Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
When I started vaping I got cankor sores in my mouth that have been there for these last two months. Canker sores are small shallow ulcers that appear in the mouth and often make eating and talking uncomfortable. I've been putting up with it because I want the e-cig to work so badly.

I figure it had something to do with an ingredient in the liquids I've been vaping. I've been vaping liquids from different suppliers. Some liquids made them worse and some liquids not as bad. So I did a mix of PG/VG/Menthol Crystals and vaped that for a few days. The cankor sores cleared up but yuck!! So I know it is not the PG, VG, or menthol causing the cankor sores.

I was reading on the forum about ECOpure and decided to give it a go. I ordered a 20 ml bottle of 18 mg nicotine menthol and a 20 ml bottle of 0 nic menthol ECOpure liquid from intellicig.com and have been vaping it for a couple of days now.

Over these last two days, the cankor sores have cleared up significantly and are almost gone. Woo-hoo!

And I like the ECOpure quite a lot. It gives lots of vapor and a quality throat hit. Even the 0 nic has great vapor and a nice throat hit which surprised me. Now I know I can eventually get to 0 nic if I wanted to and not lose that throat hit. The 18 mg was actually giving me too much of a throat hit so I mixed the 18 mg with the 0 nic to get 9 mg and it's just right with the throat hit. Another thing I've noticed is that if I get liquid on or in my mouth it doesn't have that nasty burning foul taste that other liquids have.

So I was looking at the ingredients listed on the bottle.

1. v/v Nicotine: I couldn't find what the v/v stands for.

2. V/Glycerol (vegetable glycerol): a chemical compound also commonly called glycerin or glycerine. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is widely used in pharmaceutical formulations.

3. Ethyl maltol: discovered in the 1970s. It was originally isolated from larch tree bark and is produced through fermentation-organic synthesis. Ethyl maltol occurs naturally in cereal, bread crust, coffee, and cocoa. This substance is also used as a flavor enhancer because it tends to mask bad tasting chemicals, and heightens richness and creamyness. The compound has been employed as a flavor enhancer in wine, chocolate, vanilla, fruit flavored drinks, pastries, candy, tobacco, cosmetics, and medicines.

4. Menthol: well, we know what menthol is.

5. Other < 1%: must be the "secret" ingredient(s)???

So then this got me to wondering what the ingredient was in the other liquids I had been vaping that would cause the cankor sores. All of them caused the cankor sores and some aggravated them more than others.

I have liquids from several suppliers, but only Totally Wicked lists the ingredients on the bottle that I have. I have no idea what the other suppliers ingredients are, but these are Totally Wicked's ingredients.

1. Tobacco essencial oil <5% (essencial should be essential - for flavoring)

2. Tobacco lead oil <5% (lead should be leaf - for flavoring)

3. Nicotine (from tobacco leaf) <3%

4. 2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine <1% (for flavoring - 2,3,5-Trimethylpyrazine is excreted by ants as a way to communicate with other members of the species. It is a volatile, colorless liquid that is soluble in water and in most organic solvents. It has a nutty, roasted smell)

5. 2,3,5,6-Tetramethylpyrazine <1% (for flavoring - 2,3,5,6-Tetramethylpyrazine is an active ingredient originally isolated from Ligusticum wallichii, a flowering plant in the carrot family)

6. 2,5-Dimethylpyrazine <1% (for flavoring - 2,5-Dimethylpyrazine is found in the poison gland of worker ants. It has a fried peanut or potato-like flavor. It is also an ingredient in cigarettes)

7. 2-Acetypyrazine <1% (should be Acetylpyrazine - for flavoring - added to cigarettes to give a popcorn-like flavor and aroma to the tobacco)

8. 2-Methyl butyic acid <1% (should be methyl butyric acid - for flavoring - naturally found in apples, apricots, cocoa, oriental tobacco, vinegar)

9. Terp ineol <1% (should be Terpineol - for flavoring - naturally occurring monoterpene alcohol that has been isolated from a variety of sources such as cajuput oil, pine oil, and petitgrain oil. Has a pleasant odor similar to lilac and is a common ingredient in perfumes, cosmetics, and flavors)

10. Ethyl maltol <1% (for flavoring - see above description)

11. Guaiacol <1% (for flavoring - colourless aromatic oil derived from guaiacum or wood creosote - adds a smokey taste)

12. Acetyl pyridine <2% (for flavoring - naturally found in cocoa, coffee, roasted peanuts)

13. Octalactone(gamma) <1% (for flavoring - found in oak wood and produced by oxen, sheep, goats - has a fruity flavor)

14. Pure water <10%

15. Propylene glycol >65% (a colorless clear viscous liquid, produces a faintly sweet ordor and taste)

16. Glycerol <20% (see above description)

Well, I'll probably never know the ingredient or ingredients that caused the cankor sores, but I'm a thinkin' I'm a gonna sell my other liquids and figure the ECOpure is a keeper!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here because I haven't seen much talk of cankor sores, but it sure is good to finally get relief from it and still get a good vape. I just thought I was going to have to put up with it, but guess I don't!

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I am not a doctor, but to my knowledge the only thing that causes canker sores is the herp! Some things can exsassorbate a cankor sore, but not be the cause of it. My opinion would be that you might have gotten exposed to it, and your break-out and vaping just happened to coincide.
My best,
-VP

You're confusing cankor sores with cold sores!

What Causes Canker Sores?

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods – including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) – can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger canker sores.

Are Cold Sores Another Name for Canker Sores?

No, although cold sores and canker sores are often confused for each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called a fever blister or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious. Also, cold sores typically appear outside the mouth – usually, under the nose, around the lips, or under the chin while canker sores occur inside the mouth.

Excerpt from WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/canker-sores

Last edited:

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
You're confusing cankor sores with cold sores!

What Causes Canker Sores?

The exact cause of most canker sores is unknown. Stress or tissue injury is thought to be the cause of simple canker sores. Certain foods – including citrus or acidic fruits and vegetables (such as lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, and strawberries) – can trigger a canker sore or make the problem worse. Sometimes a sharp tooth surface or dental appliance, such as braces or ill-fitting dentures, might also trigger canker sores.

Are Cold Sores Another Name for Canker Sores?

No, although cold sores and canker sores are often confused for each other, they are not the same. Cold sores, also called a fever blister or herpes simplex type 1, are groups of painful, fluid-filled blisters. Unlike canker sores, cold sores are caused by a virus and are extremely contagious. Also, cold sores typically appear outside the mouth – usually, under the nose, around the lips, or under the chin while canker sores occur inside the mouth.

Excerpt from WebMD:
Learn More About Canker Sores

Thank you much! I stand corrected... The stuff I learn everyday! lol
My best,
-VP

Palmetto

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
USA
Well, I'll probably never know the ingredient or ingredients that caused the cankor sores, but I'm a thinkin' I'm a gonna sell my other liquids and figure the ECOpure is a keeper!

Well, Ecopure doesn't appear to have any PG in it, while TW is about 65% PG, and most other suppliers liquid is PG-based as well, so that might be a clue.:)

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Well, Ecopure doesn't appear to have any PG in it, while TW is about 65% PG, and most other suppliers liquid is PG-based as well, so that might be a clue.:)

:confused:

READ what I wrote in my OP:

So I did a mix of PG/VG/Menthol Crystals and vaped that for a few days. The cankor sores cleared up but yuck!! So I know it is not the PG, VG, or menthol causing the cankor sores.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Mamu, the flavoring list has enough stuff to cause some folks to have a allergy reaction to other e-liquid. Most everyone thinks of pg or vg as the problem, when it don't take but a 1/2 drop of something to cause allergy reaction. I consider the flavoring to be the probable cause of most vaping problems.

You're on the right track there. I figured it was a flavoring, but haven't a clue to which one or more. I'm wondering if all those flavorings are really necessary or why put so many in?

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Mamu, thanks for this thread. After 3 months of vaping, I got a canker sore last week. Hurt like the dickens and I only got them if I ate too many tomatoes or drank lemonade. I find it's been happening more when I mix my own and add VG...not sure, but I''m Dr. Frankensteining myself now to make sure :p Haven't heard of too many complaining about a prob. with VG though so maybe it's me

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
v/v = volume/volume as in 1mL/100mL

w/v = weight/volume as in 1g/1mL

(36mg/mL is a w/v expression)

Aah yes...I see...thanks!

Mamu, thanks for this thread. After 3 months of vaping, I got a canker sore last week. Hurt like the dickens and I only got them if I ate too many tomatoes or drank lemonade. I find it's been happening more when I mix my own and add VG...not sure, but I''m Dr. Frankensteining myself now to make sure :p Haven't heard of too many complaining about a prob. with VG though so maybe it's me

Yeah, they can get painful at times. My canker sores are totally gone now for the first time since I started vaping. But I so liked Totally Wicked's liquid :(

I think just about anything that's an ingredient could be a culprit for someone who's allergic to certain foods. Then once you start eliminating ingredients you might find the cause. I think mine was one or more of the flavorings, but I'll probably never know.

Maybe something's in the VG you bought. I got mine from Lorann's and haven't had a problem with it as being the source. Go figure, huh?

ShimmyPrincess

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2009
The Windy City
Don't go into panic about 'allergies' causing mouth ulcers (what we call 'canker sores' in the UK). Just do a google search on these and giving up / quitting smoking and you'll see that it is a normal reaction for the body.

I'm not saying I'm having an allergic reaction. It's almost 4 months of vaping and now the sores. I have quit analogs before for almost a year and I know sores are quite common in the beginning...not almost 4 months later

just saying ;)

BTW, I use sensodyne toothpaste too...maybe that's it :rolleyes: haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread