Status
Not open for further replies.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
A couple of years ago, I downloaded the Excel spreadsheet offered by Scubabatdan to help with my DIY experiments. Dan obviously put a lot of work into it, and I studied it very closely. I love working with Excel, so I started playing around with Dan's spreadsheets and customizing them to fit my own needs. My variations of Dan's spreadsheets kind of took on a life of their own, and I kept playing around with the variations until it had a much different look and worked in much different ways.

At one point during the development, I emailed Dan to show him what I had been doing, but I never got a reply, so I don't know if he even saw it. I kind of hope he didn't examine it, because shortly after sending him my Excel file, I discovered some major flaws in my calculations! Of course, I quickly fixed those flaws, and I continued to play around with my version, developing my variations, until it became a whole different animal in many ways.

My workbook is also coupled with a Word file called "Recipes" that is a compilation of recipe cards, graphic images captured from the Excel Recipe card that Dan first invented and I later customized. I found a VB macro that allows for copying the Recipe Card image in Excel and pasting it to the end of the Word file with the click of a button on the Excel sheet. The button is right next to the Recipe Card in Excel, so if a recipe is displayed on the sheet and you want to add it to the Word Recipe Book, just click the button and it opens that Word file and pastes the recipe at the end, so you can keep adding recipes. The Word file has two recipe cards per page, so you can print them out and they're a nice big size you can keep handy when making a batch.

There are several other macros spread throughout the different tabs of the Excel workbook. The most interesting and useful of these is the All-in-One tab, which has a lot of bells and whistles, and even a Toy Box. The Toy Box came about recently when forum member and blogger "Hoosier" suggested a couple of items on his wish list for an e-liquid calculator, and I figured out ways to accomplish them. They are fun and geeky, maybe not entirely useful to the average DIY mixer, but, hey, they're fun and geeky!

So, with a tip of the hat to Scubabatdan for his original versions, I now offer my version, obviously based on his work, but with a much different feel and utility. The download link is on the web page in my signature, so visit the website, take a look, and if you want to download it and try it out or just check it out, please feel free. I hope it is useful or fun for some of the DIY e-liquid folks.

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
As the beta tester I can say Steve has put a bit of work into this calculator and it seems like a labor of love. He may call it the Toybox, but I see it as the Tweaker's palate. It's pretty nice for running tweaks on the mix that is almost there.

Thank you, Hoosier! Yes, it was a lot of work, but a labor of love, a hobby if you will. I'm glad you have found it useful, and I appreciate the help you provided to me in eradicating the bugs.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Steve, outstanding project!!! Thanx for sharing...
thumbsup.gif

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
sgenn99, stressmama, and Iffy... thank you for your comments, and I hope I pass the audition!
amazing work thanks! i'm going to start diy soon and this is a huge aid!

probably I'm asking too much or something difficult, but is there a way this could be hosted somewhere and people begin to fill their recipes (would be amazing if we could also write down our reviews or descriptions of our own recipes in this colaborative sheet)

srcowell

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Kansas City, KS
amazing work thanks! i'm going to start diy soon and this is a huge aid!

probably I'm asking too much or something difficult, but is there a way this could be hosted somewhere and people begin to fill their recipes (would be amazing if we could also write down our reviews or descriptions of our own recipes in this colaborative sheet)

vapero,

Actually, I thought about posting my tutorial as a blog with comments from readers, which would be very easy to set up, at least for the purpose of adding recipes to the general body of work in the Recipe Book (Recipes.doc). And as more recipes come my way, or as I create more, I will add them to the Recipes.doc Word document and make it a separate download to keep it updated.

I can easily throw a Wordpress blog up at my website, so I will take closer look at that option. Thanks for the feedback!

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
I'm having issues with this working on a Mac is there anything I need to do get it to work right (dont say get a PC lol)
Thank you, Hoosier! Yes, it was a lot of work, but a labor of love, a hobby if you will. I'm glad you have found it useful, and I appreciate the help you provided to me in eradicating the bugs.

mecocina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Florida
I'm having issues with this working on a Mac is there anything I need to do get it to work right (dont say get a PC lol)

Hey JC...I have an old Mac (not intel) and couldn't get it to work either. I updated my XML converter...then opened the spreadsheet with the converter...enabled macros and it opened. I'm finally able to see it. HTH

Edit: I'm using Excel 2004 for Mac...everything works except when I enter my info in recipes. The mfg names are in the drop down list but no flavors are showing in the next cell. Will try to figure it out tomorrow.

Last edited:

mecocina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Florida
Hey JC...I have an old Mac (not intel) and couldn't get it to work either. I updated my XML converter...then opened the spreadsheet with the converter...enabled macros and it opened. I'm finally able to see it. HTH

Edit: I'm using Excel 2004 for Mac...everything works except when I enter my info in recipes. The mfg names are in the drop down list but no flavors are showing in the next cell. Will try to figure it out tomorrow.

The drop down list still doesn't show up so I copy and paste from the flavor list. I can't play with the toy box LOL. That's okay most of it works for me and now that I see what I was doing wrong in my previous formulations, I'm redoing all my recipes. This spreadsheet is a great tool. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread