The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

E-juice rots Drag Metal...!?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by jfcooley, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jfcooley

jfcooley I find your lack of faith disturbing... Verified Member ECF Veteran

Can't post the screen shot, forgot about personal communications rule (my bad).

I sent Voopoo a message on FB with a pic of my Drags paint chipping asking why this was happening.

The reply was that "ejuice rots metal".

Think about that.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    No, it may mess up paint though. It would take something seriously caustic to "rot metal".

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. jfcooley

At first thought it was my wedding band chipping it, but it's only on one side.

Don't think I expected much from them, but certainly didn't think they'd claim it was rotting the metal, lol.

Hope my lungs are ok./s

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Google Translate strikes again. Metal is fine. Paint, eh.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jfcooley

You know, hadn't considered translation error.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Help! My coil's rotting inside my tank!

I don't think e-juice rots too much of anything. It's not like the whole Coca-Cola thing where you can dissolve a tooth in it overnight.

Anna

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Opinionated

Opinionated ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Here's the thing. Just like some ejuice flavors would react (chemically) with cheap plastics of old, (much like mixing vinegar and baking soda causes a chemical reaction) they can also react with cheap paints..

Thing is, we've known this for years! it was known long before I started vaping, and I've been vaping for years.

What the company apparently doesn't want to say, is that they know there is a known problem and simply refuse to compensate for the problem by using a better finish, one which doesn't react poorly with some ejuices..

Here's the thing though, the drag is inexpensive and it's apparent from this one of the reasons why is that they are using cheap paints for their finish. I guess its a give and take when the price point is so low, and I'd certainly rather the problem be the finish (which can be sanded down ourselves) than the board or other key components, but I'm disappointed in a company who won't at least take responsibility for their own cost cutting measures.

I guess perhaps we shouldn't expect them to say " oh, we use cheaper paint to keep costs low" but it sure would be nice!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Au contraire. E-liquids (especially tank crackers) have been known to affect various plastics and finishes for years. In the "early days" of vaping, there were certain flavors you just didn't use in the plastic clearo's.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. jfcooley

Liability has kept companies from owning mistakes/dumb decisions. I get that. Always someone wanting to make a buck.

It's little things though. If someone owns a screw up I have much more respect for them then the one that makes an excuse.

These chips aren't killing me. A topic yesterday prompted me to question them. I would have accepted a "whoops" or "what'd ya expect for $60?". This I found lazy.

And funny.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Thanks Retired1, I haven't experienced a tank cracking juice yet so I tend not to think about that.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  11. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    That's because manufacturers changed the materials they used in/for tanks once the problem was known... it's something you will likely never see now as a result.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Well, sorta kinda. Depends on how "old school" one tends to be. :D

I have to be careful on what I use in my original RSSTs (plastic tank). The newer glass ones are worry free, though. And you can still get those gas station rigs that include the venerable CE4 clearomizers which are still extremely prone to cracking with certain e-liquids.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. jfcooley

When that happened, did the manufacturer replace the plastic or were you just out of luck?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I started vaping with the ce4's, and honestly I never had a problem with my cinnamon roll type flavors. It may have been the flavors I was using never had enough cinnamon or other flavors to cause the same reaction, and it may be I saw those ce4's as a disposable part and put on a new one every week or so, but I never encountered the problem earlier tanks had..

• Like Like x 4
  15. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Just out of luck and told not to use e juice in them... Hahaha

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Coastal Cowboy

Coastal Cowboy This aggression will not stand, man! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2013
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Cinnamon, citrus, pineapple and some mint flavors were a death sentence for polycarbonate tanks like the Evod.

MBV had a running list of tank crackers.

E-Juice Flavors That May Break a Plastic Tank - Mt Baker Vapor

It's no stretch to see those flavors degrading the finishes of our devices.

Some of the manufacturers are now coating their devices with ceramic stuff that's scratch and juice resistant.

• Like Like x 3
  17. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    You used tank crackers at your own risk. If it ate the plastic, you just replaced the clearo. This was not something that was a fault of the manufacturer.

Here's a thread that's been around for a very long time on ECF.

Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

• Like Like x 6
  18. jfcooley

Well now, I have something to think about. Bought a mod that I'm going to refinish.

Was planning a candy coat with a couple coats of clear polycarbonate.

Will have to see if juice has any effect on that.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Your probably going to have better luck with various heat safe ceramic paints..

• Like Like x 4
  20. jfcooley

I'll have to look into those. Hoping to get a good finish on this thing after it arrives. Plan on taking time in prep. Never painted a mod, should be fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.