription drug approved in the US for treatment of ED), carefully specifying from whom they purchased the drugs. They then proceed to describe how they scientifically detected traces of these drugs in e-cigarettes, concluding that such "contamination" illustrates quality control problems in manufacturing e-cigarettes.

In keeping with the FDA's tradition of being truthful, but not honest, the report leaves out a few facts. Nowhere in the article does it mention from where they obtained the e-cigarette samples. Since they did find the drugs in their samples it is very likely that they obtained them from the Chinese web site that sells e-cigarette cartridges that claim to contain the specified drugs.

If the drugs are there intentionally, it cannot be said that they are "contaminants." By failing to specify that they only tested cartridges that claim to contain those drugs, the authors give the false impression that cartridges they tested are a representative sample of all e-cigarette cartridges.

If you ask me, the qualtity control issue lies in the the FDA's manufacture of "evidence."

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread