Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo Marrón

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
Tacoma Wa,
I used to smoke about 20 to 24 smokes a day.
I never really craved nicotine much unless i went for over a day, I just like smoking.
I noticed at first when i started vaping, i was like a fog machine.
But now I only semi chain vape at night while on the computer (Like now)
And when I vape, I take about 3 drags every 5 or so mins.

I know after two months of vaping i still have the same amount of nicotine in me because I ran out of cartos and i went about 12 hours without vaping and Thought I was gonna die. :)

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Sorry, i have to be blunt.This is One more piece of Nonsense peddled by ecig vendors and caught fancy of ignorant users.

Consuming caffeine in a beverage has no parallel to inhaling nicotine; not even on addictive potential.
Sorry,even the FDA classifies caffeine and nicotine under the same classification.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Many years ago I started getting splitting headaches during the workday. Four weeks went by before I learned that our VP had changed the coffee in our department's urn to de-caf. I had read somewhere that caffeine is efective treatment for headaches (it's the Ex-tra ingredient in Excedrin). So I began buying my coffee from the vending machine. It was vile, but it provided sufficient caffeine for me to get through the work-day painfree. Finally, the VP was convinced by others to go back to regular coffee in the department urn.

I just learned something new AGAIN. My mother has been a caffeine fiend her whole life. She used to get terrible headaches that she always treated with Excedrin. I wonder if her headaches came from not getting the proper level of her drug of choice? I had mentioned her headaches it to her the other week. She no longer gets them, but there's no need to ever go too long between "fixes" since the coffee pot is always a few steps away.

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
My only concern is based on previous ecigarette nicotine studies, I assumed I was not getting much nicotine delivery in comparison to smoking analog cigarettes. I am diabetic and I thought that being that there was little nicotine delivery shown in studies, it would not affect my circulation and blood flow near as much as a regular cigarette. Diabetics have to worry about blood flow issues due to nicotine because diabetics already have to worry about getting good circulation. It has been shown that it is the nicotine in cigarettes that causes problems with blood flow in diabetics and increases infections. So now I'm wondering how much nicotine am I inhaling? Is it just as bad for me as smoking regular cigarettes in the sense that my blood flow is being hindered? I am sure overall it is much safer than smoking real cigarettes. I am simply confused. I have some 16mg and 24 MG juice because I'm still a newb but I am considering buying smaller nicotine concentrations because now I am concerned that I may be inhaling as much nicotine as I do with a regular cigarette.

Miss, I can understand that this might cause you a little concern. From the summaries of the study it sounds very much as if longer-term vapers arrange their personal use to suit their own nicotine requirements, and many (like myself) very likely have no interest in quitting nicotine. With many failed attempts to quit smoking behind me, my own objective was simply to cut down as a minimum, and preferably to cut out my use of tobacco - which I have.

If overall you succeed in reducing the number of cigarettes which you would otherwise have smoked, surely this has to be regarded as an improvement compared to the alternative of continuing to smoke? The very best solution will be to talk this over with the medical professionals who help you with controlling your diabetes. I do hope this won't also include having to explain e-cigs as well, as it would certainly be much easier if you are talking to someone who already understands how they work! If you are now smoking less (or not at all) as a result, I'd hope this would be regarded as a positive change by your medics.

You did say that you were still quite new to vaping but it does sound as if you have very sensibly done your own research before deciding to give vaping a try. You may already be aware that it does sometimes take people quite a while to settle down to where their own personal 'comfort level' lies - possibly a few weeks or even months, so by all means experiment with lower strength nicotine liquid while you are still new to this.

I recently had an extremely interesting conversation with a gentleman who is also diabetic and sadly lost part of a leg a few months ago due to circulation problems. As he was formerly a heavy smoker this has led to his making many changes in his lifestyle including quitting smoking. To his credit, at present he is tobacco free using a combination of (prescribed) nicotine gum and an e-cig. I did ask if his medics were aware that he was also vaping and he says that they are, and they seem unconcerned as long as this keeps him off tobacco. He has been reassessed since he has made these changes and he was told his peripheral circulation is now considerably improved, which is clearly extremely good news for him.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Interesting study.

It has its positives. I think many smokers will effectively be able to quit if there is more nicotine in an ecigarette than previously thought. It will give them a much more "healthy" option, obviously

My only concern is based on previous ecigarette nicotine studies, I assumed I was not getting much nicotine delivery in comparison to smoking analog cigarettes. I am diabetic and I thought that being that there was little nicotine delivery shown in studies, it would not affect my circulation and blood flow near as much as a regular cigarette. Diabetics have to worry about blood flow issues due to nicotine because diabetics already have to worry about getting good circulation. It has been shown that it is the nicotine in cigarettes that causes problems with blood flow in diabetics and increases infections. So now I'm wondering how much nicotine am I inhaling? Is it just as bad for me as smoking regular cigarettes in the sense that my blood flow is being hindered? I am sure overall it is much safer than smoking real cigarettes. I am simply confused. I have some 16mg and 24 MG juice because I'm still a newb but I am considering buying smaller nicotine concentrations because now I am concerned that I may be inhaling as much nicotine as I do with a regular cigarette.

The amount of nicotine that makes it into the user's bloodstream depends not only on the percent of nicotine in the liquid, but on other factors such as the total quantity of liquid vaporized and how often the user takes puffs.

On a puff-per-puff basis, cigarette smoke delivers from 3 to 10 times more nicotine than vapor from 16 mg. e-liquid. This is based on studies conducted by Dr. Murray Laugesen from Health New Zealand. Ecigarette mist harmless, inhaled or exhaled
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/DublinEcigBenchtopHandout.pdf

The evidence is pointing toward something other than nicotine in cigarette smoke affecting glucose tolerance. The largest body of evidence we have on the effects of nicotine separated from cigarette smoke comes from the decades of research on Swedish users of a spit-free, low-nitrosamine smokeless tobacco product called snus. Being either a smoker or a former smoker elevates risk of Type 2 diabetes. Most studies show that those who use snus exclusively (without ever having smoked) show no increased risk. One study did show an increased risk, but it was based only four cases. All the studies that had larger groups of exclusive snus users show no increased risk. This site has an interesting discussion of the research: Diabetes - Swedish Match

To answer your question, smoking is much worse for cardiovascular health than using a product that delivers nicotine without smoke. Dr. Neal Benowitz is recognized as an expert on nicotine safety and toxicity. His presentation to the FDA on "Risks and Benefits of Long-term Use of NRTs" might relieve some of your worries. He, of course, had to extrapolate his opinion on how safe NRT might be from the research conducted on snus users. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/NewsEvents/UCM232147.pdf

Nicotine raises blood pressure by constricting blood vessels, but this is a temporary effect. Within 20 minutes, blood pressure returns to where it was before the nicotine use. The same thing can be said of exercise.

Nicotine does not cause chronic high blood pressure (hypertension). Nicotine might actually have a protective effect against hypertension. Several studies have shown that within two years of smoking cessation, the former smokers have developed hypertension at a higher rate than continuing smokers.

Of course the continuing smokers are continuing to accumulate smoke-induced damages to lungs, heart, and cells. So continued smoking isn't a recommended preventive treatment for hypertension ;)

Does this help?

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sorry, i have to be blunt.This is One more piece of Nonsense peddled by ecig vendors and caught fancy of ignorant users.

Consuming caffeine in a beverage has no parallel to inhaling nicotine; not even on addictive potential.

Well, this ignorant user has observed that people use nicotine in much the same way that they use caffeine, to help them to:
  • Ward off hunger
  • Relieve stress
  • Improve ability to concentrate
  • Increase alertness
  • Prevent going to sleep at an inopportune time (e.g., while driving a car)

This ignorant user has also been studying the health effects of nicotine for more than 20 years, and found that it is similar to caffeine in many ways:
  • Temporarily increases heart rate and blood pressure (returning to normal within 20 minutes)
  • May very slightly increase risk of MI and stroke--but probably not
  • Triggers withdrawal symptoms when discontinued
  • Does not cause cancer
  • Does not cause intoxication

So, unless you are a pregnant woman, it appears that caffeine and nicotine do have quite smiliar effects. Oh but wait, this news just in:

Too much caffeine during pregnancy may increase the risk of miscarriage, a new study says, and the authors suggest that pregnant women may want to reduce their intake or cut it out entirely.
Pregnancy Problems Tied to Caffeine - New York Times

The addictiveness of nicotine is a matter of some controversy. http://www.tfy.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm

Cigarette smoke contains other chemicals that may contribute to the seemingly higher level of withdrawal symptoms in smokers who quit. Scentists have found something in cigarette smoke that seems to be slowing the breakdown of dopamine.

In addition to not being intoxicating, a difference between caffeine/nicoitne and "drugs of abuse" is tolerance. Caffeine and nicotine users tend to reach a level of daily intake and stay at that level for years and years. In contrast users of street drugs and alcohol tend to require higher and higher doses over time to achieve the desired "high."

This is a report on an interesting experiment that compared the effects of intravenous adminstration of nicotine to the effects of IV administration of caffeine.
Intravenous Nicotine and Caffeine: Subjective and Physiological Effects in ....... Abusers

The point, nopatch, that we ignorant users and greedy sellers are trying to make when we compare caffeine to nicotine is that the level of harm users might experience is quite similar. And it is much, much lower than seen with use of other addictive chemicals.

When the sugeon general stated that nicotine is "as addictive" as hero - ine and coke - cain, he was trying to convey the idea that it is very difficult to stop using nicotine. He did not state that the health effects are identical. NOTE: The ECF automatic censor software substitutes "....." for names of popular drugs.

Coke-cain effects

....... has powerful negative effects on the heart, brain, and emotions. Many ....... users fall prey to addiction, with long-term and life threatening consequences. Even occasional users run the risk of sudden death with ....... use
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/.......-use-and-its-effects

Hero-ine effects

Because ...... suppresses the body and its functions, there is a threat of ...... drug overdose because the user could stop breathing entirely from taking too much. The entire body is slowed down from the effects of ...... and the heart rate drops as well. After taking the drug, addicts remain in a mental fog for several hours, which can lead to other complications as well–including making more poor decisions.
http://.......net/......-effects/......-effects-sub-page-1/......-effects-on-the-body/

Alcohol effects

Long-term effects of consuming large quantities of alcohol, especially when combined with poor nutrition, can lead to permanent damage to vital organs such as the brain and liver. In addition, mothers who drink alcohol during pregnancy may give birth to infants with fetal alcohol syndrome. These infants may suffer from mental ......ation and other irreversible physical abnormalities.
Alcohol | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

Last edited:
Clearly a device with a safety and efficacy profile that relies on nicotine delivery cannot produce maximal benefit if it fails to deliver nicotine reliably to those very folks who might benefit most from it (e.g., EC naive cigarette smokers).

Although I'm glad to see Dr. E clarifying the nicotine delivery "question", he is still working from the assumption that the effectiveness of personal vaporizers / electronic cigarettes depends on reliable nicotine delivery like medicinal NRT. Nicotine delivery only matters to someone who is chemically dependant and/or self-medicating an underlying disorder with nicotine, and not all smokers and/or vapers use nicotine. E-cigarettes cannot be accurately described as "Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems" when the nicotine is optional--that's like referring to coffee as a "Liquid Caffeine Delivery System"...it might sound accurate, but it ignores the existence of decaf.

IMO, the effectiveness of e-cigarettes is more dependent on their ability to delivery a satisfying flavor and vapor than simply delivering nicotine--delivering nicotine MIGHT be an important aspect for many people, but it is certainly not the ONLY aspect and probably not even the most important one...if it was, FDA regulated NRT's would be more than 50% effective. :?:

Does reliable nicotine delivery depend upon device, dose, puff topography, and/or instructional set?

E. None of the Above.

Reliable nicotine delivery from personal vaporizers depends on power regulation. First generation "e-cigarettes" are inconsistent because the power output from rechargeable batteries is not constant. Newer devices with regulated power should deliver a more consistent experience, but the other factors mentioned (device, dose, puff topography, and instructional set) can be adjusted by the user to compensate.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Reliable nicotine delivery from personal vaporizers depends on power regulation. First generation "e-cigarettes" are inconsistent because the power output from rechargeable batteries is not constant. Newer devices with regulated power should deliver a more consistent experience, but the other factors mentioned (device, dose, puff topography, and instructional set) can be adjusted by the user to compensate.
I would definitely agree if we are talking about consistent nicotine delivery.
Reliable nicotine delivery, on the other hand, may or may not involve such a high level of consistency.

When I think about reliable nicotine delivery, I think about nothing more than the damn thing working right.
And that means inhalation technique, an understanding of wicking issues, and an understanding of how to use the device.

So while after the learning curve most are able to achieve reliable nicotine delivery, it still may not be consistent.
In other words, you might be getting a bit more or a bit less from puff to puff, but at least you're getting some.
:)

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
Well, this ignorant user has observed that people use nicotine in much the same way that they use caffeine, to help them to:

That is what stimulants are for.You dont need to reinvent the wheel.

This ignorant user has also been studying the health effects of nicotine for more than 20 years, and found that it is similar to caffeine in many ways:
  • Temporarily increases heart rate and blood pressure (returning to normal within 20 minutes)
  • May very slightly increase risk of MI and stroke--but probably not
  • Triggers withdrawal symptoms when discontinued
  • Does not cause cancer
  • Does not cause intoxication

Wrong on many counts.One should actually rely on scientific studies and not some blogs and personal observations.

So, unless you are a pregnant woman, it appears that caffeine and nicotine do have quite smiliar effects. Oh but wait, this news just in:

Pregnancy Problems Tied to Caffeine - New York Times

That Newyork article also says
But some researchers said morning sickness could lead to confusing results in caffeine studies. These researchers argued that because they feel ill, some women may consume less caffeine. That tendency may make it appear that they are less likely to miscarry because they avoid caffeine, when the reason is actually that they began with healthier pregnancies.

BUT, there was a definitive study on nicotine administration(BY NRT) causing birth defects.Mothers told of nicotine patch link to birth defects | Mail Online

The addictiveness of nicotine is a matter of some controversy. Relative Addictiveness of Drugs (NYT 8/2/94)

Seriously, have you actually read that article in full?.It seems you have a tendency to cherry pick few lines and arriving at some astonishing conclusions.

Cigarette smoke contains other chemicals that may contribute to the seemingly higher level of withdrawal symptoms in smokers who quit. Scentists have found something in cigarette smoke that seems to be slowing the breakdown of dopamine.

In addition to not being intoxicating,

Not intoxicating? wow.

This is a report on an interesting experiment that compared the effects of intravenous adminstration of nicotine to the effects of IV administration of caffeine.
Intravenous Nicotine and Caffeine: Subjective and Physiological Effects in ....... Abusers

There is nothing interesting or relevant about the study where Coc-aine addicts administer Intravenously caffeine and nicotine to AUGMENT coc-aine effects.

The point, nopatch, that we ignorant users and greedy sellers are trying to make when we compare caffeine to nicotine is that the level of harm users might experience is quite similar. And it is much, much lower than seen with use of other addictive chemicals.

You are totally wrong in comparing harm by caffeine drinking with nicotine administration.Period.There are loads of scientific studies that disprove that.
I don't believe somebody is arguing to make a comparison.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
That is what stimulants are for.You dont need to reinvent the wheel.

Psst. Nicotine IS a stimulant.

Wrong on many counts.One should actually rely on scientific studies and not some blogs and personal observations.
What scientific studies are you referring to? This one, perhaps? Safety of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum Used by 3,094 Participants in the Lung Health Study "Results: The rates of hospitalization for cardiovascular conditions and cardiovascular deaths during the 5 years of the study were not related to use of NP, to dose of NP, or to concomitant use of NP and cigarettes. About 25% of NP users reported at least one side effect, but most were very minor and transient. Side effects associated with discontinuance of NP in 5% or more of users included headache, indigestion, mouth irritation, mouth ulcers, and nausea. There was no evidence that concomitant use of NP and cigarettes was associated with elevated rates of reported side effects. Participants in the smoking cessation intervention who received intensive levels of instruction tand monitoring of NP use (initially at 12 meetings during 3 months) appeared to report significantly lower rates of side effects (dizziness, headache, and throat irritation) than control participants, presumed to have less instruction and monitoring."

That Newyork article also says
But some researchers said morning sickness could lead to confusing results in caffeine studies. These researchers argued that because they feel ill, some women may consume less caffeine. That tendency may make it appear that they are less likely to miscarry because they avoid caffeine, when the reason is actually that they began with healthier pregnancies.

BUT, there was a definitive study on nicotine administration(BY NRT) causing birth defects.Mothers told of nicotine patch link to birth defects | Mail Online

Seriously, have you actually read that article in full?.It seems you have a tendency to cherry pick few lines and arriving at some astonishing conclusions.

Here's a cherry for you: Maternal caffeine intake during pregnancy and risk of fetal growth restriction: a large prospective observational study -- 337 -- bmj.com "Conclusions: Caffeine consumption during pregnancy was associated with an increased risk of fetal growth restriction and this association continued throughout pregnancy. Sensible advice would be to reduce caffeine intake before conception and throughout pregnancy"

Not intoxicating? wow.
"Medical Dictionary
in·tox·i·cate definition
Pronunciation: /-sə-ˌkāt/ Function: vt-cat·ed; , -cat·ing; 1 : POISON 2 : to excite or stupefy by alcohol or a drug especially to the point where physical and mental control is markedly diminished"

In what way does nicotine use "excite or stupefy..to the point where physical and mental control is diminished"??

On the contrary, Nicotine is currently being evaluated as a possible performance ENHANCING drug as seen here: Beneficial effects of nicotine - JARVIK - 2006 - British Journal of Addiction - Wiley Online Library "When chronically taken, nicotine may result in: (1) positive reinforcement, (2) negative reinforcement, (3) reduction of body weight, (4) enhancement of performance, and protection against: (5) Parkinson's disease (6) Tourette's disease (7) Alzheimers disease, (8) ulcerative colitis and (9) sleep apnea."

There is nothing interesting or relevant about the study where Coc-aine addicts administer Intravenously caffeine and nicotine to AUGMENT coc-aine effects.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

You are totally wrong in comparing harm by caffeine drinking with nicotine administration.Period.There are loads of scientific studies that disprove that.
I don't believe somebody is arguing to make a comparison.

"loads of scientific studies"? Then it should be easy to find one....Ah, here's one:
"Comparison of Caffeine and Nicotine.
Inspection of Figs. 1 and2 and post hoc comparisons show that nicotine generally produced greater subjective effects than caffeine. To the extent that these differences reflect real differences in maximal efficacy, this study suggests that nicotine produces much more prominent mood-altering effects than caffeine. However, it is also possible that relatively higher doses of nicotine than caffeine were studied. Post hoc comparisons between the intermediate dose of nicotine and the high dose of caffeine showed no significant differences on most subjective measures. Thus, for purposes of evaluating possible qualitative similarities and differences between caffeine and nicotine, it is most appropriate to compare the intermediate dose of nicotine (1.5 mg/70 kg) with the high dose of caffeine (400 mg/70 kg). Inspection of Figs. 1and 2 shows that both of these doses increased ratings of drug effect, good effect, like drug, high, stimulated, and bad effect. The only scale to show differing effects was rating of rush, which was significantly increased by nicotine, but not caffeine. Figures 1 and 2also show that nicotine had a somewhat faster onset time and time to peak effect than caffeine. Nicotine but not caffeine produced dose-related increases in stimulant identifications, with subjects usually identifying it as being ........ As discussed above, this difference in stimulant identification between caffeine and nicotine might be due to the daily administration of oral caffeine in the present study. Finally, caffeine produced dose-related increases in reports of an unusual smell and/or taste, whereas nicotine produced dose-related increases in reports of blurry vision.

With regard to physiological effects, caffeine and nicotine were similar in that both tended to decrease skin temperature and elevate blood pressure. They differed in that heart rate was decreased by caffeine, but increased by nicotine."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Wrong opinion not supported by facts.Coca-ine and Nicotine acts on the same/similar receptors in Brain.

Nicotine and ....... leave similar mark on brain after first contact

Why would you conclude that because they use some of the same brain circuitry that the overall health effects are identical?

The article you cited does not support that viewpoint.

While the subjective effects of nicotine and ....... are very different in humans, the overlapping effects of the two drugs on the reward system of the brain may explain why both are highly addictive substances, the researchers said.

"We know without question that there are big differences in the way these drugs affect people," McGehee said. "But the idea that nicotine is working on the same circuitry as ....... does point to why so many people have a hard time quitting tobacco, and why so many who experiment with the drug end up becoming addicted."

How do the health effects differ?

The drug that begins with "C", according to the US National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) can cause acute cardiovascular or cerebrovascular emergencies, such as a heart attack or stroke, which may cause sudden death. .......-related deaths are often a result of cardiac arrest or seizure followed by respiratory arrest. Also...

Regular intranasal use (snorting) of ......., for example, can lead to loss of the sense of smell; nosebleeds; problems with swallowing; hoarseness; and a chronically runny nose. Ingesting ....... can cause severe bowel gangrene as a result of reduced blood flow. Injecting ....... can bring about severe allergic reactions and increased risk for contracting HIV/AIDS and other blood-borne diseases. Binge-patterned ....... use may lead to irritability, restlessness, and anxiety. ....... abusers can also experience severe paranoia—a temporary state of full-blown paranoid psychosis—in which they lose touch with reality and experience auditory hallucinations.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/........html

In contrast, Dr. Neal Benowitz, editor of the book Nicotine Safety and Toxicity, stated at the FDA's workshop in Risks and Benefits of Long-Term use of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) Products:

Meta-analyses showing increased risk of MI and stroke in ST users are heavily weighted by CPS-I and CPS-II, which are older US studies with many methodologic problems. More recent Swedish studies and an NHANES study indicate minimal if any increased risk of CVD with ST.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/NewsEvents/UCM232147.pdf

NOTE: Since there are few if any studies of long-term use of NRTs, Dr. Benowitz extrapolated from the decades of research on the health effects seen with smokers who switch to a low-nitrosamine smokeless tobacco (ST) product called snus. His presentation also noted, "No evidence that nicotine causes or promotes cancer."

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dr. John Hughes of the University of Vermont School of Psychiatry writes:

Nicotine is not intoxicating

A common criticism of defining smoking as a nicotine dependence is that, unlike other drug dependencies, smoking does not cause intoxication and the related extreme behaviours (for example, crime or violence) [19]. I believe the lack of intoxication from nicotine makes it more addicting, not less addicting. This lack of intoxication allows the smoker to ingest large amounts of a drug without causing social problems, increasing the probability of experiencing beneficial effects or of physical dependence developing. In support of this notion, studies of other drug dependencies clearly indicate intoxication inhibits use in dependent users [20]. Also, many ever users of tobacco become daily users, but fewer ever users of alcohol and ....... do so [21, 22]. This is probably caused, in part, by the limiting effects of alcohol and ....... intoxication.

In addition, I believe this lack of intoxication contributed to society's tacit acceptance of nicotine dependence. One can argue that much of society's response to drug dependence is based on concerns about how a drug user's actions will influence others. Since nicotine does not acutely disrupt families, cause violence, etc, it is easy to see how society would not have a pressing need to intervene or to label nicotine a drug of dependence.

Euphoria is endorsed only 10% of the time while smoking [13] plus very few smokers report euphoria as a reason for smoking [14].

Hughes JR. Why Does Smoking So Often Produce Dependence? A Somewhat Different View. Tobacco Control. Vol. 10: 62-64, Spring 2001

The ICD-10 diagnostic criteria for "intoxication" from various substances specifies:

G2. There must be symptoms or signs of intoxication compatible with the known actions of the particular substance (or substances), as specified below, and of sufficient severity to produce disturbances in the level of consciousness, cognition, perception, affect, or behaviour that are of clinical importance.

F10.0 Acute intoxication due to use of alcohol
There must be dysfunctional behaviour, as evidenced by at least one of the following:
(1) disinhibition;
(2) argumentativeness;
(3) aggression;
(4) lability of mood;
(5) impaired attention;
(6) impaired judgment;
(7) interference with personal functioning.

F14.0: Acute intoxication due to use of coke-cain
There must be dysfunctional behaviour or perceptual abnormalities, as evidenced by at least one of the following:
(1) euphoria and sensation of increased energy;
(2) hypervigilance;
(3) grandiose beliefs or actions;
(4) abusiveness or aggression;
(5) argumentativeness;
(6) lability of mood;
(7) repetitive stereotyped behaviours;
(8) auditory, visual, or tactile illusions;
(9) hallucinations, usually with intact orientation;
(10)paranoid ideation;
(11)interference with personal functioning

F17.0 Acute intoxication due to use of tobacco [acute nicotine intoxication]
There must be dysfunctional behaviour or perceptual abnormalities, as evidenced by at least one of the following:
(1) Insomnia;
(2) bizarre dreams;
(3) lability of mood;
(4) derealization;
(5) interference with personal functioning.

http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/ICD10ResearchDiagnosis.pdf

Insomnia and bizarre dreams are not behaviors. They are physical symptoms. Most smokers and tobacco users do not experience any dysfunctional behavior, cognitive impairments, or perceptual abnormalities -- unless they attempt to abstain from nicotine intake.

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
NIDA via Elaine said:
Regular intranasal use (snorting) of ......., for example, can lead to loss of the sense of smell; nosebleeds; problems with swallowing; hoarseness; and a chronically runny nose. Ingesting ....... can cause severe bowel gangrene as a result of reduced blood flow. Injecting ....... can bring about severe allergic reactions and increased risk for contracting HIV/AIDS and other blood-borne diseases. Binge-patterned ....... use may lead to irritability, restlessness, and anxiety. ....... abusers can also experience severe paranoia—a temporary state of full-blown paranoid psychosis—in which they lose touch with reality and experience auditory hallucinations.

I haven't read this whole thread, and this comment really has nothing to do with this thread, but UGH! This is the problem with drug education (legal and illegal) in the US. They rightly state that the practice of injecting an illicit drug intravenously raises the risk of the user contracting a blood-borne illness. However, the way it's worded makes it sound like the drug itself is the problem, when the reality is that it's the culture surrounding the use of the drug that causes the problem. It's the sharing of dirty needles that raises the risk of contracting HIV, not the injection of a drug on its own.
Language is a powerful weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread