E-Cigarettes, Miracle or Menace? BBC Horizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
The thing I found most intriguing was the people who used e-cigs in the test group were given basic ego set ups (possible 2nd gen devices) but Dr Mosley used a nautilus and an evic mini(?) which are both more advanced devices.

How much easier would the vapers have found it if they had been given more up to date equipment?

Very good video and appreciate that it was made and distributed. Will share! :)

However, like Big Me I find a discrepancy in vaping devices used between the good doctor and the testing participants disconcerning. I also wonder if there was attention paid between mouth to lung and direct to lung inhales. Here is one place where "never smokers" as researchers have no idea, don't know what to ask, and can skew figures.

I myself am mostly "mouth and out" ex-smoker and present vaper. Could be a very good reason why my 53 years of smoking didn't damage me as much as someone inhaling into lungs. Only into my late 60's did I start to experience coughing when sleeping .......and laughing! Now nearly 3 yrs. later have no problems with either......and laugh as much as I can! :)

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
:thumbs:Thanks, very well presented and interesting to see NRT's and e cigs produced similar results in their testing-I find that somewhat dubious since NRT's generally have a much lower success rate.

I tried further searching for the lab results on more e liquid flavorings by this same laboratory in the UK without much success-(Matcha Gurevich e cigarette flavor testing)

EDIT- Probably because I have no idea how to correctly spell his name!

Last edited:
Reactions: Katmar

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Quotes :

"I think they have a great potential to save millions of lives over the next twenty , thirty years."

"They could turn out to be one of the greatest, perhaps "the" gretest even, Public health innovations of our generation !."

"When i set out to vape for a month i was worried i'd get hooked on nicotine. But i haven't begun to crave it at all !."

"Research in animals suggest that nicotine is more addictive when it's delivered in combination with other chemicals found in regular cigarettes. So it may be that vaping is less addictive than smoking".

"We are seeing an increase in experimentation, err, with electronic cigarettes among young people, say eleven to eighteen, erm, what we are not seeing is regular use among young people who are never smokers".

"That might be because actually when young people use these products they might be appealing but they are not as addictive as a tobacco cigarette, i think they're quite different !".

"So when it comes to helping smokers quit, e cigarettes, like nicotine replacement therapy, are far more effective than going cold turkey".

"Most people on the e cigarettes were not keen to keep using them for ever and ever".

"Their goal was essentially to give it up entirely. They didn't see it as a sort of bridge or an alternative or one way to just keep on inhaling nicotine. Their plan was eradication".

"It seems to me that whether e cigarettes are good news or not really depends on how they're used".

"The evidence suggests that vaping is far safer than smoking. And is also an effective way to help you quit".

"Vaping does seem to cause some harm to our bodies. But in the short term the risks appear to be low".

"The one thing that science can't yet answer is "what are the long term effects. On this there is no consensus."

"Books and PHD's and movies will be made about how was it possible that people from within public health are vigorously opposed to something which provides such a huge public health benefit".

"Clearly if you're not a smoker then taking up vaping is a stupid thing to do !".

"But if i was a smoker, then despite the uncertainties and potential downsides, i would certainly give it a go."

"Worldwide there are currently around a billion smokers. And about half of them will be killed by their habit. If e cigarettes can win a significant share of the trillion dollar tobacco market this could transform the worlds health".

Great job, Evan, posting the highlights and important quotes!! :)

Reactions: evan le'garde

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
If i were to sum up the contents of Michael Mosley's "E-cigarettes, miracle or menace ?" i would say that some important points were made and many questions answered. Fundamentally that e cigs are 95% safer to use than tobacco cigarettes.

The audience who watched this show should now be better informed if they weren't already.

I just hope they were listening and taking mental notes.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Would like to know how long they consider long term is.

I think we have people that have been vaping for almost 10 years. There still aren't any diseases or illnesses that can be attributed to vaping, that we know of.

If they kill the industry now, they will never be able to ascertain any data.

Smokers know the risks yet still continue to smoke. Vapers know that there 'could' be risk but we choose this 95% safer alternative.

The video was uplifting in the hope department but I saw things where some bias was still under the surface. Especially with the guy that was measuring vapor in a closed chamber.

Realistically, how small was that room? Did he encourage large volumes of vapor? His statement with regards to glycerin with a 'we just don't know'. I felt like he really wanted to find something......anything that he could point to and say 'this is bad for bystanders'. I'm sorry but that was the impression I got.

Overall it was a fair piece of reporting. I could also see where nanny staters could twist some things.

I have mixed feelings on this piece.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
The testing was only for a month. How long do people use the NRT's to stay quit? If they quit those too, do they use those instead of cigs a few yrs. down the line when the "urge" gets to be too much?

Since I never planned on quitting cigs, I was "broadsided" by their ease and effectiveness without trying. So, vaping became a subsitiute for me rather than a "quit method." I do not plan on quitting vaping too. It may happen. It may not. If I do quit vaping, I won't toss my gear 'cause I've watched people dear to me take up smoking again after 5-10 yrs. of quitting.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
His statement with regards to glycerin with a 'we just don't know'. I felt like he really wanted to find something......anything that he could point to and say 'this is bad for bystanders'. I'm sorry but that was the impression I got.

My immediate thought when viewing that same section was similar to yours, however he mentions both PG and VG and we all know there has been much research and use of both in both medical and entertainment fields for many years because they are considered safe to inhale. Only PG has been associated with antibacterial applications whilst, at the same time, causing some irritation of mucus membranes in those with sensitivities to it. Yes, I was also taken back by his statements.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Regarding the "experiment" - obviously this is interesting stuff, but it is of course a small sample, and there's always the Hawthorn effect to contend with.

But even in this small sample, the main thing that I hope comes over to non-vaping watchers is the sheer difficulty that the cold turkey group had versus NRT and Nicotine.

Smokers don't get a lot of sympathy these days, and I hope this encourages the more empathic observer to realise just how important e-cigs are.

Dudeus Nordicus

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Some ways away from koala forests
Quotes :

"Research in animals suggest that nicotine is more addictive when it's delivered in combination with other chemicals found in regular cigarettes. So it may be that vaping is less addictive than smoking".

Naturally extracted nicotine from tobacco (NET) is likewise likely to be slightly more addictive than pure nicotine, or caffeine to that matter. Instead of going for my vape gear, the first for me in the morning involves a dash for the coffee jar!

It just happens that besides sharing nicotine's mild addiction causing potential, caffeine is also considered to have moderate neuroprotective and nootropic effects while being highly toxic in concentrated form.

What?? Caffeine and nicotine have very similar effects??

Here's an idea: let's ban coffee makers and outright criminalize the possession of espresso machines. :danger:

Consumption of caffeine should be naturally be banned in public places.

Coffee should only be available through Big Pharma's licenced outlets, in tiny packages and complete with warning labels and images of caffeine-crazed zombies. Each single variant of coffee should naturally go through a multi-million €€€/$$$/£££ safety testing before entering the controlled marketplace.

You get the drift...

The more corrupt the institution, the more determined they are to make vaping unavailable (Hello USA, India, tobacco-growing South-America, "People's republics" of all ilks etc.). While I support most aspects of the European Union, there are some areas of horrible overreach and the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) is one of the worst examples. Of course the Tobacco and Pharma lobbies have had local legislatures infiltrated and bribed for decades already so this is just them singing in unison from the old songbook. We need to name and shame the industry stooges (who voted for TPD) at the local level everywhere.

Interestingly, while I don't much care for the anachronistic English system involving the priviledged Lords, I just came across another "tube clip" involving a recent session of their's where well-informed pro-vaping "lords" rip into the proposed "tobacco directive"...

The first 10 minutes or so are enough to get the gist of the session. :pop:

Even the gov't stooge at the end of the session seemed genuinely apologetic about the directive. MPs and MEPs across Europe could learn a trick or two from those old geezers! :thumbs:

Anyway, Mosley's documentary is about as good publicity as we could hope for, despite leaving a few areas grey, and I hope it gets broadcast by local channels all over Europe and beyond.

Here's a final thought: The entire planet is struggling with dual epidemics of obesity and dementia. Moderate nicotine use is shown to control appetite/cravings while increasing body metabolism (= weight loss) and offering some protection against dementia and Alzheimers.

What should any decent government do? :rolleyes:

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
Overall it was a fair piece of reporting. I could also see where nanny staters could twist some things.

I have mixed feelings on this piece

I agree Robin, positive but with an undercurrent I found worring.

11 minutes a cig... :lol: I call bull

The UK is much more progressive than the US on this topic...

Fixed that for ya. :D

Reactions: Robino1

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Would like to know how long they consider long term is.

Welp, at 62yrs old...........I am no candidate for that research. However I feel I am a candidate for the effects of Switching from Smoking to Vaping. I have experienced many positive changes in the past 4 years. :)

Thank you Oliver, for sharing this Excellent Documentary. I have linked to my FB and asked that everyone Share this with those they know and those they love.

Come on Folks........... Start a - It went Viral.......incident :D

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I watched it and I have to say that on the whole the Brits have a far more balanced approach to it than the powers that be here in the states. Here they are all about demonizing vaping so that it can be monopolized by BT, and to save BP's profits as well. When it comes to nicotine patches let's be real about it. Vaping is a lot more enjoyable and satisfying than slapping on a patch! As for BT, well they just want to own vaping, have a monopoly on nicotine, and load it up with the thousands of evil poisonous chemicals they now put in cigarettes, returning us all right back to where we were before vaping. The are outright reptiles.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread