E-cigarettes banned in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonidus

May 7, 2009
Wow! Que saco!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :evil::mad:

Que porra essa gente? I just started importing and selling e-cigs here in Salvador. What horrible news. I really banked on the idea that Brazil would be less stringent in its prohibition and enforcement of falsely verified shat ... FDA inspired studies. I mean really!

This is a product that I really believe in and am excited to sell. I never expected such a rapid announcement on the part of the health authorities. Clearly the FDA “data” is having its effect.

Algeum falou que existe um e-cig forum brasileiro na internet? Qual é o endereço? Algeum sabe?

Thus far, I have been able to get my imports through the Brazilian post no problem. But what now guys? Sempre ha um jeito, né? Mas, vale a pena?

Leo

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they stamped nic e-liquids as tobacco products. So buying devices is fine as long as there are no health claims and no nic in juices. To buy nic juices one would apparently need to have an VAT number and pay taxes. Let me know when this "Diário Oficial da União" is made available.

Right, that's i'm thinking too. I just can bring ecigs at parts, different shipments,no boxes, etc. After the note was added to the official diary, it will take some time until all customs personell get trained.

Last edited:

treble

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
new orleans
oh no...i lived in brazil touring with a famous brazilian rock band (do you like nando reis?? ha) and i just talked to them a couple of days ago and told them i would send them down some e-cigarettes......i guess that is a bad idea now? they had never heard of them, and two members of the band want them--- any local in rio or sao paulo want to try to get them some?? i could probably get you concert tickets....lol.....

It's incredible how quickly this move was made.

Here we got ALOT of problems, all kind, and that include problems with regulamentation of any kind of everything you can imagine (like people dying from starving, etc)!!! But for e-cigarettes ban, they was incredible fast.

Man, I'm hopeless...

sorry but i really want fo F someone at the goverment (like 99% brazilians want, for the all kind of bull**** they do)

treble

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
new orleans
got your PM.....can you go deliver an ecig to nando for me?? lol..... i lived on rua sousa lima in rio for six months when i was on tour with them, i know a bit about brazil---gilberto gil's daughter nara was with us occasionally and she told me lots of interesting things about brazilian government---just dealing with our visas alone was enough of a headache!! .....i really do miss the acai though :) .....and pinga.....and mochecha.......and skol.....and nando and os paralamas do successo, and skank, and nacao zumbi!

got your PM.....can you go deliver an ecig to nando for me?? lol..... i lived on rua sousa lima in rio for six months when i was on tour with them, i know a bit about brazil---gilberto gil's daughter nara was with us occasionally and she told me lots of interesting things about brazilian government---just dealing with our visas alone was enough of a headache!! .....i really do miss the acai though :) .....and pinga.....and mochecha.......and skol.....and nando and os paralamas do successo, and skank, and nacao zumbi!

cool man.. i think you had a very good experience down here! but next time try a Original instead skol :)

look, i can work it out but will take some time until i get my workaround ok. leave me his e-mail by PM.

btw the goverment still act like clowns, but i think it will be ok in like 10 years on a positive scenario :rolleyes:

treble

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
new orleans
original?? what is that?? whenever we got to a show backstage, we knew it was going to be good if they gave us skol, and we knew it was going to be bad if they gave us kaiser :D .......and, i can't give out nando's email address, even in a private message----but one of his backup singers, maybe :) ....i will talk to her and see what she wants to do and send you a PM....thanks! oh, and ''hollywood'' cigarettes are nasty!! :D

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
Okay, found the "official gazette".
You can find it by going to Portal da Imprensa Nacional — Portal da Imprensa Nacional and searching for "cigarro eletrônico". Then put "31/08" to the dates and search again. It is the first one.
Jornal: Diário Oficial da União - Seção 1
Edição: 166
Data da Publicação: 31/08/2009
Página: 45

In a nutshell it says claims must be backed by scientific evidence. Nothing specific is said about nicotine so I guess they did not go the tobacco route after all. There are some interesting choices of words like: "Article 1 is prohibited marketing ... especially those who claim to replace cigarettes..."
Anyway, if one drops all claims and references to cigs it seems that pretty much only thing required is a toxicology analysis of e-liquid. IIRC, TW did one for some ten grand. Israeli is requiring the same thing.

RESOLUTION RDC-46 DATED 28 AUGUST 2009
--
Prohibits the sale, importation and
propaganda of any devices it -
nies to smoke, known as ci -
Garro mail.
The Board of the National Surveillance
Health, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section IV of art. 11
Regulation approved by Decree No. 3029 of 16 April
--
1999, and in view of the provisions of section II and in § § 1 and 3 of art.
54 of the Bylaws approved in accordance with Annex I of the Ordinance
No. 354 ANVISA, 11 August 2006, republished in the Official Gazette
--
21 August 2006, at a meeting held on 25 August
2009, and
Having regard to Law No. 9782 of January 26, 1999, es -
--
cially in articles 6 and 8, § 1, item X, which gives the ANVISA
the institutional purpose of promoting the protection of health of the po -
lation, with the power to regulate, control and monitor
products and services that involve a risk to public health, including
cigarettes, cigars and any other smoking product,
or not derived from tobacco;
Having regard to Law No. 6437 of August 20, 1977
--
configures the violations of federal health legislation and sets out
penalties;
considering the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control,
promulgated by Decree 5658 of 02 January 2006;
given the absence of scientific data with -
prove the efficiency, effectiveness and safety in the use and handling of
any electronic devices to smoke, known as ci -
electronic Garro, given the impact of the Precautionary Principle,
adopts the following resolution and I, the President-Subs
stitute, determine its publication:
Article 1 is prohibited marketing, import and
propaganda of any electronic devices to smoke, knowl -
acids as electronic cigarettes, E-cigarette, e-ciggy, Ecig between
others, especially those who claim to replace cigarettes, ci -
garrilha, cigars, pipes and similar in smoking or ob -
subjective choice in the treatment of smoking.
Paragraph. Included in the ban that is
heading of this article any refills and accessories intended for use in
any electronic device for smoking.
Article 2 The admissibility of his claims by ANVISA
Registry of the Registration Data to any electronic device
Smoking, especially for the treatment of smoking
or replacement of cigarette, cigar, pipe and similar
No smoking, upon presentation of toxicological studies
logical and scientific tests that prove the specific purposes
alleged.
§ 1. The toxicology study and tests of caput
this article shall be conducted in accordance with protocols
and internationally recognized scientific methods and accepted,
accompanied by the risk assessment of deteriorating health and the User
proof of no contamination of the environment with compounds
toxic.
§ 2. All results of toxicological studies and
tests referred to in this article are subject to review
Technical and approval by ANVISA.
§ 3. Although obtained from the registry of the caput of art.
2 is forbidden to sell, supply, even free, mi -
administration or delivery in any case, the child or adolescent,
any electronic devices to smoke.
Article 3 The violation of this Resolution shall subject
liable to penalties under the Law 6437 of 20 August
Art.4 This Resolution shall enter into force on the date of pu -
cation.

dayum i cant understand why governments wouldn't want people to use a HEALTHIER alternative to analogs... it makes no sense to me... wait it does because big tobacco companies don't wanna lose profits and the politicians don't want to lose tobacco lobby money... its disgusting honestly...

in this case, I am forced to doubt it is such a "move" from the tobacco companies. E-cigs are rather new here in Brazil, they are quite expensive (except for those like me, who imported them directly :D) and I believe that the tobacco companies lose such as... 1000 cigarette packs a week (maybe less), which is not much for them.

There are very, very few users of e-cigs here.

I ordered a few 901 attys and a 30ml e-juice bottle a couple days ago from Best E-Cig, just to see what happens. I've just checked my order tracking number at our Mail Service Website and discovered that my order was redirected to Anvisa. I think I've lost 30 bucks!! This kind of thing never happened with my previous orders...

I am completely clueless! I don't want to go back to analogs, but in the other hand, I will not be able to resupply my e-juice and attys' stock! And I am not strong enough to just go cold turkey...

Is there any brazilians here in ECF which a good idea of how can I manage to get e-juice once again?

Soon to be E

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
It's incredible how quickly this move was made.

Here we got ALOT of problems, all kind, and that include problems with regulamentation of any kind of everything you can imagine (like people dying from starving, etc)!!! But for e-cigarettes ban, they was incredible fast.

Man, I'm hopeless...

sorry but i really want fo F someone at the goverment (like 99% brazilians want, for the all kind of bull**** they do)

Tandera, what about tourists bringing them in? I usually go on holidays to Rio, do you know if the customs will make a fuss about them?

Your "almost" next door neighbour, from Buenos Aires Argentina...

Susana

spradling

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mr. Crowley, I'm a supplier in Uruguay. Have tons of liquid for only $0.5/ml. Send me a PM and I'll send you a free sample, to test your customs. I think my orders will get through, I use very stealthy shipping ;)

Edit: oh and susana, if your interested I ship to Argentina a lot and never have any problems.

Cheers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread