E-cigs and Environmentalists

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubnluvn

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
San Diego, Ca
Cigarettes are the most littered item in the world. It dawned on me recently, thanks to that little tracker in my sig, that aside from all the benefits we usually talk and preach about we are also doing a great service to the environment. It can take up to 10 years or longer for a cigarette filter to decompose. On top of that, they leach all those nasty chemicals into the ground or wherever they are discarded. If I was still smoking analogs, which I would be if not for e-cigs, I would have discarded 1900+ cigarette filters that would be destined for landfills. Between my wife and I, the number over 4000 and we're only talking a couple of months. Collectively, on this board alone, that number becomes astronmical and powerful.

I'm curious if environmental activist groups have been made aware of the deep, positive impact e-cigarettes have on the physical environment? Having an ally such as that would bring more publicity and political muscle. Any thoughts?

Cielo

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Florida
While I certainly agree with everything you just said, it has made me think about pv's.

1. What about our metal atomizers/carts? Are we able to recycle them in any way? What IS the proper way of disposing of them and old batteries?

2. Also, what about empty juice bottles or old filling that may contain some nicotine in them. Does nicotine hurt the environment when put into a landfill? Is it best we rinse them out first?

dubnluvn

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
San Diego, Ca
Excellent points.

As for the batteries, I'm pretty sure the best way to dispose/recycle them is just as you would regular batteries. There is a battery recycling bin in our city hall. It would be excellent to see manufacturers and/or resellers include information on this, however.

Atomizers are metal and ceramic, both completely recyclable. I'd put mine in the recycle bin.

I'm assuming carts are fairly easily recyclable. Again, I'd like to see manufacturers include a recycling code with them to show how recyclable they are. My guess is that they have a 2 rating.

The bottles are something I've been pondering too. Again, recycling codes on the bottles or info posted on supplier's websites would be helpful. What I'd really like to see is a discount for sending in your empty and cleaned bottles back to your supplier. I reuse a lot of my bottles but I still have a handful that I don't and probably won't use any longer. It would be great to get an additional discount for having your supplier refill your old bottles.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread