Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I was posting this in the health forum, but might as well here. So looks like there are new studdies that have suffaced about vaping and cancer. I am bumbed out as I dont know what/who to believe anymore. Shooken me up enought that I havent vaped in a day and a bit now. Trying to see if I can stop this habbit now, although it makes me sad. What do you guys think of this:

Bad news: Vaping nicotine linked to lung cancer in mice

Researchers find e-cigarettes cause lung cancer in mice in first study tying vaping to cancer
:(
The study being referenced by the first article:
Electronic-cigarette smoke induces lung adenocarcinoma and bladder urothelial hyperplasia in mice

The researchers all have chinese names, which implies but does not actually show the study as being chinese in origin.

Importantly though there is a shortage of other pertinent information in the abstract:

1: where the study was actually done and who funded it. This is critical
2: “mice” is totally insufficient. There are all sorts of breeds of mice. Many of them specifically bioengineered to do specific things.
3: “ECS” what was the formulation? There isn’t just one “ECS”

Over the last ten years I have been watching things there have been a slew of small badly flawed studies funded by BT, generally through Italy because of a convenient law there blocking how far money can be followed. This study has many hallmarks of those. It also directly conflicts with the results of other studies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
So whats the deal with salts then? What are the purpose of that? Im so out of it. But this is the thing even with these pods that have the vitamin E in it. Someone thought it was a good idea and then some people died. This crap just needs to get regulated and monitored. I dont know what the hold out is for that.

At least in Ontario/ Toronto, the proposed licensing regulations will deal with 'youth vaping epidemic' by greater restrictions akin to old tobacco regulations (including ad bans). As far as e-Liquid, Health Canada already inspects (and thoroughly samples) e-liquid for registered/ licensed vendors with proper laboratory facilities; nobody else is allowed to legally manufacture and sell e-liquid.

Last edited:

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
Electronic-cigarette smoke induces lung adenocarcinoma and bladder urothelial hyperplasia in mice

The researchers all have chinese names, which implies but does not actually show the study as being chinese in origin.

Importantly though there is a shortage of other pertinent information in the abstract:

2: “mice” is totally insufficient. There are all sorts of breeds of mice. Many of them specifically bioengineered to do specific things.

Over the last ten years I have been watching things there have been a slew of small badly flawed studies funded by BT, generally through Italy because of a convenient law there blocking how far money can be followed. This study has many hallmarks of those. It also directly conflicts with the results of other studies.

Hmm some great observations there I hadnt considered. Thanks for pointing those out. Why I still come to visit this site from time to time :)

Well Ive managed to make it though an entire work day without hitting the vape for at total of 27 hours. Gonna see how long I can go without cracking. But even if I do, I would totally grab for my vape first over a cigarette. (been 8 years since Ive touched one of those). Good thing is ive shown myself I can make it this long without stabbing someone lol. Or I'll be a social vaper/only at home.

Thanks for support all. One thing Ive always admired about vaping was this community.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto

Im very picky where I would buy my liquid and always ensured in the past to stock up and when running low to put in an order way before Id run out. I get mine from rainbow vapour, and believe if not mistaken they were one of the first to openly work with health Canada regarding their liquids and sending them lab reports of samples they had sent off. I always feel comfortable and confident buying from them.

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hmm some great observations there I hadnt considered. Thanks for pointing those out. Why I still come to visit this site from time to time :)

Well Ive managed to make it though an entire work day without hitting the vape for at total of 27 hours. Gonna see how long I can go without cracking. But even if I do, I would totally grab for my vape first over a cigarette. (been 8 years since Ive touched one of those). Good thing is ive shown myself I can make it this long without stabbing someone lol. Or I'll be a social vaper/only at home.

Thanks for support all. One thing Ive always admired about vaping was this community.
GL! If you DIY one backup option might be to mix yourself up some unprotonated unflavored “hand cream”

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Vaping retailers may soon require licences to sell in Toronto

Carleton Grant, the city’s executive director of Municipal Licensing and Standards, said the growth in the vaping industry is what has made this move necessary.

Grant said the new licenses will affect the approximately 78 vape specialty shops operating in the city the most. Each will be required to apply for the new license before being able to continue their sales.

Of the roughly 1,400 other locations in the city that sell vape products, including gas stations and tobacco shops, Grant said it will be a different process. The locations that already have licenses to sell tobacco will be required to register with the city that they are selling vape products at no additional cost.

If city council opts to go the licensing route, retail locations would have to get the proper paperwork by April 1, 2020. Grant said once that date hits, the city would try to educate locations operating without a license before issuing fines.

See also ...
At Provincial level ...

Specialty vape shops were already required to be licenced and were subjected to inspection from TEO (Tobacco Enforcement Officers….the men in black!). Those selling tobacco were also required to be licenced, and given vape products also falls under the tobacco licence, they were allowed to sell vape products. And again, subjected to TEO inspections.

The Ontario Guidelines that you posted was published Nov 2018, when the laws came into effect, but modified (spell checked) June 2019

What they need to do is enforce the laws they have put in place. Obviously this will be a challenge given the amount of c-stores and gas stations in Ontario. As I noted above, I have not seen a single c-store within Toronto with the “tobacco sold to minors” infraction sign posted in their windows indicating they were not compliant to the existing laws. Seen many of liquor infractions so obviously officials are checking bars and restaurants.

I walked the Danforth the other day, some teeny-bopper band playing at the Danforth music hall – little buggers were lined up for a mile. Few smoking cigarettes, not one was vaping….at least when I walked by. Security for crowd control, but not a single police officer

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
What they need to do is enforce the laws they have put in place. Obviously this will be a challenge given the amount of c-stores and gas stations in Ontario. As I noted above, I have not seen a single c-store within Toronto with the “tobacco sold to minors” infraction sign posted in their windows indicating they were not compliant to the existing laws. Seen many of liquor infractions so obviously officials are checking bars and restaurants.

I walked the Danforth the other day, some teeny-bopper band playing at the Danforth music hall – little buggers were lined up for a mile. Few smoking cigarettes, not one was vaping….at least when I walked by. Security for crowd control, but not a single police officer

Yes, better enforcement is definitely needed at Provincial level ... kinda tough with recent budget cuts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect the proposed licensing for gas stations, et al, at municipal level is to add dynamic fine-tuned restrictions for license renewal as well as enforcement.

Update: Toronto committee moves to enforce vaping licenses amid health concerns

After public consultations wrapped up last month, city officials are pushing forward with plans to enforce licenses for retailers selling vaping products.

The general government and licensing committee officially signed off Monday on a set of recommendations that would require vaping retailers to buy a license from the city.

The committee is now waiting on approval from city council. The decision is expected to be made by the end of the month.

The committee’s report said that a licensing requirement will allow the city to enforce the Smoke-Free Ontario Act, which regulates vapour product use and sales in Ontario
.​

Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
How dangerous is vaping? What we know about its health risks

According to Dr. David Hammond, a professor of public health at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, most of the severe vaping-related illnesses are likely due to contamination. Hammond’s research focuses largely on nicotine, drug and public health policy.

“The CDC, through some of the testing, has identified that in some of the THC products people used is what would be considered a contaminant,” Hammond told Global News.

“The working hypothesis is that at least some — possibly most — of these cases are not involving nicotine, and are likely due to some sort of contaminant; something in there that shouldn’t normally be in there.”

In other words, Hammond says this likely means poor manufacturing and bad batches of products may be a factor in the outbreak.​
You know, you'd think you would be bolding the part where it says that this is CAUSED BY THC PRODUCTS, rather than what you did, that furthers the lie that this is from nicotine-vaping. Strange.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Click on the pdf link on that page you're linked to and download the entire article. You will then have answers to your questions.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
ECS - electronic cigarette smoke.....
The article in the link constantly refers to vapour as smoke. Either these scientists are ignorant of correct terminology (which opens a whole new can of worms) or there's more to the study than meets the eye.
At this point i have decided to refer to all scientists as bicycles. Close enough.

Reactions: AttyPops

Pigs

Vaping
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2019
Sydney Australia
First known Canadian case of vaping-related illness reported in London, Ont.

At the press conference, officials released little information about the case, including keeping the patient’s gender hidden. The individual was using an e-cigarette “at least daily,” Mackie said. While health officials are aware of the brand of vape being used and whether or not the person was vaping a nicotine or cannabis product, they did not wish to disclose it publicly.

“That would imply that this was something coming from one brand, when clearly, looking at the international evidence, that’s not the case,” Mackie said.
This press conference is shown and discussed on Dashvapes youtube channel. Worth watching.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
If it's not Lung Illnesses and Deaths, it's about the kids, it's not going away, while we have 'Fake News' and Politicians who don't give a Flying ****.

Kids vape for the nic hit, which is why they use things like Juul. If there was only Dog Poop flavor they'd vape that. I still say ban closed pod systems and nic salts, I know some don't agree, but oh well.

The illnesses and death are from THC carts which the media and politicians conveniently forget every chance they get.

Please remember we have a Rally in DC November 9th, the more people we have there, the more coverage we will get. If you can attend please do, if you can't and want to help go to the unitedvapersalliance.org where if you can afford it you can donate. They are trying to put on buses, get eqpt etc for the rally.

Reactions: AttyPops

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
If it's not Lung Illnesses and Deaths, it's about the kids, it's not going away, while we have 'Fake News' and Politicians who don't give a Flying ****.

Kids vape for the nic hit, which is why they use things like Juul. If there was only Dog Poop flavor they'd vape that. I still say ban closed pod systems and nic salts, I know some don't agree, but oh well.

The illnesses and death are from THC carts which the media and politicians conveniently forget every chance they get.

Please remember we have a Rally in DC November 9th, the more people we have there, the more coverage we will get. If you can attend please do, if you can't and want to help go to the unitedvapersalliance.org where if you can afford it you can donate. They are trying to put on buses, get eqpt etc for the rally.

Nic Salts are new to me, I havent really kept up with anything. It was until very recently that I stopped using my kanger protank 3 mini and switched to a Zenith. But this is the .... that scares me about vaping we dont know, there is "inovation" but is it screwing us up"

I never liked the idea of closed pods / prefilled anything. I can see tho from a typical end user somone whos been smoking for years and wants to quit but doenst care to be on a forum point of view, they want something than can buy and use right way, no learning curve perse.

mel_vin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2010
Toronto
Meh yeah I did...he was a smoker too, so was my older brother and sister. I certainly had it around me and could easily get my hands on cigarettes by sneaking a few here and there. Once I got busted by my dad, he just shook his head in disapointment and said, "Ah man, you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into". At the time had no idea what he meant, but I sure as heck do now.

Reactions: englishmick

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's correct and look how good their kids behave :p
like they’re afraid a single word out of place could send their whole family out of the city and into the countryside which is basically one gigantic death camp? It’s one way to do it I guess.
Perhaps Kim can run against Mr.Trump it would be good to have someone slightly to the Right of Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and AOC ;)
Ah. Because he’s “communist” even though he’s actually a traditional hereditary monarch in all but name. Ignoring what words actually mean is a commonality of late. It would be a more friendly race I suspect. Trump apparently “loves” the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread