e liquid condensation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Cummings

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2010
Just moved to Fort Hood, TX
If you are really this concerned with nicotive vapor condensation... and I don't mean to be rude...why are you vaping a liquid with nicotine in it? If its second hand vape you are worried about... it doesn't exist. I would assume baking out a room with high nicotine (36-48mg) liquid could have some affects to those around you... but none that are cancer causing. Other than that when you breathe this stuff in almost all the nicotince in the vapor is instantly absorbed into your lungs. So what comes out is water vapor, flavor, and trace amounts of nic. Nothing to be scared of. If the nic really scares you that much vape zero nic juice.

P.S. There is water in every liquid... and that is what condinsates first. If it looks like water, is thin like water, and tastes like water; Its probably just water. lol

Last edited:

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
PG is hygroscopic, meaning it sucks in moisture from any available source.

When the liquid is vaporized, it still does this, which is why cotton mouth is common, especially with high PG liquids. The condensation you are seeing is water. I have tasted it, does not have much of a taste, just makes things messy.

There is no need for concern regarding the condensation. Additionally, if your condensation is liquid colored, it could mean that your cart/atty is overfilled. The condensation I get is clear, all the time, even with dark liquids. However, I use a carto most of the time.

psl_shawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Florida
i would question the "water vapor" theory i can sit on my couch and vape and see a layer of vapor hang in the air for quite awhile actually, i do not think if it was just water vapor it would do that, and the condensation i get in my drip tip is definatley juice because of the taste , i just use paper towel and clean it occasionally.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
i would question the "water vapor" theory i can sit on my couch and vape and see a layer of vapor hang in the air for quite awhile actually, i do not think if it was just water vapor it would do that, and the condensation i get in my drip tip is definatley juice because of the taste , i just use paper towel and clean it occasionally.

perhaps its juice that has dripped down the sides of the tip from dripping?

lingering does not mean it's not basically water vapor, after all, fog lingers for hours, and that's just water vapor.

More likely, the vapor we exhale is a water saturated vapor of PG/VG.

i'd be curious to see if vapor is still produced in a vacuum, or other similar location where humidity is 0%

Last edited:

psl_shawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2010
Florida
perhaps its juice that has dripped down the sides of the tip from dripping?

lingering does not mean it's not basically water vapor, after all, fog lingers for hours, and that's just water vapor.

More likely, the vapor we exhale is a water saturated vapor of PG/VG.

i'd be curious to see if vapor is still produced in a vacuum, or other similar location where humidity is 0%

very true, i never thought about fog, i am not concerned about ecig vapor i was just surprised it is more dense then i was expecting.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
We don't actually know what is in exhaled vapor because, believe it or not, it has never been analysed. The closest thing to it is disco fog and that's what the vapor is, plus tiny amounts of flavor and nicotine.

Water by itself can condense as visible vapor but the process is facilitated by dust or similar in the air. The PG/VG produces a synergistic effect in that regard, it allows far more water vapor to be visible than would be the case even with dust to condense on. Mind you it can be thick if the airborne particulates are the right type - when I was a kid in London we use to have really bad smog sometimes in winter, due to the coal fires and factory fumes. When the fog came down and the smoke was bad, a smog got up that you couldn't see 10 feet through.

Mind you I'm so old I can remember the gaslight men and there can't be many who can do that :)

They were guys who cycled down the street and lit the street lamps, which were gas, with a long pole. With those gas lights going, a powder of snow on the ground and a good thick smog, you were in Jack The Ripper territory. Jeez am I that old? Must be...

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I believe that it is a watered-down version of juice. Why? When I drip, I remove the tip because it's easier to me than to try and get it through the hole without hitting the sides. (I have gotten too much juice in my mouth due to that.) Even though I started removing the tip, I still get juice in my mouth. Curious, I pulled the tip off and stuck it on my tongue and tasted juice. Curious still, I vaped a dark colored juice and dabbed the end of the tip on a paper towel finding that the color was almost identical to a drop of juice directly out of the bottle. Even more curious, I tapped the tip on a laminate table top alongside a bit of water. The water evaporated, but the drop sat there for days until I decided to clean it up.

I know we like to say "water vapor" when referring to vaping, but we're not vaporizing water, we are vaporizing PG, VG, nicotine, and flavorings. In truth, it would be "PG/VG nicotine and flavoring vapor" that we are inhaling/exhaling. This condenses on the inside of the tip as it passes through, not water.

These weren't controlled or metered experiments I did, but rather simple curiosity tests, so take it for what it's worth.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
I also remove the tip to drip,I never said I was worried about this ,I just wanted to know what is in it.

I seriously just can't aim well enough to get it through properly. :laugh: I've been looking at the Pyrex drip tips because I think glass would be smoother, and allow the juice/condensate to drip through/back better.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
The Pyrex drip tips are great Freaky. Between them and my new Super T stainless steel I'm getting spoiled. Juice glides through both. And, with the Pyrex you can see what it's doing too.

I'm waiting for Super T to get the whistle tips. My wife is liking dripping, but likes whistle tip carts better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread