Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Here's the thing. Just like some ejuice flavors would react (chemically) with cheap plastics of old, (much like mixing vinegar and baking soda causes a chemical reaction) they can also react with cheap paints..

Thing is, we've known this for years! it was known long before I started vaping, and I've been vaping for years.

What the company apparently doesn't want to say, is that they know there is a known problem and simply refuse to compensate for the problem by using a better finish, one which doesn't react poorly with some ejuices..

Here's the thing though, the drag is inexpensive and it's apparent from this one of the reasons why is that they are using cheap paints for their finish. I guess its a give and take when the price point is so low, and I'd certainly rather the problem be the finish (which can be sanded down ourselves) than the board or other key components, but I'm disappointed in a company who won't at least take responsibility for their own cost cutting measures.

I guess perhaps we shouldn't expect them to say " oh, we use cheaper paint to keep costs low" but it sure would be nice!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I don't think e-juice rots too much of anything.

Au contraire. E-liquids (especially tank crackers) have been known to affect various plastics and finishes for years. In the "early days" of vaping, there were certain flavors you just didn't use in the plastic clearo's.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Liability has kept companies from owning mistakes/dumb decisions. I get that. Always someone wanting to make a buck.

It's little things though. If someone owns a screw up I have much more respect for them then the one that makes an excuse.

These chips aren't killing me. A topic yesterday prompted me to question them. I would have accepted a "whoops" or "what'd ya expect for $60?". This I found lazy.

And funny.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thanks Retired1, I haven't experienced a tank cracking juice yet so I tend not to think about that.

Anna

That's because manufacturers changed the materials they used in/for tanks once the problem was known... it's something you will likely never see now as a result.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
That's because manufacturers changed the materials they used in/for tanks once the problem was known... it's something you will likely never see now as a result.

Well, sorta kinda. Depends on how "old school" one tends to be. :D

I have to be careful on what I use in my original RSSTs (plastic tank). The newer glass ones are worry free, though. And you can still get those gas station rigs that include the venerable CE4 clearomizers which are still extremely prone to cracking with certain e-liquids.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well, sorta kinda. Depends on how "old school" one tends to be. :D

I have to be careful on what I use in my original RSSTs (plastic tank). The newer glass ones are worry free, though. And you can still get those gas station rigs that include the venerable CE4 clearomizers which are still extremely prone to cracking with certain e-liquids.

I started vaping with the ce4's, and honestly I never had a problem with my cinnamon roll type flavors. It may have been the flavors I was using never had enough cinnamon or other flavors to cause the same reaction, and it may be I saw those ce4's as a disposable part and put on a new one every week or so, but I never encountered the problem earlier tanks had..

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Cinnamon, citrus, pineapple and some mint flavors were a death sentence for polycarbonate tanks like the Evod.

MBV had a running list of tank crackers.

E-Juice Flavors That May Break a Plastic Tank - Mt Baker Vapor

It's no stretch to see those flavors degrading the finishes of our devices.

Some of the manufacturers are now coating their devices with ceramic stuff that's scratch and juice resistant.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Well now, I have something to think about. Bought a mod that I'm going to refinish.

Was planning a candy coat with a couple coats of clear polycarbonate.

Will have to see if juice has any effect on that.

Your probably going to have better luck with various heat safe ceramic paints..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread