Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
What a terrible and horrible article.

The survey, published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report

That's my favorite publication! I subscribe to the Morbidity and Mortality weekly report. I never leave home without it, and I advise you all to do the same. It's always an entertaining, refreshing and relaxing read.

"It's the first uptick in children using tobacco products in a generation. This is a very alarming finding,"

vaping is tobacco? That's news to me. I also don't find it alarming at all. If more people are vaping and less people are smoking tobacco cigs, then that's a good thing.

"Look, when you make these things taste like gummy bears and cotton candy, you’re not targeting long-term smokers," Koval added.

Who is this clown? Adults don't like gummy bears or cotton candy? That's news to me, and I happen to be an adult, and I've been ordering all sorts of flavors recently, including candy flavors. Who says that e-cigs have to be tobacco flavored only? That's the beauty of e-cigs, you get your nicotine fix if you need it, and you get to vape and choose any flavor that you want!

Frieden said young people widely -- and inaccurately -- believe that these products are somehow safer than traditional cigarettes.

Inaccurately? Vaping is safer than tobacco cigs, and this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, I don't care what their title is. It's better that kids and teenagers do not smoke or vape at all in my opinion, but if they're first going to do it anyhow, and you know that they will, then vaping is far better and safer than smoking tobacco cigs.

That chart looks like good news to me. Tobacco cig smoking is on the decline and vaping is rising! That's great, and I don't care about what any anti-vaping zealots have to say about it.

Their agenda seems to be to give cancer to as many people as possible, including children.

Last edited:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
The underlying truth to all this is if the advocates wants federal rules to setting age minimum and banning their sale through vending machines, why hasn't this stopped kids from getting access to cigarettes, cigars, and smokeless tobacco? After all, those products already have age minimums and bans on sale through vending machines.

Seriously horrible article and it amazes me how many people read The Huffington Post and believe they're a reliable source of information for anything. Seriously, I find Buzzfeed to be more reliable on a day to day basis. Not even horrible because of the bias standpoint but because of the obvious lack of fact checking, lumping a million un-related products all into one, and presenting it as this huge threat.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
a thousand words
n-HIGH-SCHOOL-TOBACCO-USE-BY-TYPE-large640.jpg

RamShot Rowdy

Battery Police
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Oklahoma, USA
I read a much worse article covering the same news in the LA Times. Their experts kept saying how e-cigs are a gateway for kids to start smoking. Then these same experts contradict themselves by pointing out how teen smoking continues to decline but e-cig use is on the rise. Where are all these new teen smokers that got started by using e-cigs then?

I'm still looking for the tobacco inside my "tobacco product" mod. It must be hidden really well or something.

We should just all start smoking again. Do it for the children, and don't forget big tobacco, big pharmaceutical, or big government while you're at it.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I would rather look at some real world perspectives. My unique one living in conservative USA. I still smoke cigars and vape. I personally believe if you want to smoke, chew or vape.. that is one's choice.

My wife is a inner city teacher and I have 2 teenage girls. My 16 year old goes to a school with 3k kids in it (10th-12th). We have an east and west, so around 6k kids in our community. When I first started vaping I asked my daughter if any kids at her high school use them. She said she has seen a few, but the ones that do never continue using an e cig. 3 years later, of the 3k student she hardly sees anyone vaping. She says they are too busy sucking face after school to put anything else in their mouths.

Now my wife. Oh sheesh what a woman. If I was teaching her school I would be in jail because I would have put almost every one of her kids in the hospital. The first time one of the kids wouldhave to me to F off I would have opened the door with his face. Props to you other teachers out there that handle the behavior of some of these students. Let's see in her 4 months, 12 kids came in stoned. 2 caught with knives. 1 threatened her. 1 said they had a gun. 3 became pregnant. This is 8th grade. Most of them smoke and not just cigarettes. Worrying about ecigs would be the last thing on my list of priorities. None of them in her school use e cigs.

I always get a kick out of reading Huffington Post. It's like the comics in the Sunday Paper.

Burn1ngChrome

Apr 17, 2015
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/e-cigarette-use-triples-among-middle-and-high-school-students-study-says/2015/04/16/16632674-e3bd-11e4-81ea-0649268f729e_story.html
This was on the front page of the Washington post today. Two things stuck out. Some highschools are treating ecigs as drug paraphernalia. And the whole ecig TV marketing Marlboro man boogie man. I've only ever seen in store ads in 7-11 for those ....ty njoy and blu cigs likes. Arguably not targeting kids. Only ever seen TV ads for blu with Stephen dorf and jenny McCarthy which yes are clearly trying pathetically to make it look cool and link to a celebrity... Granted a b list celebrity but still. So are we basically screwed on the TV ad accusations because big tobacco f'd up and ran two ....ty TV ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread