E-Juice Liquids - What Percentages to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
Hi all, I'm starting out as a DIY e-juice maker, and I know with the different manufacturers the percentages will vary, so I was hoping that someone out there can give me some help with a list of the vendors I have compiled.
Or give me a link to an already compiled list, that's way easier! :thumb:
Here is my compiled list so far, I think it's pretty comprehensive.
LB -
FE -
TFA -
CAP -
FW -
RF -
OOO -
DIYFS -
FA -
FLV -
FM -
FE -
(FRA)- M -
Flavour Revolution -
HS -
INW -
JF -
LA -
MB -
MF -
PUR -
(RAW) - M -
(REK) - M -
Stixx Mixx -
VT -
Wonder Flavours -
Local Concentrates -
ZA -
Many thanks o vape juive gurus in advance, and I hope you're having an awesome Saturday!!
Regards,

RaisedFist:evil:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Even within vendors, percentages will vary from flavor to flavor. You have quite a list there. Do you have all these?

My resource is ELR and I entered all my flavors into their database (My Flavor Stash). There you can see what most mixers will use, and based on what flavors you have, what other mixers have created; as well as the ratings by their peers.

Unfortunately, we cannot link to that website from here, though screen grabs are allowed.
    Just do a Google search for ELR Recipes, it should be the top result.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    Oi....

There are some brands that tend to be more concentrated than others. Flavorah tends to be stronger. But there is a lot of variation from flavor to flavor and with different companies.
    Big 2nd on the E-L-R website/calculator's flavor notes, invaluable.
    I think most companies have a general recommendation for their flavorings, some for each flavor, some more across the board. Try finding their website.
    One issue with that is some people like liquids (mixes usually) with 20% or more flavoring, others prefer less than 10% or even less than 5%.
    The flavor companies' percentages often seem pretty high to me, too strong.

n00bVape

Jul 19, 2019
    Netherlands, the
    I agree that it's mostly just personal preference. For example, I'm a menthol vaper and the recommended % for TPA Menthol is 5-10%...no way that I'm going to add more then 4%, which is already pretty strong for my taste!
    But then again, that's the fun of mixing isn't it? Just try with a lower % as you can always add more if needed ;-)

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Thanks for that!
    And no, I don't have those vendors, but they are all within the website that I will be buying the bulk of my supplies from. :)
    Thanks for that info, I'm checking it out right now!! ;)

Just a warning, though;

ELR is not a secure site and is inhabited by recipe pirates. Enter at your own risk. :shock::evil:

CublalaLand

Moved On
    Jun 26, 2019
    Some flavors act completely differently than others. It depends on what they're suspended in, and what they're bonded to. There's really no way to know how a substance will react with given components, until the 'juice is squirted into the bottle' as it were. It's a no-spellcheck zone.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    Wow, so much info!!
    I've been a part of a few forums and I'm used to getting one or two replies and they are usually two or three lines long. :w00t:
    You guys ROCK!
    Thanks for all the info, it's now 5 days till I get paid and place my order for all my equipment and concentrates and such, I'm so excited, like a kid waiting for xmas!!
    Again, all the info, guidance and encouragment is much appreciated!
    Love and respect,

Raised Fist:thumbs::thumbs:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Wow, so much info!!
    I've been a part of a few forums and I'm used to getting one or two replies and they are usually two or three lines long. :w00t:
    You guys ROCK!
    Thanks for all the info, it's now 5 days till I get paid and place my order for all my equipment and concentrates and such, I'm so excited, like a kid waiting for xmas!!
    Again, all the info, guidance and encouragment is much appreciated!
    Love and respect,

Raised Fist:thumbs::thumbs:

If I may offer some advice, the temptation will be to get as much as you can afford. It’ll all look SO interesting!

Get all the basics, nic, pg, vg, something to measure with, bottles to put it in. And find 3-4 recipes to try, and start off with flavors for those.

There will always be flavors you can buy later. And it’s fun getting vape mail, even if it’s only 5-6 flavors.

Get sample size flavors to start. I know it’s cheaper per ml to get 120 ml bottles, but 10-15 mls go a long way.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    If I may offer some advice, the temptation will be to get as much as you can afford. It’ll all look SO interesting!

Get all the basics, nic, pg, vg, something to measure with, bottles to put it in. And find 3-4 recipes to try, and start off with flavors for those.

There will always be flavors you can buy later. And it’s fun getting vape mail, even if it’s only 5-6 flavors.

Get sample size flavors to start. I know it’s cheaper per ml to get 120 ml bottles, but 10-15 mls go a long way.

This is great advice! @RaisedFist , like most aspects of vaping, there is so much choice in mixing liquid it's easy to get lost. Constantly chasing the next new-to-you flavor. You've probably already got a few store bought juices in mind that you want to mimic. What are your 3 favorite flavors ever? If you can find recipes for them, try to make them. Find a recipe for something else you think you might like but wouldn't normally go for as a fourth, and experiment with the leftovers.

And definitely start with the smallest size you can get until you know you like the stuff, flavorings or finished eliquid. Depending on how much you are making, a 10ml bottle can last quite a while.
    Samples!!

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    LOL!
    I have found the recipe for my favorite juice, Strawberry Jam Monster, and I already sorced the recipe for it, and I have my order ready to go for when I get paied in 5 days, which includes 20 10ml bottles, because I intend on making a few different experiments! :banana:
    I was also wondering, this whole steeping thing, I've found a whole bunch of techniques on how to steep quickly, but I just wanted to ask all of you, what's your thoughts on fast steeping and how do you do it?
    And can I just use a fresh mixed juice in a vape, or will it just taste like :censored:?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    LOL!
    I have found the recipe for my favorite juice, Strawberry Jam Monster, and I already sorced the recipe for it, and I have my order ready to go for when I get paied in 5 days, which includes 20 10ml bottles, because I intend on making a few different experiments! :banana:
    I was also wondering, this whole steeping thing, I've found a whole bunch of techniques on how to steep quickly, but I just wanted to ask all of you, what's your thoughts on fast steeping and how do you do it?
    And can I just use a fresh mixed juice in a vape, or will it just taste like :censored:?
    I don't fast steep, myself. Most mixes will taste fine right away, but some may be extra strong, alcoholly ot perfumey, chemically (these are just general off notes). Some flavors will seem weak at first in a mix but will develope with steeping, like cheesecake won't taste like more than cream at first. Some flavors don't need much steeping, sometimes different from company to company.
    I have a Lemon Meringue Tart that is good as a shake-and-vape, but really gets full bodied and rich with age, custard notes and crust, and the lemon is too strong at first but smooths out.
    I like to steep my liquids about a month in a box with occasional shaking.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    I don't fast steep, myself. Most mixes will taste fine right away, but some may be extra strong, alcoholly ot perfumey, chemically (these are just general off notes). Some flavors will seem weak at first in a mix but will develope with steeping, like cheesecake won't taste like more than cream at first. Some flavors don't need much steeping, sometimes different from company to company.
    I have a Lemon Meringue Tart that is good as a shake-and-vape, but really gets full bodied and rich with age, custard notes and crust, and the lemon is too strong at first but smooths out.
    I like to steep my liquids about a month in a box with occasional shaking.
    Awesome!
    Thanks for the info, I'm dying to test this all out for myself, there is a Kentucky bourbon concentrate out there calling my name :evil:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    LOL!

I’ve tried heat steeping but found no benefit.

Some flavors will taste okay to vape right away, and even if they don’t there’s no harm in it - unless they are alcohol based. Might just be me, but I can’t stand those until they’ve been left open to evaporate a bit.

I got a tiny immersion blender that fits in the bottles. I swear that cuts my steep time in half, but you don’t want to get a lot of air bubbles in the mix, so keep the end submerged while blending.

You will want to keep notes on every aspect of mixing so you can replicate it.

Date everything. Test everything as often as you can. I do once a week for two months on new flavors. Which reminds me, start off with single flavors so you know how each develops and can get a good idea if percentages to use

Anything cream or vanilla is likely to take a while to steep, while fruits and candy flavors are pretty quick. Some say they’re shake n vape, but I find even those are better in 2-3 days.

I’m not sure if you’ve already said, but if you don’t have a dripper you may want to get one to test flavors. That makes it really easy - and cheap! - to change out cotton for each juice if you need to. I often make several of similar profiles, and can just test all of them without changing cotton.

Caution: RDAs May spoil you because you won’t get better flavor anywhere else.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread